The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

2015 Weather Thread

ozgirl - 26 August 2015 02:09 PM

Sorry we have to agree to disagree!

e.g the claim that by next week we will have half the snow pack of tomorrow’s measure…

im not saying it will be a metre at end of month now oz! that was my call when that ECL was looking like unloading rain not snow. but I don’t think tomorrows measurement will be anywhere near 2m either!
my guess….currently 150-160 . not taking into account the snow arriving tmoz. by next thurs be in the 190 range.next weeks storm has a lot of potential. put it this way. if you tossing up about going down then cause its sept, id be booking wink
the big mover on the graph will be deep creek, although it wont actually show the mass loss at that elevation at the end of last week.

LowGuido - 26 August 2015 04:32 PM

I think you people should stop arguing about the weather and get out there and ride it.
shred  shred

lol no arguments here mate, just differing points of view! unlike you most of us are stuck at home in the 9-5 grind thumbsdown

brenno - 26 August 2015 12:02 PM

unless this sept gets weekly storms, the end of next week
will most likely hail the peak in snow depth. mid next week is looking good
for a solid dump too!

Huh?

I really feel your posts are confusing!

And man I don’t debate going I just go!

I am lucky enough to not have to worry about booking anything!

brenno - 26 August 2015 05:24 PM
LowGuido - 26 August 2015 04:32 PM

I think you people should stop arguing about the weather and get out there and ride it.
shred  shred

lol no arguments here mate, just differing points of view! unlike you most of us are stuck at home in the 9-5 grind thumbsdown

yep no argument from me!

Just a passionate aussie snow lover who does want people to get turned off.

Yes there was a difference between friday and sunday last weekend the groomed and snow making areas are still very good skiing.

Yes high traffic areas were suffering - but i still think spencer’s creek has a few more weeks abovethe 1m mark!

And I stand by my claim that there is ALWAYS a September big storm

ozgirl - 26 August 2015 06:55 PM
brenno - 26 August 2015 12:02 PM

unless this sept gets weekly storms, the end of next week
will most likely hail the peak in snow depth. mid next week is looking good
for a solid dump too!

Huh?

I really feel your posts are confusing!

And man I don’t debate going I just go!

I am lucky enough to not have to worry about booking anything!

Oz, what im saying is that just before next weeks depth is taken there will be a decent dump. Its also start sept. The seasons really start to change fast then. The days get longer quicker, and temps are rising. Storms are generally smaller and move through faster.at best all this does is top up what is lost on bluebird days. Im not disagreeing about large sept storms, its just that after about the first week of sept the base starts to decline. We are in a major el nino yr, so the odds are more likely of not to much snow this sept. Even the storm we had this week was a freak in that it came from the SE, not west. Ive been out the backcountry in early sept one year and there was close to 1m of snow on the guth dam wall. We came back the following week and it was gone! There was 7 days of 8-10deg days that punished the snowpack. Thats September!

interesting…...after 45c, deep creek has a 13cm loss this week, and 3 mile dam is back to 0cm. yet
spencers creek reading has been withheld.(conveniently for the resorts) looks like 3 days of shitty weather has belted the lower elevations.

Im looking forward to seeing what it is like tomorrow, when i left Smiggs on Sunday it was grim. Not out of the ordinary for this time of year at all though. Also looking forward to seeing what it’s like up high on some of our secret spots. I suspect a lot of the rock drops that we were hitting last weekend are totally under now, especially around Guthega.

Heading backcountry on Monday, hopefully it snows 10cm or so tonight and with the freezing temps continuing it should be good. We did Blue Lake chute in mid November last year, and Club Lake in the last week of November of 2013. I honestly don’t think this year will be any different.

Keep us posted jake! I reckon smiggs is back to where it was when u left going by the hydro charts and cams. Poor lifties will cop shit from the punters this weekend…perisher sending out emails today saying they had 45cm, forgot to mention the rain though! Ive been in that position before, and long lift lines and snow not as expected usially frays some tempers….