The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Just got instructorship, planning to work half a season. Recommendations? :)

Hey guys grin

I recently got level 1 snowboard instructorship with SBINZ smile and I’m hoping to work part of the 15-16 season. I’m wondering where’s good to work; I’m open to all countries, but more inclined to Europe, Canada or US. I’m currently doing uni in Australia so I’ll start anywhere from early Dec to before Christmas and end mid-Feb after Chinese New Year.

Here are my considerations:

Accessibility
- I don’t drive, so I’m hoping for somewhere that’s easy to get to from the airport.
- Good public transport/regular shuttles to nearby towns in case I want to stock up on groceries/travel a bit

Learning
- Hoping to move on to ski level 1 or snowboard level 2 just to improve (not keen on a career)
- Looking for friendly, close-knit culture among instructors and to ride and get tips from those better than me
- If I go to a big resort, will I just be another face in the crowd of level 1s?
- If I go to a small resort, will the few level 3s/4s be just exhausted since all the level 1s will be asking for tips/help

Culture
- I’d prefer somewhere not so focused on profits, for eg, unpaid days off to go riding
- I’m a sleep early, rise early person. A moderate party culture is fine but not somewhere where people bash on doors or shout loudly at 2am.
- I’m fluent in Mandarin Chinese so a place with some China/Taiwanese tourists is a bonus

I’m fluent in Engish (1st language) and Mandarin Chinese and am an Australian citizen.

Anyone has any experience/recommendations? Or even just to point me in the right direction (big/small resorts, specific countries)?

Thanks for any information smile

Ian Yap

ianyapxw - 29 July 2015 09:21 PM

I’m fluent in Engish (1st language) and Mandarin Chinese and am an Australian citizen.

Kevin????? Is that you?????

Only jokin!!!!!

But in all seriousness, I’d look at Niseko cause that ticks all your boxes!!!!!

Sorry I can’t help with settin anythin else up, but try here http://niseko.jaga.io to see if anyone’s got some info or leads!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 30 July 2015 02:17 PM

Only jokin!!!!!

But in all seriousness, I’d look at Niseko cause that ticks all your boxes!!!!!

Sorry I can’t help with settin anythin else up, but try here http://niseko.jaga.io to see if anyone’s got some info or leads!!!!!

Sure man!  Thanks for the suggestion smile

Welcome to Boardworld, ianyapxw. Congratulations on getting your certification! shaka

My initial thought is look at less busy/popular resorts in Canada or the USA. I think your biggest issue will be the late start date and early finishing date. This would immediately rule you out of places like Whistler Blackcomb as they generally require you to be there for the entire season. But the smaller resorts might be more flexible with this. I think the dates will be your biggest hurdle, so keep your options open and hit up as many resorts as you can.

Also, do you have a work visa for any of the mentioned countries yet? They will want to know you have a valid work visa before they offer you a job.

Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Thanks for the reply smile

My current plan is to apply to resorts all over.  Unfortunately I don’t have any visa at the moment as I got my instructorship only last week and I’m only now looking at employment.

My advice would be to focus in on a particular country and start working on getting your work visa ASAP. That would be the first step. Then you can start applying to all the resorts in that country, knowing you will have a work visa to work there. The visas can take some time to come through so I would start working on this immediately.

Yeah man! smile

I’ve applied to Grouse already, will look into a Canadian visa tomorrow and focus my efforts there.  I’ve heard that (public transport wise) Canadian resorts are generally more accessible and there’s definitely no time for me to look to the US.

Canada is a safe bet. I’d also keep your options open and look outside of the Vancouver resorts. The last two seasons were really bad and the Vancouver resorts had no snow! Look into Whistler Blackcomb, Big White, Sun Peaks, Fernie, Sunshine, Revelstoke etc. Whistler Blackcomb will be difficult because of the time as I mentioned, but the others might be more lenient.

Thanks for those suggestions!

Any other resorts that would be relatively accessible in Canada?  I have zero idea about Canada as I’ve only been to Australia, New Zealand and Japan :(

This list is also really confusing :(

Any of the resorts I listed would be fine in terms of accessibility. And those are the main ones you should probably look at first. Example: For Big White you would fly into Kelowna from Vancouver, then it’s like a 1 hour bus ride to the resort.

I would just keep your options open outside of Vancouver. If it’s another poor season, you won’t be doing much snowboarding. The other resorts are better equipped and receive more snow.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cypress-mountain-closes-due-to-lack-of-snow-in-vancouver-1.2952523

Wow!  I didn’t know it’s that bad.  When I heard lack of snowfall I thought like just tons of fake snow like Perisher!

Revelstoke is only willing to take level 2s or above :(

At the moment all options are open lol.  I’m just hoping -anyone- will take me

Last season was a shocker. All the Vancouver resorts had to close. And when they were open it was like one run of man-made snow. Keep your options open! wink

wow… you mean like for most of the season?

That’s pretty horrible given how much Aussies bitch about their snow

That’s right. It wasn’t pretty. One of the worst on record.

ianyapxw - 05 August 2015 08:32 PM

Wow!  I didn’t know it’s that bad.  When I heard lack of snowfall I thought like just tons of fake snow like Perisher!

Revelstoke is only willing to take level 2s or above :(

At the moment all options are open lol.  I’m just hoping -anyone- will take me

I don’t think you realise why Revelstoke only takes Level 2s and up. (think Whistler is the same)

Because the mountain at Revvie is so extreme that teaching beginners is still quite a difficult task and can quite often be in powder since it snows so much there on average!

———————————————-

As a level 1, I’d be seriously considering the smaller mountains outside Vancouver. Everywhere is accessible without a car (though might involve a few different modes of transport).

Look into the megathread for a pic and list of all the mountains: http://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/18391

And I’d say apply at these ones at least:
1. Big White / Silverstar / Sun Peaks - Large interior mountains about 4h from Vancouver. Quite family friendly and always groomed beginner runs. Large corporate mountains with large instructor programs.
2. Kimberley / Fernie / Red - Closer to the US and Alberta borders. A mix of family friendly and hardcore terrain. All will have large and decent instructor programs.
3. Manning Park / Apex / Nakiska - Smaller mountains, much easier to get work since it’s harder for them to attract non-locals. You’ll quite often have a better students (since they are locals mountains) and will be learning more from locals who have been long term instructors at the mountain.