The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What’s your snow chariot?

AJ2theC - 03 July 2015 12:31 PM

When I got married the race car was the first thing to go, but I compromised with a dope snow car:

I may have agreed to this before I got married too. Admittably the Ford XR5 is not really an ideal family car (4 seater with recaro seats).. I did try to explain to the husband that we will just use his car for future baby and I can keep my XR5. Apparently not… We have compromised on a Subaru WRX as it ticks the performance/family/snow boxes. Not quite ready to say goodbye to the XR5 just yet though.

As far as a snow car goes the XR5 has a few benefits, namely, heated leather seats (BEST!) and plenty of space in the back if you fold the seats down. Unfortunately FWD coupled with minimal guard clearance which makes putting on chains a nightmare, means it’s not a great snow car.

Luckily the husband just got a new work car, a Toyota Hilux, so we’ll be bringing that up to Perisher in a few weeks and the Shred.

^ yay, Perisher :D

I take my Toyota 86… Managed to find roof racks for it. But i have tested and you can fit boards in the back.
Never driven it on snow though. Just to the tube station.

^ yay, Perisher :D

I take my Toyota 86… Managed to find roof racks for it. But i have tested and you can fit boards in the back.
Never driven it on snow though. Just to the tube station.

I can’t put chains on my car at all so my car will never go anywhere near the mountains if it looks like snow may fall!

blizzard_22 - 25 June 2015 09:31 PM

We only drive to the skitube, but we have just recently bought a Subaru XV and love it.

Previous couple years been driving my car, SV6 Commodore!

How does the Subaru XV go? I keep seeing them around haha they look sick.

AJ2theC - 03 July 2015 12:31 PM

When I got married the race car was the first thing to go, but I compromised with a dope snow car:

It’s a 2008 VW Touareg. I picked it up four years old for about 1/3 of the outrageous original retail price. The Touareg is about 70% Cayenne (pretty much the same, less the driveline), which is as close as I’ll be getting to a Porsche any time soon. It’s got airbags, giant stereo and all the other fruit. Great snow car.

Hey AJ, which engine is in that one? I might be running with outdated thinking but I’m a little scared to own a German car out of warranty, I’ll be selling this once the 3 years are up and buying a new one. I don’t mind depreciation, I write it all off on tax and it’s a known quantity prior to purchase anyway.

With that said the warranty on the VW was one of the best things, 3 years unlimited vs 3 years 100,000kms for almost everything else in the class.

The same could be said about the Touareg and the Q7 thought? I look around the engine bay of mine and audi parts are all over the place.

Tex287 - 04 July 2015 12:07 AM
blizzard_22 - 25 June 2015 09:31 PM

We only drive to the skitube, but we have just recently bought a Subaru XV and love it.

Previous couple years been driving my car, SV6 Commodore!

How does the Subaru XV go? I keep seeing them around haha they look sick.

Subaru XV is absolutely awesome! We got the top of the range model and there are so many awesome little features! If we didn’t have skitube passes for the season we would just drive up the hill.

It’s just as comfortable as my commodore, only less room in the back seat, but that doesn’t bother me cause most of the time I am driving LOL