The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your three must-have travel items. What are they?

What are your three must-have travel items?

Since Michelle and I are currently backpacking in Europe, I thought this would be an interesting and beneficial thread to start. I’m going to to request you don’t mention the following items, as I feel everyone travels with them these days. It will be more interesting and beneficial to talk about the lesser-known, highly beneficial travel items you’ve come across. Don’t mention: phone, tablet, laptop, camera, music etc. These things are all common place.

I’ll start with what I’ve found myself using and appreciating the most on our current travels.

ITEM 1:
Packable/lightweight extra backpack. I bought this one for about $15 before our trip. It’s super lightweight (honestly weighs nothing), packs into itself, it’s remarkably durable, and takes up no room at all. Because we are travelling with very limited luggage and space, our regular small backpacks are filled with valuables, important documents, money etc. We don’t want to unpack everything from our backpacks, just to have a backpack available to go out for the day. This is where the packable backpack comes in. This is the one we use every day when we go exploring. It holds everything we need… water, food, clothes, camera, money etc. We would be lost without it.

ITEM 2:
The next item I is my Kobo Aura e-reader. I’ve always enjoyed reading books when travelling, but wow, this makes life so much easier. It’s loaded with heaps of books, it’s so small and lightweight, and even the ergonomics of reading are so much better (the glow light when I need, the size to fit in my hand) etc. This is the first trip I’ve used an e-reader and I’m definitely converted. This (or any e-reader) is a must-have if you enjoy reading. No more lugging a brick in my backpack!

ITEM 3:
The last item fills a pretty basic need: a pillow. We are staying in hostels, pensions, and Airbnb accommodation during our trip. As we expected, the pillows are horrible, and you never know what you’re going to get. After a long day exploring a city, the last thing you need is a bad pillow. That said, we’ve used many travel pillows in the past, but none are as good as the one we purchased from MEC (Canada) before we left. It’s actually really comfortable and honestly the best pillow we’ve had available on our travels so far… so we’ve been using them every night. It’s self inflating, filled with some sort of foam/filling for extra support and comfort, and it packs into nothing and is super lightweight. Definitely a must-have on our current travels.

That’s it for me. What are your must-have travel items?

Plug converter, and a power board. Saves buying multiple converters.

Also have my leatherman… has come in handy every trip i have made so far…until it was confiscated (along with my powerboard) going to an even in Holland… :/
They put them in the office, and the leatherman “went missing” but got the powerboard back.

Oh and a towel… you always need your towel. ;P

So how does Michelle feel about not even makin the list?????

I used to say my Kindle (ereader) until i got my tablet.

Now cause the tablet is a def - there is no point taking the kindle as well. But i agree it is so much more convenient than taking books everywhere!

I agree with you about the extra backpack. I kind of have them same thing - I got a Burton Flight Deck and it came with a laptop bag, which somehow (i suspect due to the same reason you have stated) morphed into a day pack/handbag of sorts!

And the leatherman! That comes in handy a lot!

1 - Credit Cards/Debit Cards/Access to Financials etc!!!!!

2 - Travel Insurance!!!!! (why people still leave the country without cover just baffles the shit outta me)

3 - Medications, First Aid Supplies!!!!!

DR1F7R - 23 June 2015 03:39 AM

Plug converter, and a power board. Saves buying multiple converters.

Also have my leatherman… has come in handy every trip i have made so far…until it was confiscated (along with my powerboard) going to an even in Holland… :/
They put them in the office, and the leatherman “went missing” but got the powerboard back.

Oh and a towel… you always need your towel. ;P

oh spewing, the Leatherman was in your carry-on?

For me:

1. Camera, i never go anywhere without my camera

2. A pillow, i have slept straight on rocks, mud, concrete, bamboo, snow but having a decent pillow puts me straight to sleep.

3. Music, i find it relaxes me instantly, especially when im overseas for work

Mizu Kuma - 23 June 2015 10:02 AM

2 - Travel Insurance!!!!! (why people still leave the country without cover just baffles the shit outta me)

1. - multiple version types - people going overseas and expecting their one card to work perfectly… crazy!

2. it baffles me the amount of people who go to the aussie resorts without at least ambulance cover! FYI peeps. Its $200 for the ambulance from the bottom of the V8/Quad to the medical centre. And if you need one - chances are you are not in a position to refuse!

3. Meh - 9/10 they have better cheaper shit overseas! That’s more something on my list of bring homes!

ozgirl - 23 June 2015 10:34 AM

1. - multiple version types - people going overseas and expecting their one card to work perfectly… crazy!

2. it baffles me the amount of people who go to the aussie resorts without at least ambulance cover! FYI peeps. Its $200 for the ambulance from the bottom of the V8/Quad to the medical centre. And if you need one - chances are you are not in a position to refuse!

3. Meh - 9/10 they have better cheaper shit overseas! That’s more something on my list of bring homes!

2.2 Let alone the costs involved with a Chopper, and the inevitable price inflation of the Doc’s Consultation Fees!!!!! My Health Insurance covers me for those things over here though, so I don’t bother with local cover!!!!!

3.2 Prescription meds, plus some pain killers aren’t readily available in some countries (Japan comes to mind), plus non English speaking countries could pose some difficulty gettin what ya after, not to mention the 7:00am hangover mission to find a place that sells parecetolmol!!!!! Been there a couple times, I will never be in that position again so therefore I come prepared!!!!!

1. e-reader - makes flights and waiting go so much quicker

2. Ear plugs for when the walls are thin. Too many times have I been kept awake by loud tvs or the neighbours “having a good time”

3. Lip balm. Because it just helps me stay happy and out of the hotel for longer.

Mizu Kuma - 23 June 2015 11:37 AM

3.2 Prescription meds, plus some pain killers aren’t readily available in some countries (Japan comes to mind), plus non English speaking countries could pose some difficulty gettin what ya after, not to mention the 7:00am hangover mission to find a place that sells parecetolmol!!!!! Been there a couple times, I will never be in that position again so therefore I come prepared!!!!!

Exactly why i don’t take that stuff to Japan!

Codine is jail-able! (or something like that - a common drug in Aust that you shouldn’t take to Japan. So i am scared to take anything there!)

I had great success with over the counter cold and flu drugs in Tokyo!

The pictures are awesome!

Travelling a lot over the years i’ve never really had a “never leave home without” list, but in saying that if i had to think on this it would be…

DR1F7R - 23 June 2015 03:39 AM

Also have my leatherman…

Yup these little things are great! I have 3 kicking around. 1 for work, car and general purpose.

My laptop/ipad

Headphones to drown out noisy kids on that long haul flight

Lots of clean undies!! wink wink

1. Duct tape (surprised nobody has mentioned this?).  Good for repairs, sealing stuff and also for labelling.  Cable ties also useful.
2. Leatherman.  I also had one stolen from checked luggage in Bangkok.  From now on I will take a cheaper model.
3. Ear plugs - sleep is golden.

surferguy56 - 23 June 2015 12:50 PM

Headphones to drown out noisy kids on that long haul flight

I see this and raise you - NOISE Cancelling headphones!

Mudhoney - 23 June 2015 01:07 PM

1. Duct tape (surprised nobody has mentioned this?).  Good for repairs, sealing stuff and also for labelling.  Cable ties also useful.
2. Leatherman.  I also had one stolen from checked luggage in Bangkok.  From now on I will take a cheaper model.
3. Ear plugs - sleep is golden.

Yeah, I take duct tape & cableties on Aussie Holidays, but for some reason I never think of takin then OS!!!!!

I have never ever bought travel insurance. One of my work mates gives me grief about it all the time! I figure that even if something does happen next time I go on holidays, considering all the money not buying insurance I’ve saved in the past, I’ll still be up raspberry

Mine must have list would have to be something along the lines of

1. Kindle (so much better than lugging around kilo’s of books!)

2. Medications and note from doctor verifying that the medication is mine and I need it

3. Comfortable shoes!