The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best/most consistent month of the Japanese season?

cords - 09 July 2015 01:23 PM

ok so I’m home again from an awesome trip to Samoa and now keenly turneth mine eyes towards Nippon.

I’d like you experienced Nippon fans/residents to give me some feedback on my current ideas as I feel I’m still pretty uninformed.

Thoughts at present - a month away in total and aiming for 20-22 days riding and the rest getting between places and checking out Tokyo & maybe Kyoto if we have time. We are not and nor do we ever, go away to relax. We go away to see and do as much as we possibly can, so that is what we plan for. If we end up having a few down/relaxing days inserted because we’re exhausted, then we at least know that we tried. haha.

How to spend that month (which is looking like being from around Jan 19th-Feb 19th…ish)

Arrive in Tokyo and make our way to Hokkaido (tips on the best way to do this? Can you shinkansen it up there? and if so what is the trade off between time spent and money spent vs flying?) and spend 10ish days checking out as much of Niseko, Rusutsu and Furano as we can.

Fly through to Sapporo (Chitose) from Tokyo connecting, no Shink yet plus it’d take a few hours and only feasible if stopping at other destinations in northern Honshu, I reckon!!!!!

Booking flights SYD > CTS are pretty much same price as SYD > Tokyo anyways!!!!!

I reckon you guys should base yourselves out of Hirafu, so somewhere like Kutchan will give you guys cheaper accomodation and great local!!!!! Again, I see you guys hiring a car, and navigating resorts such as Niseko, Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro, and time permitting even a trip into a local Sapporo resort such as Tiene or Kokusai would be more than enough to fill 10 days of adventure!!!!!

Kutchan has added bonuses such as cheaper restaurants, and supermarkets!!!!!

Then head south again to Honshu and check out Hakuba and surrounds (myoko, nozawa, shiga kogen) if we can for 10ish days,

Then return to Tokyo and see the sights and chill a little bit before we fly home.

Here, if it were me, I would stay in Tokyo in the middle of the journey!!!!!

* Also allows you to Takkyubin (courier) your snow gear onto your next destination so no need to lug it around one of the worlds busiest cities!!!!!

Fly CTS > Tokyo, stay somewhere around Shinjuku, use the Yamanote Line to experience the bustle of Tokyo, then catch a Shinkansen out of Tokyo Station to Nagano!!!!!

From there, bus/train options, or even another car hire, are easy as!!!!!

From Nagano, you can train it down to Kyoto (I reckon you guys would like the place), then fly out of Osaka (Kansai) > Tokyo > SYD, or just Shinkansen back to Tokyo from Nagano and fly home!!!!!

For accommodation for those rough plans - is it feasible to get one lot of accommodation (in say, Niseko or Sapporo and Hakuba) to broadly base ourselves from and then taken transport options to the other places each day? Or should we look at hiring a car? Or would it be easier to take transport options between them and organise accommodation at each different place?

As for accomodation in this instance, basing yourselves in Nagano would require a bit of driving to/from the resorts, so maybe best to pick maybe 2 resorts (Nozawa & Myoko for eg), then use buses if you want a day trip out and transfer between accomodation?????

Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2015 01:50 PM

Here, if it were me, I would stay in Tokyo in the middle of the journey!!!!!

Fly CTS > Tokyo, stay somewhere around Shinjuku, use the Yamanote Line to experience the bustle of Tokyo, then catch a Shinkansen out of Tokyo Station to Nagano!!!!!

From there, bus/train options, or even another car hire, are easy as!!!!!

From Nagano, you can train it down to Kyoto (I reckon you guys would like the place), then fly out of Osaka (Kansai) > Tokyo > SYD, or just Shinkansen back to Tokyo from Nagano and fly home!!!!!

I am confused - are you contradicting yourself here? Or am i really confised?

I would put Tokyo at either end and fly local airport like i suggested back one page.

Mizu i was going to suggest cords stays in Kutchan but wasn’t sure of the accom options there?

Re Contradiction - Not sure what part you’re referrin to?????

Re Kutchan - Limited stuff in Kutchan, but I’d start there if I had wheels!!!!! Maybe Izumikyo 3 or Annupuri after that!!!!! (I know that Cords wouldn’t be happy in Hirafu, for both atmosphere nor price)

Thanks for all the info. My geography isn’t great yet so I’ll take some time to learn where all the places are that have been discussed and think about what you’ve suggested. Thanks!

Flights wise, I can see:

Syd-Tokyo direct return with JAL               $1164 each

Syd-Tokyo via Brisbane return with Qantas   $1089 each

Sydney to Sapporo via Tokyo with JAL
including internal flight back to Tokyo and
Tokyo to Sydney a few weeks later for         $1303 each

Sydney to Sapporo via Tokyo with Qantas
and as above                                       $1225 each

I think the Qantas Sapporo deal is good except that it offers the Tokyo - Sapporo flight only for the day after the Sydney to Tokyo flight….and the JAL one we keep on flying to Sapporo the same night. Couldn’t see a way to get a flight the same night with Qantas, it wasn’t an option?

Jetstar was gonna take ages longer just for Syd.Tokyo return and more than Jal or Qantas. Screw that….Unless they have a 2 for 1 sale….does anyone know when or if that might happen in the next couple of months?

cords - 09 July 2015 05:16 PM

I think the Qantas Sapporo deal is good except that it offers the Tokyo - Sapporo flight only for the day after the Sydney to Tokyo flight….and the JAL one we keep on flying to Sapporo the same night. Couldn’t see a way to get a flight the same night with Qantas, it wasn’t an option?

Can you explain this bit again?

haha sorry!  I was trying to not over complicate things by adding in too many dates and times, but I seem to have made it incomprehensible.

With JAL, we’d fly on the morning of 21st of January from Sydney, get to Tokyo about 5pm and fly to Sapporo that same evening around 7pm.

With Qantas, we’d fly the morning of the 21st from Sydney to Brisbane, then Tokyo…but then not fly to Sapporo until the next morning (22nd). I couldn’t see any way of changing this, even though I can see that JAL has almost hourly flights to Sapporo in the evening of the 21st.

So the JAL flight all the way to Sapporo in the one day is about $78pp more expensive…but we’d either be sleeping in the airport (getting too old for this!) or stumping up a payment for some kind of accommodation for the night of the 21st if we took the cheaper Qantas option.

So all this points (I think, anyway) to taking the JAL flights including Sapporo…but is $1303 each a ridiculous price and should hope and pray for some kind of other sale?

cords - 09 July 2015 05:16 PM

Thanks for all the info. My geography isn’t great yet so I’ll take some time to learn where all the places are that have been discussed and think about what you’ve suggested. Thanks!

Flights wise, I can see:

Syd-Tokyo direct return with JAL               $1164 each

Syd-Tokyo via Brisbane return with Qantas   $1089 each

Sydney to Sapporo via Tokyo with JAL
including internal flight back to Tokyo and
Tokyo to Sydney a few weeks later for         $1303 each

Sydney to Sapporo via Tokyo with Qantas
and as above                                       $1225 each

Jetstar was gonna take ages longer just for Syd.Tokyo return and more than Jal or Qantas. Screw that….Unless they have a 2 for 1 sale….does anyone know when or if that might happen in the next couple of months?

Just check if the flights in/out of Tokyo (same day connecting) are from the same airport, otherwise you will have to transfer by bus from Narita/Haneda at an added cost of ~ ¥3000!!!!!

Qantas Baggage is 1 x 32kg, JAL is 2 x 23kg, and by the time Jetstar add on all their extras I reckon you won’t be far off the others prices plus added stops along the way!!!!!

Can’t tell you when/if they’ll have a sale, but I can def tell you that JAL prices have increased since I booked a couple months ago!!!!!

Try using TripAdvisor to search for flights as they use multiple search engines?????

Also note that Jetsatr fly into one of the most inconvenient terminals in Tokyo too, so that’ll add extra inconvenience!!!!!

Whichever way you go it is most definitely worth checking the arrival and departure airport in Tokyo are the same.  I’ve done the transfer between a few times, but really there is no excuse for it - there are plenty of flights from both Narita and Haneda to/from Sapporo CTS.

I’d recommend checking out Kiroro while you’re up North, I visited for the first time last season and had a great day.  There’s a fabulous ice cream shop attached to a dairy on the way - awesome ice creams, cheese to die for and really really lovely milk.  Stock up!

Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2015 08:09 PM

Just check if the flights in/out of Tokyo (same day connecting) are from the same airport, otherwise you will have to transfer by bus from Narita/Haneda at an added cost of ~ ¥3000!!!!!

Qantas Baggage is 1 x 32kg, JAL is 2 x 23kg, and by the time Jetstar add on all their extras I reckon you won’t be far off the others prices plus added stops along the way!!!!!

Can’t tell you when/if they’ll have a sale, but I can def tell you that JAL prices have increased since I booked a couple months ago!!!!!

Try using TripAdvisor to search for flights as they use multiple search engines?????

Also note that Jetsatr fly into one of the most inconvenient terminals in Tokyo too, so that’ll add extra inconvenience!!!!!

Yep, the connecting from Tokyo to Sapporo is also from Narita airport. When we’d fly back from Sapporo it is to Haneda…but we wouldn’t be connecting on to any other flight at that point anyway, so no hassles.

Jetstar ruled themselves out by being more annoying and more expensive than the other two. I’d probably be swayed to book with them despite the inconvenience if they had a 2 for the price of 1 sale, though.

Used tripadvisor and they gave me the same price I found booking directly through JAL.

Did you book through to Sapporo with JAL? How much did you get it for?
Is $1300ish return to Sapporo a bad deal or reasonable? I’m not sure if/when it might get any cheaper - only more expensive?

cords - 09 July 2015 10:49 PM

Is $1300ish return to Sapporo a bad deal or reasonable? I’m not sure if/when it might get any cheaper - only more expensive?

It reasonable - very reasonable!

But you are prob going to have to stay overnight somewhere! either Tokyo before transferring to sapporo or Sapporo before transferring to Niseko - just like Mizu says! and Sapporo is a pita to transfer to. It is well away from the airport and there is no need to go there otherwise

I would serious consider either staying in Tokyo at the beginning or getting straight on the train to a Honshu resort.

Do what we are doing (ie LMB and I!) and after the Honshu resort (we are going to Myoko) fly up to sapporo. it *should* be only $100 using that link i supplied.

Do that in the morning - rent your car and take a leisurely drive up to the mountains in Hokaddio. Assuming you are doing self catering accom go to the suppermarket etc and get settled in.

*IF* you don’t do Tokyo straight of the plane do it at the end when you fly Sapporo to Tokyo.

cords - 09 July 2015 10:49 PM
Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2015 08:09 PM

Yep, the connecting from Tokyo to Sapporo is also from Narita airport. When we’d fly back from Sapporo it is to Haneda…but we wouldn’t be connecting on to any other flight at that point anyway, so no hassles.

Jetstar ruled themselves out by being more annoying and more expensive than the other two. I’d probably be swayed to book with them despite the inconvenience if they had a 2 for the price of 1 sale, though.

Used tripadvisor and they gave me the same price I found booking directly through JAL.

I booked my stint SYD > CTS, but my return leg is different!!!!!

As for ~ $1300 it’s definitely not a bad price compared to previous years, but as I mentioned in another thread, they were going for $990 a couple months ago!!!!! (Which was a bloody awesome deal)

I’m doin a multi leg that includes Asahikawa so I had to add another internal onto mine!!!!!

I also used an agent (Deep Powder Tours) as they can book internal visitor fares (Yokoso Pass) cheaper than you get yourself, plus they will match any airfares you’ll find as they are Wholesaler!!!!! (You don’t need to book accomo through them, although they might be able to help in regards to options)

JAL in/out of Narita, plus flying the same day, will save dollars!!!!! Just get to Chitose before 8:30 or so if you’re gonna get a bus to Niseko or you’ll have to stay at the Airport Hotel!!!!! (I actually like staying at the airport, cause it’s about $60pp included buffet breakfast, and a fresh start to the first full day) * Not sure what time Car Rentals closes?????

** If using the bus transfer to Niseko, book it or you could miss out!!!!! Around ¥3000, and can get a bus/lift option too!!!!! Google Goodsports Whiteliner or Chuo Bus!!!!!

As for CTS > Tokyo and into Haneda, that is perfect if you opt to stay in Tokyo in the middle (again, what I would do) as Haneda Airport is closer to the city than Narita, and there’s heaps of buses (Airport Limousine, look for the Orange Counter) that go to main accommodation areas in the city!!!!! (Again, stay around Shinjuku, experience Shinjuku Station’s hecticness using the Yamanote Line to see the city, then leaving Tokyo for Nagano using the Yamanouchi Line to Tokyo Station to catch the Shinkansen Asama)

Use Hyperdia (web site & app) to navigate trains, and other transfers!!!!!

Also, depending on how much you’ll be using the rail network, and your itinerary, look at the JR East Rail Pass cause it could work out cheaper!!!!!

* There’s a site that has options for posting questions about the rail passes, and it’s only a matter of giving them your itinerary and they’ll tell you if it’s worthwhile!!!!! Google JR Pass!!!!!

ok so we ended up booking….finally! So happy.

Jan 19th-Feb 18th. $1200 each including an internal return flight Tokyo-Sapporo. Pretty happy with that!

My next question is:

We fly in to Narita the night of the 19th and then fly out to Sapporo the next day just before lunch from Haneda (couldn’t get a flight the same night with Qantas, bastardos).

Just wondering which area(s) in Tokyo you guys would recommend staying for that night? We’ll have our snowboard bags with us so don’t want to be lugging our shiz around to some out of the way place and won’t be hanging around to check out any of the city at that point, we just will want somewhere easy to get to from Narita, comfortable to sleep in and rest after the whole day traveling, before heading out to Haneda to fly to Sapporo the next morning.

I know elsewhere you’ve recommended Shinjuku but I’m not sure if that will be the kind of thing we’re looking for just for that night. I’m wondering if we should try and hoof it directly to Haneda the night we fly in and stay somewhere near the airport there so we’re already there? Whaddayas think?

All hints appreciated.

Yep, I’d catch the Airport Limousine (Orange Buses easily found at the arrivals area) from Narita > Haneda (~¥3500), and stay near the airport ready to fly up to Chitose!!!!!