The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for a new board

So i demoed a Yes Basic last weekend and absolutely loved it. I currently own a Gnu Park Pickle and a Ride Machete, it felt just as stable as the machete at speed and almost as playful as the pickle. It just felt so good to ride, i still cant believe how much fun i had on it and how stable it felt.

My question is, i demoed the 156W, i am wondering about the 159W, i am 6’5” and 75kg. My machete is 157 and the pickle is 159, i felt as if the basic was a little easier to throw around than the pickle due to the shorter size? how would the 156 go in POW considering my height?Just to give you an idea of how i ride. I ride park; boxes, rails, and the biggest jump i’ve done is 30ft, i am still learning and not very good. I also spend a lot of time jibbing as my wife has only done 30 days on snow so far and i spend time with her. When i am not with her i do bomb runs and do fast carves, but most the time just do side hits and have fun. If i do get the basic i also plan to take it on my late spring backcountry missions.

Just stuck on the size, hit me with theories…....

Stoked to hear you got the opportunity to demo the Basic!

I would suggest the 156W. Height makes zero difference in pow. You only weigh 75kg and that’s all the board knows. Did the 156W feel stable at speed and hold an edge how you want it to? If so, I don’t see any reason to step up to the 159W.

You’ve already got more surface area (translation: float) due to the extra width of the wide version. Add the rockered nose and tail and I think you’ll float just fine with the 156W, especially in Australian pow.

Just a thought:

I would consider stepping up to the YES Typo 156W, which is essentially an upgraded Basic with a tiny bit more freeride/pow versatility. The only differences are: the Typo has a sintered base (will serve you well in spring!), and the stance is setback just slightly by 5mm — giving you a bit more freeride versatility and float. It’s still very much the same board… CamRock, twin shape, same materials, same flex etc.

After member discount, there is only a $45 price difference but the sintered base is a solid upgrade!
https://www.boardworld.com.au/products/yes-typo-156-wide-snowboard

Either way, I think you’ll be super stoked!

Yeh mate, the 156 felt solid, how would that setback be? i ride a fair bit switch, probably around 25% of my riding. The extruded base of the basic did worry me a little

The board is still a twin. It’s just the default stance (the hole pattern) is set back 5mm, which is absolutely minimal. It still rides switch like a dream. I tested the Typo and the Optimistic (which has double the setback of 10mm - which I also consider minimal) and it rides switch just as well as any true twin. Couldn’t even notice a difference. I ride switch a lot and I’m actually considering getting the Optimistic (it’s incredible).

Awesome, i’m going to go with the Typo then, to replace the machete.

@rider26: He’s 6’5” though Jez. If his stance is really wide (due to his height), it’ll make him have less nose than someone who’s 5’8” and is the same weight (and assumably rides a narrower stance than someone who’s 6’5”)

I do have my bindings set to the widest possible on all my boards. I dont feel like my machete that is 157 is too short though

skip11 - 23 June 2015 11:18 AM

@rider26: He’s 6’5” though Jez. If his stance is really wide (due to his height), it’ll make him have less nose than someone who’s 5’8” and is the same weight (and assumably rides a narrower stance than someone who’s 6’5”)

Stance width isn’t really relative to a riders height?????

But like Jez said, board volume ie Length & Width are best matched to a riders weight and/or what type of ridin they’re gonna be doin!!!!!

I’ve got a 157 (Non Wide) CamRock Twin in my Quiver, and I weigh in at 88kegs!!!!! It’s my smallest board though!!!!!

I recently purchased the Yes Typo 155 and finally got to ride it for a day! Compared to what I rode prior (Burton Clash), this was alot faster and more stable at higher speeds. I love the board, the only thing issue I have with it is it isn’t as flexy as my old board so it’s a little harder to press on my Typo. Any suggestions on making it a bit easier to press guys? Maybe widen my stance abit?

Franchise - 23 June 2015 02:00 PM

I recently purchased the Yes Typo 155 and finally got to ride it for a day! Compared to what I rode prior (Burton Clash), this was alot faster and more stable at higher speeds. I love the board, the only thing issue I have with it is it isn’t as flexy as my old board so it’s a little harder to press on my Typo. Any suggestions on making it a bit easier to press guys? Maybe widen my stance abit?

Hmmmmmm, i found the basic to be super easy to press, it was certainly not as flexy as my Gnu Park Pickle but with the basic i found it pretty effortless to press and it also felt stable when pressing at speed. Interesting, i thought the Typo was the same nose and tail flex as the Basic? I also found doing nose or tail rolls at speed pretty easy as well as it was stable but not catchy. maybe it just needs a bit of time to soften up more?

Jake - 23 June 2015 02:17 PM

Hmmmmmm, i found the basic to be super easy to press, it was certainly not as flexy as my Gnu Park Pickle but with the basic i found it pretty effortless to press and it also felt stable when pressing at speed. Interesting, i thought the Typo was the same nose and tail flex as the Basic? I also found doing nose or tail rolls at speed pretty easy as well as it was stable but not catchy. maybe it just needs a bit of time to soften up more?

Probably more to do with the Clash’s Rocker Profile!!!!!

Yeah you’re absolutely right Mizu Kuma!

Not saying its impossible to press, just saying it was alot stiffer than my previous board. I might widen up my stance and see if that will help a little. Regardless, I absolutely love my Yes Typo smile just need to get used to riding it more!

Franchise - 23 June 2015 03:18 PM

Yeah you’re absolutely right Mizu Kuma!

Not saying its impossible to press, just saying it was alot stiffer than my previous board. I might widen up my stance and see if that will help a little. Regardless, I absolutely love my Yes Typo smile just need to get used to riding it more!

Yeah, the Typo will most likely never be as easy to press as the Clash was, no matter what you do!!!!!

But on the same hand, the Typo will beat the Clash hands down when it comes to Bombin a line!!!!!

I guess if they came up with a board that could do it all, and better than any, we’d all be on the same stick!!!!!

It’s hard not to love the CamRock Profile though!!!!! Prob the best all rounder profile on the market, I reckon!!!!!

skip11 - 23 June 2015 11:18 AM

It’s still way less of a factor than his weight. If he doesn’t max out the stance then it really shouldn’t matter. Even with it maxed out, the only drawback will be he can’t set back the stance more than the reference of 5mm (as there won’t be any more holes to put the screws into). Even with him being tall and having a wide stance, the balance point and the float capabilities should be the same; the nose is shorter (than say if I rode it), but so is the tail. The centre point would essentially be essentially the same, and assuming we are the same weight, the float would be the exact same as well.

How tall are you? What’s your stance width? What are your binding angles set to?

You should be able to press the Typo. It will come down to two things: stance and technique.

Hit me back with the answers and we can talk about both. wink