The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board Advice

Hi guys newbie to the site and just looking in some advice for a new board. I have been riding a forum Youngblood 156 for the last 5 years and am looking for something new. I am currently tossing up between the Rome agent rocker and the Yes the greats. I like to mainly free ride around the mountain will hit jumps and bumps. I don’t go out of my way to hit the park but if the is a box on my travels I will usually hit it. Any advice from anyone would be awesome or recommendations for other board that are similar would be much appreciated.

First up, what’s your weight, height, boot size and binding angles?

With all this, we should be able to find some good options to help you progress smile

I am 182cm 90kg size 10 boots and med sized bindings. I have never properly had a board set up for me but usually ride a bit duckish and have both bindings set at 15 degrees turned out. My Youngblood is a 156cm but I am thinking at getting a 158cm in either of the boards I have mentioned.

Cool, yeah you definitely don’t need a wide board. And a 158 for all mountain riding is a good idea.

Those 2 boards you mentioned are different styles though. The Rome Agent Rocker is full rocker where as the Yes board is Cam Rock. Personally I prefer the Cam Rock because it has all the perks of a rocker board in pow etc but still has decent pop.

Some other options similar to these would be:
Burton Custom Flying V (If you have no objective to buying Burton or having to get ICS bindings)
Capita TFA
GNU Carbon Credit / Lib Tech Attack Banana
K2 Turbo Dream
Ride Machete
Solomon Villian

Though as always, if you can get to a demo day and give a few boards a go, you’ll find something awesome. If not, any of the above are similar to your style of riding and would all probably be a good choice.

Thanks heaps for the help I’ll have a look at the others. I almost bought the custom v on the weekend but after reading reviews it’s sounded like it was a bit unstable and washed out pretty easy in hard pack which is what I am going to mainly ride on here in Aus so decided against it. One other board I have just also noticed was the Jones mountain twin. Thoughts on that?

Haven’t ridden any Jones boards… The custom V was fine for me, I rode it in spring slush though and had a blast on it.

Here is me riding the Custom V at the shred a few years ago

Welcome to Boardworld, Adzy_23. cool grin

You’ve narrowed it down to two awesome boards. I tested both 2016 models at SIA earlier this year, and they were two of the best boards I tested. Both were in my top three (the other being the YES Optimistic).

Let me start by saying: you can’t go wrong with either board. They are both super fun, high performance, and versatile. The best thing I can do is explain the differences so you can make an informed choice. One of the big selling points for YES is their lifetime warranty on all boards. They are the only snowboard company in the world to offer this, as far as I’m aware. Both YES and Rome will have their 2016 boards available in Australia this season (we will be selling both when our new site launches in a few weeks).

The Greats has the CamRock profile, with camber between the feet and rocker in the nose and tail. In my opinion, CamRock is the best performing versatile profile on the market today. The Greats is more camber than it is rocker, so it performs at very high performance when riding hard. It likes to be ridden aggressively. Combining the 2-4-2 CamRock profile with the asymmetrical sidecut, and you have one of the best carving boards I’ve ever tested. It also has bamboo in the core (along with poplar), which I’m a huge fan of. Bamboo gives the board a really energetic yet playful feel, in my assessment anyway.

I also had the opportunity to test the Greats extensively after SIA (I rode it for five full days in Whistler in all conditions) so I got a taste for it in powder as well (we had one deep pow day). It floats really nicely considering it’s not full rocker or directional. The CamRock profile gives it adequate float in deep powder. I had absolutely no issues and at times I even tried to sink the nose; it wasn’t easy and the board definitely wants to float. To be honest, the Greats was the standout board I tested at SIA and one of the best boards I’ve ever ridden. It’s definitely a quiver killer; one board you can ride whether all-mountain, park, or pow, and regardless of your location or conditions. I could write about this for days, so just let me know if you have any specific questions.

The Agent Rocker has been redesigned for 2016, with a major change to their camber profile which has been mellowed out for 2016. It still has rocker between the feet and camber under the feet, however the contact points still touch the ground when unweighted. Again, this board is highly versatile and so much fun to ride. I was surprised at how well it carved and how stable it was at speeds, which is the main reason I don’t usually like rocker between my feet. I attribute this to the change in the profile. It’s responsive, playful, versatile, and quite honestly I just had a blast on it and didn’t want to get off.

You can’t lose here. Whichever board you decide to get, I think you’ll be blown away. Both amazing boards and I would highly recommend either. Hit me up with any questions at all.

I did also get the chance to ride the 2016 Burton Custom Flying V. I’ve always been a fan of Burton, but I really didn’t like the Flying V profile (I never have). The board itself is really nice; it’s a fun and versatile board. However, the V Rocker profile is unpredictable at times and felt pretty twitchy when I was trying to ride it hard, especially when carving. If you’re considering the Custom, I would recommend the regular camber version, not the Flying V version.

The Jones Mountain Twin is another winner. On paper, it’s similar to the Greats, with a bit more of a freeride approach (and it doesn’t have an asym sidecut). I haven’t had the opportunity to ride one myself, but I know several people who own one and I’ve only ever heard great feedback. My wife tested the Twin Sister at SIA and she loved it. Another board you really can’t go wrong with.

TJswish - 27 April 2015 07:47 PM

The Rome Agent Rocker is full rocker

That’s not correct. wink

Here’s a bit more info on the board and the camber profile.

Damn… wasn’t the old ones full rocker? Tricked me up!

I’ve got a Mountain Twin and love it, it is fairly stiff so great for carving and free riding. Had it on a few big jumps and my first try of pipe in Japan and it went great, probably not ideal for rails though.

Jez (or anyone who’s seen/ridden both) how would you compare the rides of a Mountain Twin and this years Greats? I want something a bit mellower but with the CamRock profile for riding this Aussie season, I’m pretty set on a Basic but can’t go past the Asym tech of the Greats. If the Greats and Mountain Twin are quite similar rides (which it sounds like they are, especially flex-wise) then I wouldn’t bother with one and grab a Basic instead.

Rider26 thanks heaps for all of the info it was exactly what I was looking for as you go into stores and everyone has there opinion which makes it difficult. But after getting all of their opinions and then reading reviews I had narrowed it down to those 2.

I guess my only question after reading all of your stuff would be which board do you think is more forgiving between the 2 with regards to catching edges etc.

TJswish - 28 April 2015 10:01 AM

Damn… wasn’t the old ones full rocker? Tricked me up!

Nup! Hybrid. raspberry

Adzy_23 - 28 April 2015 10:23 AM

I guess my only question after reading all of your stuff would be which board do you think is more forgiving between the 2 with regards to catching edges etc.

If that’s specifically how you’re looking at it, I would say the Greats would be less likely to catch an edge, as the contact points are elevated off the snow due to its profile. With the new Rome MtnPop 2.0 profile, the Agent Rocker has the contact points touching the snow when unweighted. I guess, technically, this would make it more likely to catch an edge, however it really shouldn’t be an issue with proper riding technique.

Did you get the private message I sent you? Hit the little envelope icon next to your screen name in the top menu.

Wizey - 28 April 2015 10:11 AM

I’ve got a Mountain Twin and love it, it is fairly stiff so great for carving and free riding. Had it on a few big jumps and my first try of pipe in Japan and it went great, probably not ideal for rails though.

Jez (or anyone who’s seen/ridden both) how would you compare the rides of a Mountain Twin and this years Greats? I want something a bit mellower but with the CamRock profile for riding this Aussie season, I’m pretty set on a Basic but can’t go past the Asym tech of the Greats. If the Greats and Mountain Twin are quite similar rides (which it sounds like they are, especially flex-wise) then I wouldn’t bother with one and grab a Basic instead.

They are similar but still different boards. The asym sidecut being a significant difference. The Greats is also a true twin. Unfortunately I haven’t ridden the Mountain Twin so I can’t give you an exact comparison based on ride.

In the YES range… the Basic has an extruded base, which is a definite downgrade from the Greats. If you can let go of the asym sidecut but you want something mellow like the Basic and with a sintered base, I would look at the Typo. It’s only $50 more than the Basic, same flex, but with a sintered base. If the sintered base isn’t too important to you, there’s no reason why the Basic shouldn’t serve you well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2KFePfx74 YES Greats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtPue9vZBg Mountain Twin

From these 2 videos, you can see that the Mt Twin looks to have more rocker than the Greats. So technically it should be a little looser. Mountain twin also has a setback of 3/4 inch so it’s not really a twin.