The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Aldi 2015 gear

aldi’s cheap snow gear catalogue is out.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/snow-gear-sat-16-may/

Fuck yeah I’m gunna load up on sleds for the park!!! Ski watch looks interesting too, the rest is typical aldi and will be typicallu violent shopping inducing.

always good fun trying to pick your kids out from all the others in identical Aldi gear

Watching people of all shapes and sizes trying on thermals .... next to the fruit and veg…

From what i’ve heard, for the price there is no comparison to the Aldi gear.

Though as Mud said, you will look like every other punter on the mountain.

The gear is good for the price.  I wouldn’t buy most of it as an adult except maybe the accessories (neck warmers etc, probably not the goggles or gloves).  Function wise it’s fine, but maybe doesn’t look the best or feel the plushest.  For kids it’s perfect - good function at a cheap price.  Last year my daughter was out all day with another kid who was wearing a Sypder (well known ski brand) jacket.  At the end of the day my daughter was perfectly dry in her Aldi jacket but her friend’s Spyder jacket was wet inside.

^ I see Aldi gear everywhere, from Japan to Canada, I still have and use the thermal compression stuff from a few years back and they seem to improve on what they have every year..

Mudhoney - 10 May 2015 09:08 PM

The gear is good for the price.  I wouldn’t buy most of it as an adult except maybe the accessories (neck warmers etc, probably not the goggles or gloves).  Function wise it’s fine, but maybe doesn’t look the best or feel the plushest.  For kids it’s perfect - good function at a cheap price.  Last year my daughter was out all day with another kid who was wearing a Sypder (well known ski brand) jacket.  At the end of the day my daughter was perfectly dry in her Aldi jacket but her friend’s Spyder jacket was wet inside.

The problem most likely with the Spyder jacket is that it’s probably tech from the 90’s handed down from multiple kids and not up to scratch anymore where as your aldi gear is practically new. I’d never buy Spyder myself as their designs tend to look terrible but I doubt they become that big of a ski brand if they don’t do a decent job of keeping you warm…

Or your daughter just didn’t fall and her friend fell a lot?

I work there and hate this day every year, it turns people into animals! The gear isn’t too bad, good ratings etc - it’s good fun to spot all the people down at the snow in Aldi gear, you know who to avoid when going down the slope haha

Yeah it’s an absolute pain trying to pick a friend on the slopes wearing an Aldi jacket. One point last season I remember thinking it was my friend coming down the hill and was so impressed by his incredibly fast progression for his 1st or 2nd day snowboarding I pulled out my phone and began recording to then realise he was actually 20m to the left in the process of scorpion-ing haha!

TJswish - 10 May 2015 11:53 PM
Mudhoney - 10 May 2015 09:08 PM

The problem most likely with the Spyder jacket is that it’s probably tech from the 90’s handed down from multiple kids and not up to scratch anymore where as your aldi gear is practically new. I’d never buy Spyder myself as their designs tend to look terrible but I doubt they become that big of a ski brand if they don’t do a decent job of keeping you warm…

Or your daughter just didn’t fall and her friend fell a lot?

Working as a lifty last year our uniform jacket was Spyder and it worked great. Never had any issues with warmth or getting wet, rode in it 90% of the time as well, FWIW.

Yeah dunno.  Both kids skiing at very similar level, very rarely fall.  Not sure how old Spyder jacket was but I doubt very old.  Was definitely wetter at end of day.  Anyway, point is Aldi jacket can perform well in bad weather which is what you want to know when you’re sending your kids out all day in it.