The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan 2015/16

My friends didn’t have much of an issue with transport, it was more that there was no where for dinner and drinks!

ozgirl - 24 June 2015 02:32 PM

Hukuba isn’t known for its nightlife.

Before you even mentioned that I was going to say stay in Tokyo for those first few days.

Also note - my friends just did NYE this past year and it was virtually a non event (and they have previously spent it in Niseko)

Basically you just go to Hachiko Square in Shibuya.

But this also gives you more time for the snow to fall - Christmas is touch and go for snow anywhere in the North Hem. Its the million dollar question of snow loves wanting to travel at Christmas/NY…

So delay arriving for a couple of days enjoy Tokyo over the Holiday season - also note Chinese New Year is their New Year, not our calendar one.

Myself and Jeremy have both stayed at The High Mont Hotel, It has its own private onsen for guests. It is pretty basic but comfortable.

Fantastic advice! Lucky I haven’t booked any accommodation as of yet. In saying that, can you guys recommend where to stay in Tokyo? Nothing rich, money is not my forte haha!

Will definitely look at The High Mont Hotel in Hakuba! Off the top of your head, do remember how much accommodation cost there? Someone else recommended staying at the Hakuba Snowdrift Lodge, has anyone stayed there before?

Mizu Kuma - 24 June 2015 03:37 PM

Just be aware that a lot of things shut in Tokyo during that period, and transport might be an issue?????

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

Thanks for the heads up. Planning on experiencing the shinkansen (bullet train) to get to Hakuba. Actually really excited to go on it!

Franchise - 24 June 2015 03:57 PM
Mizu Kuma - 24 June 2015 03:37 PM

Just be aware that a lot of things shut in Tokyo during that period, and transport might be an issue?????

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

Thanks for the heads up. Planning on experiencing the shinkansen (bullet train) to get to Hakuba. Actually really excited to go on it!

Best way to do it!!!!!

Franchise - 24 June 2015 03:55 PM
ozgirl - 24 June 2015 02:32 PM

Hukuba isn’t known for its nightlife.

Before you even mentioned that I was going to say stay in Tokyo for those first few days.

Also note - my friends just did NYE this past year and it was virtually a non event (and they have previously spent it in Niseko)

Basically you just go to Hachiko Square in Shibuya.

But this also gives you more time for the snow to fall - Christmas is touch and go for snow anywhere in the North Hem. Its the million dollar question of snow loves wanting to travel at Christmas/NY…

So delay arriving for a couple of days enjoy Tokyo over the Holiday season - also note Chinese New Year is their New Year, not our calendar one.

Myself and Jeremy have both stayed at The High Mont Hotel, It has its own private onsen for guests. It is pretty basic but comfortable.

Fantastic advice! Lucky I haven’t booked any accommodation as of yet. In saying that, can you guys recommend where to stay in Tokyo? Nothing rich, money is not my forte haha!

Will definitely look at The High Mont Hotel in Hakuba! Off the top of your head, do remember how much accommodation cost there? Someone else recommended staying at the Hakuba Snowdrift Lodge, has anyone stayed there before?

I am actually looking at Air BnB in Tokyo.

Where in tokyo is a whole other conversation!

I can’t remember how much it was but we also had a group discount. The easiest way is to email them directly http://www.highmount.com/english-highmount/e-homepage1.htm

Can’t thank you guys enough for all the information! Much appreciated! Will look into it ozgirl

Like oz is doin, for a good price I reckon Airbnb would be the go!!!!!

I’d stay in Shinjuku, somewhere close to the Train Station so you can get around the city without drama!!!!! You can use the Yamanote Line to loop the city and see most major attractions in a couple days stay!!!!! Plus from Shinjuku, simply catch the Marounouchi Line to take you to Tokyo Station that will see you on a Shinkansen to Nagano!!!!! Again, a very easy transit!!!!!

West of Shinjuku Station is quieter than East side!!!!! All depends on what you want!!!!!

ozgirl - 23 June 2015 08:32 PM

We have locked in our destinations.

Flying o/n Friday 19th Feb, Saturday morning cacthing the train to Myoko and staying there until the following Staurday.

We then fly from a local airport up to Sapporo where we stay in Niseko til the friday.

Then the weekend in Tokyo before flying home on the O/n flight on Sunday and then stright to work Monday morning!

re location Hukuba can be a great location for a couple. It does not have the nightlife of Niseko though.

And if you don’t ride at Happo One then you are looking at a bus ride to other resort (ie Cortina, which eveyone loves!)

Niseko has a bit more nightlife and action and nicer restaurants (IMO) You can avoid the bogan aspect that people complain about,

If i wasn’t staying with a friend I was def considering Niseko Leaf Hotel, and i have also stayed at the Hilton and would go back there.

I have also stayed at HT apartments (and I know a few other Boardworldians have as well including Mizu) and recomend them also. These options are on the pricer side and you can def find much more of a bargain.

I have been to both location and can give you recs for either.

Let me know what you decide! And we might see you there!

Thanks for the heads up smile and the information. Also thanks to Mizu-san smile

Mizu Kuma - 24 June 2015 04:37 PM

I’d stay in Shinjuku, somewhere close to the Train Station so you can get around the city without drama!!!!! You can use the Yamanote Line to loop the city and see most major attractions in a couple days stay!!!!! Plus from Shinjuku, simply catch the Marounouchi Line to take you to Tokyo Station that will see you on a Shinkansen to Nagano!!!!! Again, a very easy transit!!!!!

West of Shinjuku Station is quieter than East side!!!!! All depends on what you want!!!!!

Legend. Cheers! I’ve just had a look at their websites and what an interesting way of doing accommodation! Is it safe? smile

Mizu Kuma - 24 June 2015 04:37 PM

Legend. Cheers! I’ve just had a look at their websites and what an interesting way of doing accommodation! Is it safe? smile

Like everything there is always risks but read the reviews and find something nice. It’s probably a lot cheaper and better than a hotel.

My brother and his fiancee have a place in Jindabyne that they book through AirBNB and they say they’ve gotten tons of bookings for the season.

Ive booked my flight back.

Arrive 4th Feb, depart 16th Feb.

I will be staying with a mate who lives in Nagano.
Driving up to Shuginohara for ten days.

I brought my mate a Hovercraft last year so cant wait to take that for a run in some deep pow!

TJswish - 24 June 2015 06:26 PM

Like everything there is always risks but read the reviews and find something nice. It’s probably a lot cheaper and better than a hotel.

My brother and his fiancee have a place in Jindabyne that they book through AirBNB and they say they’ve gotten tons of bookings for the season.

Yep this -

We stayed in a place in Tahoe in Jan that was good.

My mum is helping TJ’s brother run his place and she is very jealous of all the booking they already have for the season. It is on my list to set them up on AirBnb as well (they have a holiday flat in Jindy)

They great thing about a lot of the tokyo Airbnb places is that they give you pocket wifi to carry around (out of the flat!) while you stay - how awesome is that!

ozgirl - 12 March 2015 10:53 AM

Doing a Mizu and getting in early with making this thread.

I just booked our flights to Japan for this time next year (booked Premium Econ using Frequent Flyer points so had to get in as soon as the flights were released!)

Plan is fly to Tokyo (new Haneda flight woo hoo) on Friday 19th Feb

Land in Tokyo Saturday morning and jump on the train to Myoko. Should be there by 9am.

Will stay there until Saturday 27th Feb and then fly up to Sapporo and hit up Niseko.

Come back to Tokyo on Friday 4th March and spending the weekend in Tokyo. Before flying home on the overnight flight on the Sunday.

Anyone is welcome to join us!

hi oz, whats the go with myoko? we are looking at staying at hakuba, but the lodge we
are looking at have one in myoko, and it looks really good. whats the mountains/terrain
like? less crowds id imagine? the guy that sent the email reckons it gets the largest
snowfall in japan, which was surprising. heeeeeelllp!!!!

brenno - 02 July 2015 08:51 AM
ozgirl - 12 March 2015 10:53 AM

Doing a Mizu and getting in early with making this thread.

I just booked our flights to Japan for this time next year (booked Premium Econ using Frequent Flyer points so had to get in as soon as the flights were released!)

Plan is fly to Tokyo (new Haneda flight woo hoo) on Friday 19th Feb

Land in Tokyo Saturday morning and jump on the train to Myoko. Should be there by 9am.

Will stay there until Saturday 27th Feb and then fly up to Sapporo and hit up Niseko.

Come back to Tokyo on Friday 4th March and spending the weekend in Tokyo. Before flying home on the overnight flight on the Sunday.

Anyone is welcome to join us!

hi oz, whats the go with myoko? we are looking at staying at hakuba, but the lodge we
are looking at have one in myoko, and it looks really good. whats the mountains/terrain
like? less crowds id imagine? the guy that sent the email reckons it gets the largest
snowfall in japan, which was surprising. heeeeeelllp!!!!

I’m one of those going to Myoko with Oz, but we are all Myoko Virgins.
I suppose we will see come Feb!
dance