The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Japan 2015/16

Doing a Mizu and getting in early with making this thread.

I just booked our flights to Japan for this time next year (booked Premium Econ using Frequent Flyer points so had to get in as soon as the flights were released!)

Plan is fly to Tokyo (new Haneda flight woo hoo) on Friday 19th Feb

Land in Tokyo Saturday morning and jump on the train to Myoko. Should be there by 9am.

Will stay there until Saturday 27th Feb and then fly up to Sapporo and hit up Niseko.

Come back to Tokyo on Friday 4th March and spending the weekend in Tokyo. Before flying home on the overnight flight on the Sunday.

Anyone is welcome to join us!

Keen but will wait until October / November to look at booking lol smile

haha

Noted and fully appreciate we are being keen beans!

I have just booked my flights for Japan. 27/12 - 16/1 but will be in Hakuba for most of it! Super excited!

*sob*

Oogie will be there without me next year!

edit: forget it, I misread travel periods.

Looks like some deals going with Jetstar

Billy - 02 May 2015 07:00 PM

*sob*

Oogie will be there without me next year!

You’re a good woman!

(although you could go too!)

Thinking of Japan for February 2016. Think i’ll head to Hakuba just because it’s nice and close and looks like some good zones, but I am up for Niseko. What area do you like? This is my first time to Japan so really not sure which would be the best for me.

I’m not going to ride park there, I just want want snow smashing over my head and slashing.

The trip will just be me and the girl so need some nice accommodation and it will be a holiday so it will be comfort trip.

We have locked in our destinations.

Flying o/n Friday 19th Feb, Saturday morning cacthing the train to Myoko and staying there until the following Staurday.

We then fly from a local airport up to Sapporo where we stay in Niseko til the friday.

Then the weekend in Tokyo before flying home on the O/n flight on Sunday and then stright to work Monday morning!

re location Hukuba can be a great location for a couple. It does not have the nightlife of Niseko though.

And if you don’t ride at Happo One then you are looking at a bus ride to other resort (ie Cortina, which eveyone loves!)

Niseko has a bit more nightlife and action and nicer restaurants (IMO) You can avoid the bogan aspect that people complain about,

If i wasn’t staying with a friend I was def considering Niseko Leaf Hotel, and i have also stayed at the Hilton and would go back there.

I have also stayed at HT apartments (and I know a few other Boardworldians have as well including Mizu) and recomend them also. These options are on the pricer side and you can def find much more of a bargain.

I have been to both location and can give you recs for either.

Let me know what you decide! And we might see you there!

In relation to travel times, Hakuba isn’t really that much quicker to get to than Niseko, if that’s a concern!!!!!

Ridin a Shinkansen is pretty cool though!!!!!

If you’re thinking about Niseko, give Deep Powder Tours a call!!!!!

They’ve still got 15% Earlybird off HT Properties until the end of the month, and they’re a wholesaler for Quantas & JAL!!!!!

There’s also Ski Japan, and Niseko Properties that are worth a look at!!!!! Although Niseko Properties don’t organise flights!!!!!

You might have trouble finding somethin in feb now especially in the Chinese New Year if lookin at Niseko!!!!!

Deep Powder had a deal for Tomamu for $750 7 Nights, 6 Day Lifts, Transfers, in Peak, so maybe you could add that on as a first/second week to another Hokkaido Resort?????

If you’re after Western Style Luxury then Niseko is the place!!!!! More Traditional, maybe look at a Ryokan in Nozawa in the Nagano region on Honshu or similar!!!!!

If Niseko is you choice, and you want to eat out, stroll around at night, have a couple drinks here and there, look for accommodation in Hirafu or Izumikio 1!!!!!

Best to choose ya spot first, then get some more info off the crew here!!!!!

Hey guys, I have recently booked a trip to Japan with the gf and best mate from 27/12 - 15/1. We plan to spend 2 weeks in Hakuba boarding and the rest in Tokyo for all the tourist stuff!

We have never been to Japan before so I’m wondering if 2 weeks in Hakuba is enough or is too much? Do you guys have recommendation on where to stay in Hakuba? We are looking for somewhere with good night life as we will be there for new years period.

Hukuba isn’t known for its nightlife.

Before you even mentioned that I was going to say stay in Tokyo for those first few days.

Also note - my friends just did NYE this past year and it was virtually a non event (and they have previously spent it in Niseko)

Basically you just go to Hachiko Square in Shibuya.

But this also gives you more time for the snow to fall - Christmas is touch and go for snow anywhere in the North Hem. Its the million dollar question of snow loves wanting to travel at Christmas/NY…

So delay arriving for a couple of days enjoy Tokyo over the Holiday season - also note Chinese New Year is their New Year, not our calendar one.

Myself and Jeremy have both stayed at The High Mont Hotel, It has its own private onsen for guests. It is pretty basic but comfortable.

2 Weeks is perfect!!!!!

If anythin, I reckon 2 weeks in the one area is minimum!!!!!

Just like over here, Japan can also experience a warm patch or two, along with crazy wind hold days as well, so with14 Days in the one spot you’ll pretty much guarantee some good days!!!!!

ozgirl - 24 June 2015 02:32 PM

Hukuba isn’t known for its nightlife.

Before you even mentioned that I was going to say stay in Tokyo for those first few days.

Also note - my friends just did NYE this past year and it was virtually a non event (and they have previously spent it in Niseko)

Basically you just go to Hachiko Square in Shibuya.

But this also gives you more time for the snow to fall - Christmas is touch and go for snow anywhere in the North Hem. Its the million dollar question of snow loves wanting to travel at Christmas/NY…

So delay arriving for a couple of days enjoy Tokyo over the Holiday season - also note Chinese New Year is their New Year, not our calendar one.

Myself and Jeremy have both stayed at The High Mont Hotel, It has its own private onsen for guests. It is pretty basic but comfortable.

I can only image NYE in Shibuya!!!!!

That place is crazy on a normal weekday!!!!!

Yeah, Chinese New Year starts on the 8th Feb this time round!!!!!

I’ll be in Niseko then!!!!! Locked it in a couple months ago in order to get a half decent price on accomo!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 24 June 2015 02:40 PM

I can only image NYE in Shibuya!!!!!

That place is crazy on a normal weekday!!!!!

Yep - apparently the group got separated (maybe 6 of them) and there was a few tears!

Everything was closed - which was weird.

Franchise - please don’t think i am trying to put you off!

I think it would be awesome to experience NY in Japan where the culture is totally different to western experiences.

And i still think you should delay the snowboarding part. And that NY in Hukuba will be even more of a Non event!!!

Just be aware that a lot of things shut in Tokyo during that period, and transport might be an issue?????

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html