The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Socks ??

Guys i just got new boots (ski boots)
whats the best socks to wear ??? thin or thick ?
any other info or advice ?

For ski boots I wear thinner socks. Since ski boots fit so tight you don’t want a sock getting bunched up inside the boot. I wear socks made from merino wool as well for those cold days. The good ones I think are called smart wool.

Before I can help you I need to ask a very important question….

WHY ARE YOU SKIING????

Seriously though, the best ski specific socks you can get are the X-socks. They have three different models but can be quite expensive, $60 or there abouts for the top model. They have specific left and right socks to be anatomically correct.

Best advice though G-Red… get on a snowboard you goose!

X-socks are great….and expensive! But they are contructed in a way to actually work well with most ski boots. Padding in the calfs, thin material around most of the foot and some extra material on the base (depending on model). Very comfortable if you get the right pair.

Another suggestion is Eurosocks. Some of the best thin socks on the market. No seams and strong thin material really minimizes any bunching or pressure points.

G-Red - 29 June 2009 11:08 PM

... BOARDworld.com.au   no socks work well with ski boots cus ski boots/skiiing in general is bunk. delete it if you want, ive said my piece. and ill say it agian.

G-Red - 29 June 2009 11:08 PM

... BOARDworld.com.au   no socks work well with ski boots cus ski boots/skiiing in general is bunk. delete it if you want, ive said my piece. and ill say it again

just dont wear the same socks you wear to school / work. they are not meant for snowboarding.
thick vs thin? I think most of this is preference.
I had a couple of ski socks and they were padded along the shin, not bad, but much more ski focused design.
snowboard socks increase comfort so much, but not all are made a like.
Burton makes great socks.
I’ve had grenade and foursquare but only one pair of each, but I thought they were horrible. too thin, really and just got shaped weird after a couple washings.

Wigwam and eurosock are 2 more generic names that I’ve found withstand many washings and still hold up.
http://www.wigwam.com/Products/CategoryLanding.aspx?CategoryId=F
http://www.eurosock.com/ESNA_products/Euros/Ski/ski.htm

I am sure that your local board shop would have a quality sock brand or two that you could buy… funny thing is that good socks can cost $20 or more… well that’s US cost, I dont know if that would be any more or less for you.
I think quality socks can be kind of expensive, but they are worth it.
buy a pair or two each year, and then you’ll have plenty.

Try Icebreaker Ski socks - they rule!  Made of Merino wool (but not itchy), they keep my toes warm & aren’t too thick either

Who is this shredlife?
Shredlife you think you can come onto the G-Reds thread? You think you can walk down Know You Role Boulevard? Well G-Red says you should know your role and shut your mouth! Let me tell you something you overgrown 500 pound bag of Monkey Crap, G-Red says that he is 3 seconds and I mean 3 seconds away from laying the Smackdown on your candy ass!

G-Red - 30 June 2009 05:09 AM

Who is this shredlife?
Shredlife you think you can come onto the G-Reds thread? You think you can walk down Know You Role Boulevard? Well G-Red says you should know your role and shut your mouth! Let me tell you something you overgrown 500 pound bag of Monkey Crap, G-Red says that he is 3 seconds and I mean 3 seconds away from laying the Smackdown on your candy ass!

sounds like skier talk to me! wink

G-Red - 30 June 2009 05:09 AM

Who is this shredlife?

I hate to tell you G-Red, but…

The Rock is a snowboarder.

Shut up Dave

Dave99 - 30 June 2009 02:47 PM

Shut up Dave

Dave, Just incase you hadent noticed… we’ve been fired. (no longer on the member list)

snowslider - 30 June 2009 03:35 PM
Dave99 - 30 June 2009 02:47 PM

Shut up Dave

Dave, Just incase you hadent noticed… we’ve been fired. (no longer on the member list)

but all I said was “Shut up Dave”...

We know exactly why that has happened and you will both be back on the member list tomorrow. Anyone listed as an Industry Member or Moderator has temporarily been removed (also explains why spaz wasn’t on there previously - Industry Member).