The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

chipped my new board!! - how to fix??

Hi all

On my first day riding my new board I got a nasty chip. Probably happened on the chair lift but not really sure…

A small section of the top layer of the board (roughly 2cm by 4mm) on the edge where the tail starts to rise up chipped off so now the wood core is exposed. A tech guy at the resort said that if its untreated water will seep into the wood and slowly spread under the top layer and severely weaken the board. Worst case scenario, after awhile the tail will snap. He mentioned filling it with P-tex or even simply using super glue to seal it. Has anyone had experience with this sort of problem? What methods have worked? Would super glue be sufficient? Or would it be better to take it to a shop for repairs? Would they usually charge reasonably for these types of repairs?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hey Dan, if you can please post a photo of the damage so we can give you accurate advice.

How do I post photos Jez?
Cheers

Woah dude, that really sucks. Post a photo and we can help. If I were you I would take it to a shop to fix.

You can upload the photo to something like ImageShack (http://imageshack.us/) and post the link. Because Im not sure if the [img] tags work here.

Good luck with the fix.

EDIT: The image tags do work, upload the picture to that website and then post the link of that photo in the img tags e.g. replace the * with the link

Ok cheers antt. I might have done it a different way but hopefully it works…...

Ok, um it actually doesn’t look tooo bad. If you take it into a shop, they could probably fix it.

Thats my opinion, I’d rather have it done by someone who knows what hes doing than try and glue it myself or something.

Good luck with everything.

from those pics that damage looks like something to forget about…but take it to a board shop tech and have them look at it…your only going to get more of that!

I would have to agree. Top sheet chips are usually just cosmetic. If you are worried you can seal it up with epoxy. From those photos it’s hard to tell if there is any delamination. If there is you should get that repaired. Honestly the best thing to do is take it to your local snowboard store and get them to have a look at it.

yeah as the administrator said it is usually just cosmetic if it is top layer but you say you can see the wood so i assume it is worse then just top layer i can’t tell for sure cause they aren’t the clearest photo’s but yeah if you want to fix it quickly and as cheaply as possible use some epoxy or super glue but i suggest if you use super glue do it before you hit the slopes every time or at least check it but yeah taking it to a board store and having it looked at is probs the best choice smile
well i hope you get it fixed and everything is all good mate

Its worth having it fixed just to be on the safe side. Your board cost alot of money so a small investment of say $20-$40 to have it repaired is not a huge sacrifice. Have your local shop do it as they have probably repaired chips like this before. i would use an epoxy resin to repair over super glue. Epoxy resin is flexible and strong and will flex with your boards natural flex. If it has delaminated and there is seperation from the edge then it will definetly have to be glued and clamped.

It appears to not be down to the wood.
What the tech guy at the resort told you about water getting into the wood etc, is true, but if the wood is not visible, this shouldnt be a problem, and it is only cosmetic. I know it hurts to have a huge blemish on your new ride. Lift lines are the problem areas… well, lift lines and storage / transport (when you’re not even riding!)

You could try to color the white area to match your top sheet.
You could apply some epoxy to seal it up if that would make you feel better about the longevity of the board’s integrity.

yeah, while scratching your new deck may seem like a big thing…by the time the seasons over you can look back on those marks and remember what you did to get those marks on there in the first place. lift lines, binding buckles, ski racks, rocks, trees, rails/boxes, ski boots…there is a multitude of things that will mark a board….the majority of which will be purely cosmetic. but it always pays to find out whats cosmetic and what might actually do damage if left un-repaired.

i can remember being precious about my boards..still am until the first day riding them and they end up exactly like yours. you gradually learn how to avoid a lot of damage in the lift line, which is probably the main offender! a lot of agro can go down with the clashes of gear in lines..and i dont mean outerwear!

Thanks for the advice guys - I will probably just take it to the nearest shop to have it repaired.

The photos are not the greatest and I am far from an expert but it does look like it is wood that is exposed. I cant imagine what else it would be? The chip removed all the top sheet part (fibreglass, plastic, whatever its made out of).

Question, is ‘Epoxy resin’ the same as P-tex?

No p-tex is used to repair the base of the snowboard. It is used to fill in dings, scratches, holes etc on the base. It will not work on repairing your topsheet. Epoxy resin is a flexible resin that is hard wearing, waterproof and is a very good adhesive. It can also be dyed to a colour to match your topsheet. Hope this helps.

Yeah, helps a lot. Thanks Daz and all others for your advice

Im not trying to bag skiiers, but why do 90% of chips/scratches seem to come from them.
First weekend i had my new board a kid behind me in the lift line (not a child, he would have been 12 or 13) just started stomping his stock into the back of my board.
I turned around and grabbed his arm then he just looked at me confused, like he didnt realise he was doing anything wrong.
Then last weekend i has some prissy apre-ski mum decide she didnt want to go up the lift anymore and tried to make her way back through the lift line, WITH HER SKIIS ON, and managed to put a big scratch across the back of my board.
Then you get the ones who slide forward in the lift line when its on a bit of a slope and right over your board. Come on, you have poles, USE THEM!!
You pay a lot for good gear and idiots scratch and dent it up. I know accidents hapen, but stupidity is stupidity.