The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Life & Times Of A Lady Shredder In Whistler - The Blog!

Sorry to hear about your injury, Lu.  hmmm

must have been her blogging arm….. ZING! 

I keed, I keed cheese

So where’s the gory details?

Chapter 10 - Two Months Into The Season…Let’s Recap!

Ok, ok. It’s been a while…too long I know. I was kinda hoping I’d have another shreddit ready to go, but alas - Dan has been busy with his own shredding! Nonetheless, it’s been a great couple of weeks and not so great couple of weeks. I’m sure my previous photo probably gave that away red face

So, I’ve been stoked to have the opportunity to ride lots of different boards, gear and with tonnes of rad people, too! I think now, I’m up to day 36 or so on my pass…don’t quote me on that one. But, some reflection is good. I suppose that, leading up to this season (being my first whole ‘season’ I could ride, and not being a “weekend warrior”), I had high hopes of something cool or interesting to talk about each day/time I went for a shred. Turns out, that in itself has been a learning curve for me, and I’m not ashamed to say it. Don’t get me wrong - I’m always super stoked to be on the hill, but I’ve learned that everyday isn’t epic or noteworthy. And you know what? That’s ok by me…maybe not so much for those keen to hear my random musings.

Regardless! I’m still here, still meeting new people and still making the most outta life.

Speaking of which - I want to shout out to a couple more special peeps I’ve had the opportunity to ride with over the last few weeks. Before Christmas, a girl in town put together a women’s group on Facebook, to encourage the ladies to get together and get their freestyle on. I decided to go on the first group gathering, and Zoë, Ashley and I were able to meet Courtney & Eman. What makes me stoked is that these gals are also here for longer than just the season. So, happy days!

We’re all pretty much at the same level, but each has a standout strength - Zoë with her style, finesse and solid carve and skillz; Eman just consistently stomping the boxes & rails; Courtney with her smooth butters, presses and ability to learn quickly; and me…well I’m not sure where I fit in - maybe spins? But it was a rad day, meeting awesome folks and just having that no pressure, progression kinda vibe going round!

Photo credit: Zoë

A couple of days later, we were blessed with a pow day! Luckily for me, I work somewhere where we have the 20cm rule! So, I got to put the ‘Closed For Pow’ sign up on the door and shred! Dan and I arranged to meet Ashley and Courtney in the village and we headed up for some runs. I was super stoked to get on the Malolo for the first time of the season and I’m glad I did! The snow was somewhat deep, but also classic of Whistler - super heavy. The ‘Lolo’ (or as I’ve been told to name it - the “Lulu”) did not skip a damn beat. I totally loved the stiffness, the set back and the shape. I liked the shape.

A couple of seasons ago, I would have baulked at the idea of riding such a different board. I probably would have gotten on it and bashed it straight away - as opposed to acknowledging the benefits of the board, in the right conditions. But now - I was able to confidently assess the board and adapt my riding to the board. I am now riding different boards, rather than them riding me. In any case, the ‘Lulu’ got 10/10 from me. Cut like a knife through butter even in the choppiest crap, it was small enough to be easily maneuverable through the few ‘tree’ runs we did, and I even got to ride it switch (thanks Jez, for challenging me!). I would recommend this board to anyone.

Photo credit: Dan

A few days later, I met up with Zoë, Dan, Dean and Rob during my break from work. We were just playing around Emerald, whilst Rob was getting back on a board this season. I was having a blast and loved watching Zoë rip around - of particular mention was her FAST toe side carve, backside 180 across the hill. I almost whooped like a crazy lady (OK, I might have actually whooped like a crazy lady)!! I soon had to head back to the village to head to work, so we rode down to the bottom of Red Chair, where we caught up with none other than Jeremy, Rhys (both hungover from Alysha’s birthday shenanigans the day prior), Andy, Dylan and Dave. They all decided to rip down to the village with me!

Photo credit: random guy with Jez’s phone
I’ve never ridden with such a big crew. But it was AMAZING!! SO. MUCH. DAMNED. FUN!!! Everyone was carving, switching it up, buttering, hitting side features…I can’t remember feeling that happy in forever! I also loved at the end, Jez set me up with some A++ pointers on starting with cab3 spins on the ground. I’ll continue working on that for the season.
But thanks to all you rad peeps for that day and that one run!

Chapter 10 - Two Months Into The Season…Let’s Recap! - Part Deux

Since then, I’ve caught up again with my lady shred buds - spent some time doing some anxious and shady park laps…lesson learned: if you’re not feeling it, either sack up and move on, or get the hell out! Also, got some great pow laps in on Peak Chair and down in the 7th glades with Eman. First tree runs of the season were rusty, but sooooooo damned GOOD!! Drool-worthy, for sure!

Sadly, my last day out has put a stop t my reading for a few weeks. I headed up with Dan, who was trying out some Snowboard Addiction boards, with Nev, the owner. They were keen for some laps through the intermediate park on Whis, so I followed them through. I was feeling solid - hitting some bigger features that I hadn’t yet this season. A number of ollie up features, including an up box (I’m not sure if that is what it’s called - you have to ollie onto it and then its a drop off landing at the end), side entry down pipe rail and just generally, feeling the good vibes. We got to the top and met up with John, who is still learning. We decided to take a mellow lap down to Emerald with him and help him with some tips. As we were travellling a little slower, I was working on my spins, ollies, switch and just hitting every natural feature I could get my board to.

There is this one little side hit about 2/3 down Emerald chair…it just puts you into a perfect frontside spin. I don’t know how many times I’ve popped and spun off it…countless. In any case, I came cruising up after Dan and was aiming for a frontside 180. Coming off the ‘lip’, I was carrying good speed and airtime and decided I’d go for the full 3. I was changing the plan, being greedy and not committing, all in 1 split second. This resulted in me falling like an idiot and not following my cardinal rule: DON’T PUT YOUR WRISTS OUT WHEN YOU FALL!

You can see where this is headed.

I have fractured my left radius will be in a cast for another 5 weeks.

But - don’t worry. I’ll be back and with a vengeance.

On another note - has anyone here done any week (or longer) development camps? I’m considering a summer one this year…

lulu_in_canada - 01 February 2015 06:37 PM

A few days later, I met up with Zoë, Dan, Dean and Rob during my break from work. We were just playing around Emerald, whilst Rob was getting back on a board this season. I was having a blast and loved watching Zoë rip around - of particular mention was her FAST toe side carve, backside 180 across the hill. I almost whooped like a crazy lady (OK, I might have actually whooped like a crazy lady)!! I soon had to head back to the village to head to work, so we rode down to the bottom of Red Chair, where we caught up with none other than Jeremy, Rhys (both hungover from Alysha’s birthday shenanigans the day prior), Andy, Dylan and Dave. They all decided to rip down to the village with me!

Photo credit: random guy with Jez’s phone
I’ve never ridden with such a big crew. But it was AMAZING!! SO. MUCH. DAMNED. FUN!!! Everyone was carving, switching it up, buttering, hitting side features…I can’t remember feeling that happy in forever! I also loved at the end, Jez set me up with some A++ pointers on starting with cab3 spins on the ground. I’ll continue working on that for the season.
But thanks to all you rad peeps for that day and that one run!

I’m a little late but I have to say a big +1 to this, such an amazing day on the snow with an awesome crew!