The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

AST 1 (Avalanche Skills Training) — Whistler — December 13 & 14

AST 1 — WHISTLER — DECEMBER 13 & 14

Hey guys,

I completed the AST 1 (or equivalent) several years ago. I now want to further my knowledge and experience, but to be honest, I need a refresher course, so I am going back to the beginning to start fresh. Trust me, this course is one of the best things you can do if you’re living in Whistler and/or have a desire to explore the mountain and the backcountry. Not only is it super fun and interesting, it could potentially save your life or someone else’s.

I have booked myself into the AST 1 with Whistler Alpine Guides for December 13 and 14.

If you would like to join me, please go here and select December 13th and 14th as the dates. The course costs $225, but this is some of the best money you will ever spend on your snowboarding journey.

Worth noting: many employers in Whistler will give you time off to do this training, as it serves in everyone’s best interest. In some jobs, i.e, ski/snowboard instructing, you will get an hourly pay rise with the certification, and it pays itself off by the end of the season. Work again next year, and you’re now making money. Speak to your employer, tell them why this is important to you, and request the two days off.

Any questions, hit me up.

Our two day industry-leading AST 1 course is an introduction to avalanche rescue skills and the principles of safe travel in the backcountry. After a day of class and a day in the field you will learn what gear you need and how to use it, how to read the terrain and conditions, and how to rescue a buried companion.

This course is tailored exclusively for skiers and snowboarders who want to safely venture outside of the ski-area boundary or who are interested in heading into the backcountry.

We will go further into more challenging terrain than in the general course, and learn ski and board specific skills.

Designed by IFMGA/ACMG certified Mountain Guides/CAA Level II Professionals, our Avalanche Training is well regarded as the industry’s premier AST 1 course.

We are the inventors of the AST 1 for Skiers and Riders course, using the latest technology avalanche equipment and ski and split-boarding equipment.

Yeh I’m down

rider26 - 28 November 2014 02:19 PM

Worth noting: many employers in Whistler will give you time off to do this training, as it serves in everyone’s best interest. In some jobs, i.e, ski/snowboard instructing, you will get an hourly pay rise with the certification, and it pays itself off by the end of the season. Work again next year, and you’re now making money. Speak to your employer, tell them why this is important to you, and request the two days off.

This is awesome! Well done Whistler punch

Did it last season. I can highly recommend it. Definitely worth doing!

I thought I was safe without the knowledge and equipment as long as I stayed inside the resort. My thought was I would do the avi course and get all the gear when I start going to real back country spots. Turns out this was a bad plan lol.
The amount of in bounds avalanches at Whistler they will show you, will scare the pants off you.
But it’s also a really fun course to do. Rent yourself a split board and go BC with guides you can trust, learn the basics and shred some pow!

I’m in, booked and paid thumbsup

Alysha and I are keen too, probably could have got a group booking discount or something?
anyone else keen to lock this in?

Jez, maybe if you have a good connection with these guys you could ask them for a board world members discount?!  cheese

Aw crap aw crap aw crap I wanna do this I didn’t get a chance to do it last time but I gotta check my schedule…

What EQ’s required folks?

If by EQ, you mean equipment, I can answer that!

So, this course is designed for skiers and snowboarders who want to backcountry tour, so we have developed it for those on touring skis, or splitboards. We have a fleet of splitboards in store for hire, if needed.

In addition, you will need a beacon, probe & shovel. Again, these can be hired from us for the course if need be.

Feel free to call into Whistler Alpine Guides office on 604 938 9242. I’ll be in over the weekend!

That said, there is a potential that we can get a group discount for you guys, but in multiples of 8 (as, it is an 8:1 participant to instructor ratio). There are a few interested already, but see how we go!

Cheers

^ Lulu you’re the best!!!!!! =)

Gotta check if my mrs has anything planned and I defo wanna do it. I won’t arrive until the 10th, will this create a problem?

I can find out asap and book in via cc if need be. I’ll also need all the extra EQ’s I’ve only got regular snerberds. =P

grunge - 29 November 2014 12:17 PM

^ Lulu you’re the best!!!!!! =)

Gotta check if my mrs has anything planned and I defo wanna do it. I won’t arrive until the 10th, will this create a problem?

I can find out asap and book in via cc if need be. I’ll also need all the extra EQ’s I’ve only got regular snerberds. =P

Date-wise, you’re fine. I’d suggest trying to get a few runs in beforehand, to get your snow legs back. But, the course is 13th/14th, so no worries there.

Gear won’t be an issue, so yeah, if we can get the numbers together, I’ll be able to get a discount organised. So far, I’m counting 5 people…
:-D

If we pay now and we end up getting a discount can we get $$$ back?

sweeeet.

so we’ve got Jeremy, Dylan, Alysha, Rhys, possibly Grunge and Deano, only two more folks - Step right up!

shaka

I would be interested, will just need to run it by work to switch out my weekend days.
What would be the cost to rent all the gear for the weekend?

Henry just text me as well and said he’s in! i think we have 8 thumbsup

Dylan has booked the course as well.