The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Photographers and Videographers

Just a question for those who might have a little more experience.
I picked up a polarising filter as im heading down the snow this weekend.
I have a 450D with the twin lens kit. I believe that on some of the higher end lenses the focus ring doesnt rotate during focusing externally. Its done internally.
So if you put a polarsing filter on your lens and rotate it to how you desire, it wont rotate as you focus and will stay in your desired position.

I however have the kit lens which is obviously cheaper and the focus ring rotates on this externally.
Thus if your taking an action shot and try to focus quickly the polarising lens will rotate also away from how you positioned it.
What i want to know is, i was just playing around at home and i can manage to hold the ring of the polaising lens while i focus, thus keeping the desired angle of the polarising lens.
Does anyone know if doing this is bad practice? Like will i risk burning out the focusing motor, or is this something common that people do?

i dont know what i am i take photos and have never been paid for it
i have been published in tracksmag and in monster children before
i take photos of skate surf snow anything that looks nice i guess

check out my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelsonhogg/

Nelson, thanks for sharing, you truly have a great skill developing - continue to nurture it.

I have 2 favorites of yours from your flicker site.

and

I have a Canon EOS 400D DSLR and absolutely love it. I bought it while doing photography for the ACT Gridiron comp. All my photos are located here http://www.flickr.com/photos/actgridiron/collections/72157621425479302/

Would love to take photos at the snow, but love being on my board too much!

Hey guys. Been a professional photographer for 8 years now and on my 5th season as a photographer at Falls Creek. Currently using Nikon D2x should have a D3 soon, was waiting for the D3x but just too expensive. Any questions hit me up.

Nudge.

EvanL - 09 July 2009 10:41 AM

Just a question for those who might have a little more experience.
I picked up a polarising filter as im heading down the snow this weekend.
I have a 450D with the twin lens kit. I believe that on some of the higher end lenses the focus ring doesnt rotate during focusing externally. Its done internally.
So if you put a polarsing filter on your lens and rotate it to how you desire, it wont rotate as you focus and will stay in your desired position.

I however have the kit lens which is obviously cheaper and the focus ring rotates on this externally.
Thus if your taking an action shot and try to focus quickly the polarising lens will rotate also away from how you positioned it.
What i want to know is, i was just playing around at home and i can manage to hold the ring of the polaising lens while i focus, thus keeping the desired angle of the polarising lens.
Does anyone know if doing this is bad practice? Like will i risk burning out the focusing motor, or is this something common that people do?

as long as the motor does not sound like it is being stressed a good way to hear what that sounds like is put the lense into something soft like a jumper or something and try focus the lense motor will sound stressed thats bad as long as its not doing that you are fine.

that reminds me i should get my 300mm sent over from back home with the filter thanks a bunch for the reminder haha

peace

EvanL - 09 July 2009 10:41 AM

Alternatively you could pre-focus (either manually or by using something at a similar distance) make sure the polarising lens is correct then take your photos. However I assume by “action shot” you mean they’ll be moving in some unpredictable manner. So perhaps it won’t be so easy to predict their distance.

Nelson - I hadent thought about this, but I hope you dont mind me posting your pics into this topic. I probably should have asked.
They are beautiful pictures.

snowslider - 18 July 2009 03:19 PM

Nelson - I hadent thought about this, but I hope you dont mind me posting your pics into this topic. I probably should have asked.

nah thats fine haha unless your selling them to the tourism board of yallingup haha

nelsonjameshogg - 19 July 2009 12:06 AM
snowslider - 18 July 2009 03:19 PM

nah thats fine haha unless your selling them to the tourism board of yallingup haha

Definitely not.
Keep sharing your pics, I really like them.

going up to falls on sunday so amped i went and brought a jacket pants and boots now all i need is a lift pass and a board
cant wait to get some photos and to roll around in some snow
and i will throw some of my best ones up here

Well I made a hard decision…  The last couple days I have been trying to decide, do I hit the snow, Do I buy a lens or do I get a flash.  Such a hard question.  I opted to try and further my career then to go off and play in the snow.  I just picked up a new Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash.  I already have two lens so I opted for the flash.  I am really pumped to get out and see how it works with the action shots.  Anyone doing alot of flash photos?  I am still looking to get out and take shots of skaters and other adrenaline junkies here in syd so pm and let me know what area and when your out and who knows I might just stop in and flash ya!

hey crew going up to falls tomorow morning and realised im really unorganised i have no camera case

so i stole one of dads drill cases and cut out all the inserts and padded it up with some foam i found and used hot glue to stick it in
works great and really tough saved myself 1000$ for a real pelican one.

check it out whats your opinion?

also what gear has everyone got?

i have a canon 400d
50mm 1.8   < this is my fav shoot everything but surf with it
75-300mm
18-55mm
35-75mm

and also heaps of rangefinders and 35mm cameras

Had a small padded camera bag with a broken strap so I decided to sew it into my Dakine with the opening out.  The camera bag was blue but I might see if spray paint works to change the color.  There is also an ice cream container on the inside to give it some rigidity though something like your drill case might be a bit more solid.

darb, we start work on skate in about two weeks, shooting locally. I will keep you posted.

Nelson, innovative stuff there buddy. Good work. I have seen a few good camera backpacks (Lowepro) going for about $100 if you are interested. http://www.lowepro.com/