The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

drc13’s New Zealand 2014 Trip Report

Mizu Kuma - 12 August 2014 03:28 PM

While I did also enjoy Fergburger, wait till ya get to Whistler Dave!!!!!

Splitz Grill!!!!! Have to be my favourite hamburger on the planet!!!!!

7 weeks and 4 days i will sample it for ya mate

Example of the typical lake tekapo shot

deanobruce - 12 August 2014 08:48 PM

Post me a Splitz Double, Banana Chillis, Cheese, Splitz Sauce!!!!! shaka

Only just read this. Such a good write up! Photo’s we’re great. I feel like I’ve been to NZ now LOL

ozgirl - 12 August 2014 09:01 PM

Ahh nice, I usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming into churches so no I don’t have that shot in my collection!

Koper - 13 August 2014 08:43 AM

Only just read this. Such a good write up! Photo’s we’re great. I feel like I’ve been to NZ now LOL

LOL now that’s an endorsement! Glad you got something out of it mate shaka

drc13 - 13 August 2014 10:01 AM
ozgirl - 12 August 2014 09:01 PM

Ahh nice, I usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming into churches so no I don’t have that shot in my collection!

You probably don’t have the need to use the Confessional though?????

drc13 - 13 August 2014 10:01 AM

Sounds like the time I dragged Andy and Dan into church for the blessing of the snow!

LOL

Only just saw this, been having some adventures myself the last couple of days.

Cracking report! Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to record it all.
Thanks ozgirl, too for the bullet points, as DRC ended up replying with the answers to some of my questions (how come you didn’t free-camp more etc)

Loving that you used your phone for all those pics, as well! Lots of really sick shots!

Bummed for you about the cancelled kayaking/doubtful sound cruise debacle. I recommend DIY in this department for next time, maybe? When Fred and his mates went to Milford Sound they bought a couple of cheapo blow up boats from kmart and paddled themselves and their gear over to mitre peak, climbed 3/4 of the way up and spent a night or two up there just taking it all in. So many iconic photos of that place and so many people go on expensive day trips on boats or kayaking but how many have actually set foot on it and spent quality time? I’m one of the grey mass that just went there on a boat trip (and loved it)...but definitely way more jealous of his experience.

Were the jucy vans where you sleep in the box on the roof an option?

Also, On our last trip to Wanaka (2011), Fred and I went for dinner at a Thai place in town (just looked it up, its called The Landing, I think), Torah was there as well, as she was in town for the NZ open, I think. She was still married to Jake Welch then I believe….anyway I guess I should have told you that beforehand so you could go every night just in case she was there! haha. smile

cords - 13 August 2014 08:42 PM

Only just saw this, been having some adventures myself the last couple of days.
Cracking report! Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to record it all.
Thanks ozgirl, too for the bullet points, as DRC ended up replying with the answers to some of my questions (how come you didn’t free-camp more etc)

Glad you got to see and enjoy this from the other end of the world Cords!

Loving that you used your phone for all those pics, as well! Lots of really sick shots!

Cheers shaka

Bummed for you about the cancelled kayaking/doubtful sound cruise debacle. I recommend DIY in this department for next time, maybe?

I would totally be up for the DIY option (might even ship my SUP over LOL) The main problem was the road was closed from Te Anau through to Milford Sound due to snow so access in or out (would have sucked to be stuck in there for a few days) so I couldn’t even get in there for a hike or explore.

Were the jucy vans where you sleep in the box on the roof an option?

Yeah the van I was in had the double bed in the box on the roof. The problem was despite not being a large guy and fairly nimble it was still a massive effort to get up and down there (essentially a muscle up) and once up there I could barely roll over without my shoulders getting jammed. I may have been doing it wrong but it ended up simply being storage space.

Also, On our last trip to Wanaka (2011), Fred and I went for dinner at a Thai place in town (just looked it up, its called The Landing, I think), Torah was there as well, as she was in town for the NZ open, I think. She was still married to Jake Welch then I believe….anyway I guess I should have told you that beforehand so you could go every night just in case she was there! haha. smile

Haha I love that boardworld is cheering on my efforts to lure Torah. kissing_heart

I’m still waitin for TJ to give ya a few of his stalkin tips!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 12 August 2014 09:08 PM
deanobruce - 12 August 2014 08:48 PM

Post me a Splitz Double, Banana Chillis, Cheese, Splitz Sauce!!!!! shaka

That sounds horrifyingly awesome

Mizu Kuma - 14 August 2014 11:01 AM

I’m still waitin for TJ to give ya a few of his stalkin tips!!!!!

Hah I’m happy to get my creep on but you’ve got to draw the line somewhere!  grrr