The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

drc13’s New Zealand 2014 Trip Report

Moer bullet points!

* stunned it was a phone for those images. I am very impressed! Def no need for an DSLR unless you are going to take it of auto!

* Did you go inside the church at Lake Tekapo?

* wow surprised by the cost of diesel and that is def something for people to note! My dad moans and complains that diesel in Aus is not really as cheap as it is supposed to be… Are RV’s diesel ? I think (don’t quote me) that diesel is cheaper by the litre but you use more of it? Bit like the E10 debate?

* would you consider going in the smaller van? Would that change any of your negative van issues?

* Wild Area photo. Didn’t word that well. I love the actual photo (not the name)  - didn’t get the LOTR reference sorry :-( 

* So the fan heater can with the van?

* Jamie Oliver Italian has polenta fires - have you been?

ozgirl - 12 August 2014 11:24 AM

Moer bullet points!

Moer answers!

* stunned it was a phone for those images. I am very impressed! Def no need for an DSLR unless you are going to take it of auto!

They’ve sure come a long way! Would have liked some optical zoom at times and was super jealous of the guys doing 30 second exposures when stargazing but it’s a perfect example of the best camera is the one on you theory.

* Did you go inside the church at Lake Tekapo?

No due to the crowd I can’t say I did, did I miss anything? Kicking myself after seeing last weeks Amazing Race in Christchurch, there was a memorial behind the cardboard cathedral that I didn’t even know about!

* wow surprised by the cost of diesel and that is def something for people to note! My dad moans and complains that diesel in Aus is not really as cheap as it is supposed to be… Are RV’s diesel ? I think (don’t quote me) that diesel is cheaper by the litre but you use more of it? Bit like the E10 debate?

It’s actually the opposite you get more range/litre out of a diesel engine than petrol. That’s why so many “eco friendly” cars now run tiny turbo diesel engines. My parents VW TDI Golf/Jetta easily get 800km out of a tank. AFAIK you get less out of LPG so maybe that’s what you heard?

Agreed definitely worth noting for future NZ road trippers which is why a 4WD Diesel would be high up on my considerations

* would you consider going in the smaller van? Would that change any of your negative van issues?

Smaller van would have hopefully been better for fuel economy and general driving/handling but still would have sucked for room/comfort. I think the smaller option also didn’t have any external power capabilities. I was probably still one of the smaller vans on the road compared to the winnebago style setups

* Wild Area photo. Didn’t word that well. I love the actual photo (not the name)  - didn’t get the LOTR reference sorry :-(

Ahh yeah I’m really happy with how that photo came up. It was an amazing place up there, I would have stuck around longer if the weather wasn’t so sketchy and I was pretty far from home. No LOTR reference to get as I forgot to redo the caption before posting! LOL 

* So the fan heater can with the van?

Yep I found it a couple of days into the trip stored in the kitchen cupboard. I was able to run it to heat up the van whenever I was parked at a powered site. Whilst still cold it made the nights better.

* Jamie Oliver Italian has polenta fires - have you been?

No haven’t made it there yet or seen the menu. From what I know though I reckon it’s a safe bet I’d enjoy it!

Great TR, drc.  What an effort you put into it and indeed the whole trip!  I’ve been to NZ once and I was also struck by the stunning scenery, especially the way the mountains suddenly loom up out of a flat plain.  I will definitely bookmark this TR for future reference in case I go back there.

What an adventure DRC!!! Thanks for sharing! Geez those photos are absolutely beautiful. I definitely need to get back to NZ… shred

** WOW Christchurch pics - I too didn’t realise how bad it was… So sad. Last time I was there was 1998…

While I did also enjoy Fergburger, wait till ya get to Whistler Dave!!!!!

Splitz Grill!!!!! Have to be my favourite hamburger on the planet!!!!!

Moer bullet points!

I agree!! I was looking through those photo’s thinking “man, I really need to buy a better camera!”

Awesome trip review and pictures though. It is definitely an amazing country. Such a shame you got such crappy weather though, particularly at Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound. We were lucky enough to have clear blue skies and sunshine when we went to Milford Sound and it was pretty spectacular. It’s a good excuse for you to go back at least!!

Mudhoney - 12 August 2014 01:04 PM

Great TR, drc.  What an effort you put into it and indeed the whole trip!  I’ve been to NZ once and I was also struck by the stunning scenery, especially the way the mountains suddenly loom up out of a flat plain.  I will definitely bookmark this TR for future reference in case I go back there.

Thanks mate it the effort is more than worth it when I hear other people are getting something out of it. Yes the varying landscape is incredible, I was expecting great scenery but it wasn’t until I was there that I could fully appreciate it.

Billy - 12 August 2014 01:26 PM

What an adventure DRC!!! Thanks for sharing! Geez those photos are absolutely beautiful. I definitely need to get back to NZ… shred

** WOW Christchurch pics - I too didn’t realise how bad it was… So sad. Last time I was there was 1998…

Glad you enjoyed it Billy! As well as my photos came out they really don’t do the place justice, and I agree very sad about Christchurch from what I saw they have quite a few years to go!

NZ in our Winter and Japan in our Summer sounds like a pretty healthy combo to me!

Mizu Kuma - 12 August 2014 03:28 PM

While I did also enjoy Fergburger, wait till ya get to Whistler Dave!!!!!
Splitz Grill!!!!! Have to be my favourite hamburger on the planet!!!!!

Haha so maybe I’m a weirdo but I’m concerned I’m going to be all burger/junk fooded out over 5 weeks in North America. I’m definitely hitting you up for some food recommendations again though!

air180 - 12 August 2014 04:48 PM

Moer bullet points!

I agree!! I was looking through those photo’s thinking “man, I really need to buy a better camera!”

Awesome trip review and pictures though. It is definitely an amazing country. Such a shame you got such crappy weather though, particularly at Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound. We were lucky enough to have clear blue skies and sunshine when we went to Milford Sound and it was pretty spectacular. It’s a good excuse for you to go back at least!!

Haha thanks air180, I took over 1600 photos over the 2 weeks (got to love digital) so was hoping I’d snag a few decent shots.

You’ve read my mind not that I really needed an excuse but a Milford Sound kayak is still on my bucket list. I’ll just be making lots of calls before I drive there!

Back to the photos, just looking at them on this computer the resizing has made some of them pretty small especially the panoramas. If you like what you see it might be worth right clicking and copying the image url so you can view it in it’s full size shaka

Did ya go to Atlas Beer Cafe, and any Japanese places in QT?????

Also, The Bunker is top notch food but a little more made for couples etc due to the atmos!!!!! Torah would like it!!!!!

When we chopper end into Milford, the pilot said that while the drive in from QT is nice, they get a heap of calls for flights back out as it’s a bit of a journey!!!!!

We were lucky we had a bluebird day with zero wind!!!!!

A shame that the weather closed in around Glenorchy too!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 12 August 2014 04:54 PM

Did ya go to Atlas Beer Cafe, and any Japanese places in QT?????
Also, The Bunker is top notch food but a little more made for couples etc due to the atmos!!!!! Torah would like it!!!!!

No mate don’t believe I made it to Atlas in QT. Off the top of my head I did Fergburger, Fergbaker, Speights Ale House, Cow Pizza, Pub on Wharf, 1876 before I ran out of days. I shortlisted some Japanese places when I did my QT recon but then discovered all the things I liked the look of were only on their lunch menus and not the dinner menus. As I think you had mentioned they definitely weren’t Japanese prices so I went elsewhere (and had Japanese a couple of other times elsewhere)

Oh mate just the mention of Torah has made my heart flutter heart If I’d known about the Bunker I could have slipped an offer of a date into our 10 second conversation. Guess I’ll just have to wait for her to eventually make contact…  clapkissing_heart

Mizu Kuma - 12 August 2014 04:57 PM

When we chopper end into Milford, the pilot said that while the drive in from QT is nice, they get a heap of calls for flights back out as it’s a bit of a journey!!!!!

We were lucky we had a bluebird day with zero wind!!!!!

A shame that the weather closed in around Glenorchy too!!!!!

Yeah the drive from QT to Te Anau was interesting for me as the flatlands were soo white which I didn’t imagine was common. I really would have loved to have done some of the hikes off the milford road as well ahh well next time.

Ergh once again that was annoying about Glenorchy I can only imagine what that view along the road would be like. I loved the colour of the lakes with the big snow capped mountains in the background so sounded like it would be right up my ally. Not much in the town of Glenorchy though!

LOL I’m sure you’ll meet her on the hill again!!!!!

Unless she has you arrested for stalking, that is?????

Mizu Kuma - 12 August 2014 05:06 PM

LOL I’m sure you’ll meet her on the hill again!!!!!
Unless she has you arrested for stalking, that is?????

Honestly at this stage that would be a pretty valid concern for her to have!

I’m kicking myself I rushed off to catch up with my mates rather than miraculously sharing the same chair and then impressing her with my snow plowing technique!

LOL

Epic report mate shaka

The Diesel v Petrol price thing, can’t remember exactly, but I think the rego for a diesel is heaps dearer in NZ than a petrol engined vehicle, so they recoup on petrol driven by shafting you on fuel. (local explained it, I may of been drunk billy )

Azz - 12 August 2014 06:41 PM

Epic report mate shaka

The Diesel v Petrol price thing, can’t remember exactly, but I think the rego for a diesel is heaps dearer in NZ than a petrol engined vehicle, so they recoup on petrol driven by shafting you on fuel. (local explained it, I may of been drunk billy )

Cheers mate!

That’s interesting if your drunken memories are true billy The positive of the insane NZ petrol price was my first tank back in Sydney of 98ron didn’t feel too bad. Unfortunately that delirium soon wore off..