The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anyone Snowskating in Aus?

Hi Guys,

My kids and I have been messing with snowskates in Victoria on foot over the last two seasons. Sneaking around cross country resorts before and after the snow season when no one else is around.

This season I asked the Vic resorts if we could ride their lifts. Hotham and Buller were a no and still waiting to hear from the others. Went to Mt Stirling on Sunday and was turned down there too. The ski patrollers think snowskates are fun but for some reason won’t allow them. Was surprised by Buller’s response given the support for the Cross-board.

So far Cresta at Mt Buffalo (ski lifts closed since 2009) is the only place we have found we can hike and ride without being bothered.

I get that Snowboarding is generally the thing in Aus and Vic, but we are really enjoying the snow skates and having never Snowboarded happy to continue on this path. While I have skied and do a little LDP in the summer, my kids have only skated and they are stoked with the snow version.

There is a story about our humble adventures at

Project Snowskate

and some pics and vids at

Buffalo Snowskaters

Not really looking to debate the pros or cons of snowskates versus snowboards, each to their own I say, but am interested if anyone else like minded is out there.

Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to Boardworld, Nick.

Before I even read your post, my thought was, “have they actually allowed snowskating at the Australian resorts?” Turns out I wasn’t wrong by what you’ve said. Australian resorts are notoriously close-minded about this sort of stuff.

I have snowskated before in the USA, and I definitely enjoy the challenge. Resorts like Whistler Blackcomb also allow snowskating. I often see guys cruising through the terrain parks on snowskates.

I don’t really see how they are dangerous given a leash is used. It’s unfortunate the resorts here haven’t been more open to the idea.

Anyway, keep pushing and hopefully this will change in the future.

Mt Stirling Ski Patrol has agreed to a limited trial during August on one of the practice slopes. We will need to snowshoe to get there so we don’t post hole and make the xc trails icy but hoping this is a small gliding step towards broader acceptance.  grin

Pretty sure Jez is right into it!!!!!

Ohhh hang on!!!!!

You said “Snow” Skates!!!!!

And welcome up on in, buffalo!!!!! shaka