The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler Blackcomb 14/15 Season

Hi guys, new to the forum- going to be doing a season in Whistler 14/15 and just had a few questions to throw out there!  Have already got a job working in rentals at Whistler Creekside- ideally would have loved to be somewhere closer to the main resort but this is the selection i received! 
Ive never been to Whistler so unsure what Creekside is like and was just wondering if anyone had experienced that side? atmosphere etc.
Also with Staff accommodation I’m keen to stay in Glacier so i can have the ski in/ski out option and also the social aspect is very appealing!!
What is it like going from Whistler to creekside for example on my work days, am i able to board there? is there staff buses that run daily so i will be able to get back and forth?
Anyone that can throw me some tips will be much appreciated!!

Look forward to the shredding times wink

Cheers

Matt

Welcome to Boardworld, Matt. shaka

I have spent five seasons in total living in or near Creekside, so I know the area pretty well.

First of all, Creekside is great. Creekside was actually the original village back in the day. Transport is super easy to the village via bus or even heading up Creekside gondola and riding down to the village. You have everything you need in Creekside, including supermarket, liquor stores, restaurants, and even the gondola as I mentioned. I also find Creekside to be a bit more quieter and less “touristy” which can be nice if you appreciate that.

More on getting up the mountain, you literally have a main gondola right at the base, going straight up Whistler Mountain. Quite often you will actually get up quicker this way as the village tends to get really busy. And vice versa of course… super easy to ride straight down to Creekside (just depends what time you start work etc.). Likewise, buses run regularly to and from, however this isn’t a free bus and you will have to buy a pass (best value will be the “Club Shred” 6 month pass—get this one quickly, I think they are limited).

In regards to staying in Glacier… you have all the positive points right, but it can be a bit inconvenient as well, and it’s probably more rundown than the others. If you are working in Creekside, it might be worth considering staying in Westside or Brio—both of which are closer (Westside is literally one bus stop).

Other than that, you’re in for the time of your life. Feel free to hit us up if you have any further questions. I’ll be heading over at the end of September and I hope to catch up with a lot of Boardworld members. Keep us posted and best of luck with organising your trip. Also check out the other Whistler threads in Mountain and Travel as there is heaps of useful info.

Cheers for the info will take that all on board, going to have to decide in the next couple of weeks! Anyone else planning on spending the season in Whistler? have jobs lined up etc?

There are a few BW members already here in Whistler working and some members returning for the 14-15 season and a whole bunch more coming to visit throughout the season.

I’m currently living in Whistler working as a lifty.

I’ll be there for the season as well. Can’t wait to get back. We fly out from Sydney at the end of September.

Wilmshurst - 20 July 2014 07:26 PM

There are a few BW members already here in Whistler working and some members returning for the 14-15 season and a whole bunch more coming to visit throughout the season.

I’m currently living in Whistler working as a lifty.

Awesome will be good to catch up with a few of you on the mountain! .. Wilmshurst - What is it like being a lifty in Whistler i had the selection of either Rental tech or Lifty- and decided to go with the rental side of things - but either or I would have been happy with!

Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply.

Being a lifty is all about what you are willing to put into it and therefore what you will get out. It’s generally a lot of digging and smiling and more digging. You are the face of the company cause when the fit hits the shan you are the guy who the guests are going to be grumpy with.

I loved pretty much every minute of the digging and smiling I’d like to think I pulled my fair share of the work with my crew and so everything ran nice and smoothly and things were done well and on time. When anything did go wrong like an injury or someone didn’t load the chair properly I found it really good to be chatting with people from as soon as they were in my sight until they were on the way up the mountain so you at least seemed to care that you wanted them to have a good time.

I’ve now moved into maintenance so I don’t know if I’ll be working the lifts again for winter but if you need more info let me know.