The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

Oh, bummer.

Sounds like you have a lot of other options though. wink

rider26 - 14 August 2014 04:52 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of other options though. wink

That I do. Honestly if I really wanted to go I wouldn’t have too much trouble finding a job given the industry I’m in an my qualifications.

I’ve got it pretty sweet here, there really is no reason for me to leave. I was more applying cuase it’s kinda one of those things you should do at some stage and it’s much easier to get the visa when you’re under 31.

Just starting to plan my stint in Whistler and have a few questions.

At this stage I’m looking at booking a flight from Washington > Vancouver on the 7-1 which should arrive in YVR @8.45pm.

What is my best option for getting to Whistler Village at this time? From what I can tell I will be too late for the shuttle bus. I could hire and drive up there myself but I guess I’d be looking at a 1 way hire which wouldn’t be cheap presuming they are actually available. Any other options?

I’ve got my eye on a NHL game in Vancouver on Saturday 10th. I haven’t actually found a way to purchase tickets yet so any advice would be appreciated.

If I can get tickets the plan would be to spend the day exploring Vancouver, watching the game then heading back to Whistler at night. Once again what’s the best option for transport.

Final transfer would be from Whistler to YVR on my day of departure (17-1)

I’m also weighing up the choice of lugging all my snow gear around the USA with me vs hiring (just board/bindings) so I don’t need to use a board bag. What would I roughly be looking at for board/bindings hire of something pretty modern/decent? I’ll be riding at least 5 days (using my thredbo pass 50% off) and can potentially ride a 3-4 days more hopefully snagging a staff discount for those days.

Are there any other side trips, hikes, siteseeing I could do based out of Whistler if I decide I’ve had enough boarding?

Hey mate, when I was over in the states at the start of the year I bought all my tickets off stubhub.com. We bought nhl, nfl and nba tickets from there and found it easy enough. Prices vary as you are buying off other people but it was the only way we could get tickets.

danho - 15 August 2014 06:55 PM

Hey mate, when I was over in the states at the start of the year I bought all my tickets off stubhub.com. We bought nhl, nfl and nba tickets from there and found it easy enough. Prices vary as you are buying off other people but it was the only way we could get tickets.

Thanks mate,

I had heard of stubhub but didn’t know how reliable it was. Just had a browse through and love that I can set a date range in each city I’ll be in and see what is available.

Any other Canadian regs got any advice on my other questions? (hoping to book internal flight soonish)

drc13 - 15 August 2014 12:43 PM

Just starting to plan my stint in Whistler and have a few questions.

At this stage I’m looking at booking a flight from Washington > Vancouver on the 7-1 which should arrive in YVR @8.45pm.

What is my best option for getting to Whistler Village at this time? From what I can tell I will be too late for the shuttle bus. I could hire and drive up there myself but I guess I’d be looking at a 1 way hire which wouldn’t be cheap presuming they are actually available. Any other options?

I’ve got my eye on a NHL game in Vancouver on Saturday 10th. I haven’t actually found a way to purchase tickets yet so any advice would be appreciated.

If I can get tickets the plan would be to spend the day exploring Vancouver, watching the game then heading back to Whistler at night. Once again what’s the best option for transport.

Final transfer would be from Whistler to YVR on my day of departure (17-1)

I’m also weighing up the choice of lugging all my snow gear around the USA with me vs hiring (just board/bindings) so I don’t need to use a board bag. What would I roughly be looking at for board/bindings hire of something pretty modern/decent? I’ll be riding at least 5 days (using my thredbo pass 50% off) and can potentially ride a 3-4 days more hopefully snagging a staff discount for those days.

Are there any other side trips, hikes, siteseeing I could do based out of Whistler if I decide I’ve had enough boarding?

Sorry, just saw this. wink

In regards to buses to Whistler, have you checked http://www.greyhound.ca? (edit: scrap that, I just checked).

I also checked with http://www.perimeterbus.com/ too and the last bus is 9:00pm. Looks like you might be out of luck.

Either way it would be a late arrival in Whistler. Have you considered spending the one night in Vancouver and making your way to Whistler first thing in the morning? You don’t lose much time at all, maybe a couple of hours in the morning, and a hotel in Vancouver will probably be cheaper than Whistler anyway.

If you are super stuck, and you’ve already booked into Whistler for your arrival night, let me know and I’ll see what I can hustle.

NHL game… one of the reputable sites like Stubhub or even eBay from a reputable seller. I think that’s what I’ve done in the past.

Don’t hire would be my advice. Is it really worth spending that much on gear that won’t be nearly as good as yours. Tough it out and take your gear with you, I say. It’s the life of a snowboarder… punch

rider26 - 19 August 2014 11:22 AM

Glad you’ve seen it now, I’m hoping to get some more planning done tonight thumbsup

I’ve actually already got those nights booked at my Whistler accommodation so staying in Vancouver for the night would mean I would be paying for 2 places. The thought had crossed my mind but I’m hoping to find a better solution. I’ve just confirmed with Summit Lodge that they have a 24hr check in so at least that would be fine.

Yep have since found NHL tickets on stubhub for a non NHL fan are the cheaper seats in Vancouvers stadium good enough for a dose of atmosphere?

Are there any special transfers to/from Whistler on game night or am I best off hiring a car again?

Haha yeah figured I’d be best lugging my gear but held some hope that Whistler miraculously had modern hire/demo gear at a cheap enough price to consider not waiting forever in the oversized baggage pickup.

I’ll pick you up. Just pay me for the fuel.

*I’m a good kid. wink

Can’t ya freight forward ya gear from the States to Canada as soon as ya land?????

Surely it won’t be a fraction of the cost to hire ya gear?????

drc13 - 19 August 2014 11:56 AM
rider26 - 19 August 2014 11:22 AM

Yep have since found NHL tickets on stubhub for a non NHL fan are the cheaper seats in Vancouvers stadium good enough for a dose of atmosphere?

Are there any special transfers to/from Whistler on game night or am I best off hiring a car again?

Haha yeah figured I’d be best lugging my gear but held some hope that Whistler miraculously had modern hire/demo gear at a cheap enough price to consider not waiting forever in the oversized baggage pickup.

Yep, anywhere in the stadium is sick. I’ve been twice on cheaper tickets and it was rad!

That’s a good question… I guess if you’re not willing to stay in Van for the night, it makes it a bit harder. Let me know prices before you book tickets and I may decide to join you and drive. *I’m a good kid. wink

Ohhhh… you want gear in Whistler! Now THAT we can hook up. I have a bunch of gear you can borrow. Remind me your board/binding sizes. If not, I might be able to organise you a sick demo combo provided you write a review.

rider26 - 19 August 2014 12:45 PM

I’ll pick you up. Just pay me for the fuel.
*I’m a good kid. wink

Seriously? If so that would be awesome more than happy to cover fuel + whatever.

rider26 - 19 August 2014 12:49 PM

Yep, anywhere in the stadium is sick. I’ve been twice on cheaper tickets and it was rad!

That’s a good question… I guess if you’re not willing to stay in Van for the night, it makes it a bit harder. Let me know prices before you book tickets and I may decide to join you and drive. *I’m a good kid. wink

Ohhhh… you want gear in Whistler! Now THAT we can hook up. I have a bunch of gear you can borrow. Remind me your board/binding sizes. If not, I might be able to organise you a sick demo combo provided you write a review.

That would be mad fun if you came along (I might have to make my own way down in the morning though as I wouldn’t mind spending the day exploring Vancouver before the game)

The game I’m looking at is this one let me know if you are keen!
http://www.stubhub.com/vancouver-canucks-tickets/vancouver-canucks-vancouver-rogers-arena-1-10-2015-9076380/

Ok it pains me to agree but you are coming up with all the goods here mate! Yep the only boarding I would be doing is in Whistler the rest of the trip is touristy USA stuff where I won’t need anything. I generally ride a 153ish board and have size 9US 32 boots.

Could the world really put up with another long winded review of mine? Happy to use my charlie slasher or any of my trip reports as references! LOL

When i got tickets for me and Jez, I used this site at the time, Dave!!!!!

http://www.eventticketsexpress.com/

Not sure if they’ll be any cheaper, but at the time they were the best I could get!!!!!

Good seats too!!!!! Even if they were a little up the back!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 19 August 2014 12:48 PM

Can’t ya freight forward ya gear from the States to Canada as soon as ya land?????
Surely it won’t be a fraction of the cost to hire ya gear?????

Not sure mate had ignorantly figured they wouldn’t have it as sorted as the Japanese.

Mizu Kuma - 19 August 2014 12:59 PM

When i got tickets for me and Jez, I used this site at the time, Dave!!!!!
http://www.eventticketsexpress.com/
Not sure if they’ll be any cheaper, but at the time they were the best I could get!!!!!
Good seats too!!!!! Even if they were a little up the back!!!!!

Fantastic thanks mate will take a look at them now!

Yeah, I’m probably bein a little Takkyubin Naive myself there????? LOL

Yeah, we’re good. Just remind me a week in advance or something. You can buy me an A&W burger on the way home!

I’ll let you know soon re: hockey.

Yep at the very least I’ll have a Burton Custom 154 and Burton C02 bindings (medium) for you. It’s a bit trashed but will do the trick. I’ll try hustle something better though.