The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

lolSam - 22 May 2014 04:53 PM
DylanV - 21 May 2014 08:18 PM
lolSam - 21 May 2014 07:55 PM
DylanV - 01 April 2014 09:51 PM

Almost done, just waiting on Pol check to arrive in mail & IEC cond acceptance to be approved

I just send mine off on Monday, fingers crossed!

How long did it take you guys to hear back after sending this off? (The work permit application)

Mine came through in less than 24hrs, but i think about 2 weeks is normal

Surely you didn’t get your 2yr permit approved in <24hrs? The IEC acceptance letter took less than a week but I was looking up the average permit times and it was like 3 months? :s

I was waiting for my police check longer than anything else! My IEC acceptance letter took 3 days and my 2yr work permit came through in less than 24hrs once submitted. Believe me I was not expecting that!

*not sure if it came into play at all, but my trade covers a broad range of required skills listed in the skill shortages

nvm!

Did it come thru?

Wow! Thanks for sharing such detailed info! I went to a ski resort in Ontario named Mount St. Louis Moonstone and it was a pretty great experience http://www.mountstlouis.com/skiing/ so check it out if you like smile

Once I get some time I’ll make a new one of these for next season. With updates from myself who has now worked a season overseas. Hopefully I can get some others who have also done seasons to answer a few questions to make the post a lot more informative for everyone smile

down for answering any questions Mr Tj!

TJswish - 25 May 2014 10:01 PM

Once I get some time I’ll make a new one of these for next season. With updates from myself who has now worked a season overseas. Hopefully I can get some others who have also done seasons to answer a few questions to make the post a lot more informative for everyone smile

Just want to say a big, big Thank You to TJ for helping me out & answering all my questions! Really appreciate you taking the time.

I know that this has probably already been talked about but I’m not reading 40 pages of content so here goes;

1. How do you get your police check done?
2. How did you guys do your photos?

Otherwise I think I’ve done the rest of my documents.

The link for getting the police check is on the first page.

I know people do passport photos themselves but I just don’t want the stress for such an important thing -you would hate to be rejected over the photo!

So i still get them done at either a camera shop or a chemist who says they do them.

In my job I am still doing this a lot for my boss’s, they always say when i tell them to go get it done “can you just do it” and i say hell no don’t want you yelling at me if i don’t get the specifications right! .

Even the post office does passport photos.

When are you going to Canada, Tobi? Where are you going?

Yeah, the Post Office is the gun for Passport Pics!!!!!

So just get normal passport photos done and scan them?

ozgirl - 28 July 2014 12:44 PM

The link for getting the police check is on the first page.

Thanks!

rider26 - 28 July 2014 01:38 PM

When are you going to Canada, Tobi? Where are you going?

I don’t actually have any plans to at the moment.

You have until your 31st birthday to do the application with the IEC process, after that it becomes a lot harder to obtain a visa. I applied just before my 31st and have another couple of weeks before the conditional acceptance period runs out. My current plan is to get the final approval & then I’ll arrange a trip over at some stage to pick up the visa then decide what I want to do with it. I may end up doing nothing & not using it.

I’d rather have it up my sleave in case I want to use it, than not having it at all.

Good thinking. I did that once too.

I’m officially on my last visa now (turned 31 in March), but I’ll be applying for residency during this stint over there. Doesn’t hurt that my wife is Canadian. wink

Unless she ditches ya for a wealthier, better lookin guy?????

She should have plenty of options!!!!! smirk

That’s a great plan Tobi!

And nice profile pic grin