The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Recommended remedies

I found Arnica cream a couple of years ago and it is what keeps me riding through the season. It fixes bruises, sore muscles, sprains, etc and relieves swelling. I know they sell it in Australia but my friends in Canada, America and Japan have never heard of it. If you haven’t tried it, def do!

Yesterday I found Calendula cream, so I ordered a tube to try it out on my daughter. It’s supposedly good for cuts & scrapes, as well as bruises.

anyone got any other great remedies?

Oh yeah, I tried some omega 3 pills… but when I burp afterwards I get a fishy aftertaste - like I’ve been eating sushi! I haven’t noticed any increased brain activity though

I take Glucosamine and Omega-3 every day. It’s hard to gauge whether it helps or not, but I believe in the science, so at the very least I’m getting a placebo effect. wink

Gamblor, they have Omega-3 tablets with different coatings. The one I take only breaks down way down your digestive system so you never taste anything.

Orudis Gel is another good one for inflammation, bruising etc.

I can’t recommend “Percutane” cream enough for situations when you might normally use something like Deep Heat or Voltaren.

Last soccer season I’d had hamstring tightness and soreness that was bothering me the whole way through my games. In the warm up one week I nabbed some of this percutane cream from a team mate, rubbed it on before running a bit more & it completely disappeared!
I’d already tried deep heat with no luck.

Its all natural ingredients, too. Some people complain that its too hot & burny but I love the stuff!
I just got mine from the local chemist. Here is a link that I just got from google so you can know what it looks like and read the description if you’re interested!

http://www.sportstek.net/prices/percutane.php

As far as I know…

Glucosamine is good for the ‘early’ onset of arthritis and prevention, and in those who are at higher risk of osteoarthritis ie high impact sporting athletes, previous surgery etc. Glucosamine is believed to ‘lubricate’ joints. may be effective for joint soreness, but not necessarily for muscle soreness, bruises, sprains, swelling.

I’m also a fan of Voltaren gel. Its cheap and an effective way to reduce inflammation. (Although its not as fast absorbing as a tablet). Speaking of the tablet though, in acute imflammation, its ok to take it for a few days in a row, but there are warnings about the ongoing use and its side effects. *check with a pharmacist*

From personal experience I love deep heat for muscle soreness, especially when I put my beloved skins on immediately after applying it! Skins in itself is great! I use deep heat after a lot before and after my soccer games. Not entirely certain the exact effect it has on muscle, but I do know it feels great and I get symptomatic relief.

Supported 100% by me Mizu. ~No ice~

Heat packs.

Brufen (Ibobrufen/Neurofen etc…) Paracetamol is overrated for recovery.
Voltaren works. Hot shower/bath/spa/sauna.

Aloe Vera - I grow it everywhere I live, good for open wounds and burns abrasions.

Honey!!! natures antibiotic, honey is a cure-all.
Manuka Honey is known as one of the best, Australian honey is being produced for healing reasons.
Gashes, cuts, burns, flu, infection, general sickness, boost immunity, depression….........
Consume honey from your local area to cure hay-fever and localised plant allergies.
And it tastes so good!!!!!!!!!!

interesting, Spaz! My wife developped hay fever last year so I think I’ll get her some manuka honey to see if it works

yep, just did the research and found a place in town that makes & sell honey.

That’s the theory Mizu, the honey is produced by bee’s, off the local flowering plants that cause allergic reactions (like hay fever). Consuming local honey has an immunity built into its structure which is passed onto/into you.

I like ice on injuries right after they happen, but i turn to heat for the real healing.
makes sense about the honey- I ate a lot of honey when i was a kid, wonder if it played a part in my lack of allergies smile

Becky - 08 April 2011 01:18 AM

As far as I know…

I’m also a fan of Voltaren gel. Its cheap and an effective way to reduce inflammation. (Although its not as fast absorbing as a tablet). Speaking of the tablet though, in acute imflammation, its ok to take it for a few days in a row, but there are warnings about the ongoing use and its side effects. *check with a pharmacist*

As Becky has mentioned previously, Oral anti-inflammatories are fine for short courses (up to 2-3 weeks). Long term, continuous use should really involve assessment by a medical professional for your overall cardiovascular risk.
Recently, large studies have shown an increase in cardiovascular events (thrombotic events such as heart attacks, ischaemic stroke) in those using Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen - Nurofen, Voltaren - Diclofenac, Celebrex - Celecoxib) - although this issue is still up for debate

Lastly, for soft tissue injuries such as twisted ankles/knees, muscle tears etc…, NSAIDs (anti-inflamamtories) are not recommended within the first 24 hours due to increasing the bleeding risk into these damaged areas. RICE RICE RICE in the first 24 hours + Panadol for pain relief if needed, then anti-inflammatories from the next day..

Voltaren is all you need. Cant feel anything after that

^^agreed

Yeah!!!!

I’ll re-post mine as it was deleted in “The Incident”!!!!!

Tiger Balm Red for any Muscular injuries!!!!!

Voltaren for nerve pain!!!!!

And as I did once say - I don’t use ICE for the injury as I have found that this prolongs recovery!!!!!

T-Spec - 01 May 2011 01:35 AM
Becky - 08 April 2011 01:18 AM

As far as I know…

As Becky has mentioned previously, Oral anti-inflammatories are fine for short courses (up to 2-3 weeks). Long term, continuous use should really involve assessment by a medical professional for your overall cardiovascular risk.
Recently, large studies have shown an increase in cardiovascular events (thrombotic events such as heart attacks, ischaemic stroke) in those using Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen - Nurofen, Voltaren - Diclofenac, Celebrex - Celecoxib) - although this issue is still up for debate

Lastly, for soft tissue injuries such as twisted ankles/knees, muscle tears etc…, NSAIDs (anti-inflamamtories) are not recommended within the first 24 hours due to increasing the bleeding risk into these damaged areas. RICE RICE RICE in the first 24 hours + Panadol for pain relief if needed, then anti-inflammatories from the next day..

Stay away from Voltaren tabs. The side afect are not worth it. If you do mind bleeding from your ass when you get older, hook in.

Ice in general Mizu??

Have you tried alternating between heat and ice??

I never go to the snow without Tiger Balm. I love it, and the smell reminds me of the snow so it makes me happy smile. Also b…b…b…berocca to cure a sore head after a big night smile