The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The link between Skateboarding & Snowboarding

^^^ Jamie Stenner, skates for Razor.

Funny I love skating on a longer deck and have found my stance for riding getting wider and wider. I am only short and I am thinking that 22inch stance is where I am heading now.

Andy Aitken - 23 August 2011 05:02 AM

But u just deal with it like you would snowboarding.

So in my case that means bailing and sliding down the hill on your face or back.

Hmmmm…. Think I’d better give freebording a miss then.  tongue rolleye

rider26 - 22 August 2011 07:32 AM

^^ They have six wheels. The two wheels in the middle of the board rotate 360 degrees. The four outside wheels act like a snowboard edge, providing grip through the turn. When you’re turning only the two inside wheels and the two edge wheels are in contact with the ground. Hopefully that explains it somewhat. smile

Oh lol..  teacherboy from the top it looked just like a longboard, massive retard moment haha. that looks sick.. where do you buy them from in Aus?

You can buy them directly off their Aus website.

http://www.freebordaustralia.com/

They also list retailers that stock them.

got mates who have freebords. i had a go a few trimes but not my thing. i like my skin!

C J Parker - 23 August 2011 07:56 PM

^^^ Jamie Stenner, skates for Razor.

Funny I love skating on a longer deck and have found my stance for riding getting wider and wider. I am only short and I am thinking that 22inch stance is where I am heading now.

Oh Jamie Stenner, yeah I’ve seen a few vids of him. Give him props from me shaka

So, inspired buy watching street league on tv and for the sake improving my boarding (skate & snow) I’ve decided to just stop talking about it and have a proper go at skating for a few months to see if I can at least feel in control and learn a few tricks.
I had a lot of fun on a mini ramp the other day and I think that transition is my thing on a board. Probably cause I still can’t ollie on to anything lol but maybe that will come later.

Good stuff, Andy! Give it a proper go and keep us posted. You’re tempting me to get back on a skateboard.

Do it! I kinda felt like people would be laughing at me or I would be in the way but skaters these days are way more friendly than I remember.
It’s really cool

I’m thinking about making a Team Skater progress thread, just like the Team Progress Thread for snowboarding.
What do u reckon?

Sounds like a great idea.

Wow, good thread this one!
I’m 32 years old and I find myself in the same position.

I love snowboarding and I hit the slopes whenever I can, but during the summer I look for something to fill the gap.
I have a skateboard and I have even driven to local skate parks only to walk around a bit and watch the local kids do what I cant.
I rolled into a vert ramp once and fell over straight away (and im talking about the flat part on the bottom) maybe one day I will have another go but start off in a smaller ramp or something?

If you want to start skating, you should do it LowGuido.
I made this thread about half a year ago or more and it was when I started to really learn to skate. Now I’m still skating and loving it!
It takes a lot of practice but it’s usually a lot of fun too.
I will say, it’s frustrating in the beginning, but the better you get, the more fun it becomes. And I’m still a really novice skater, but love it.

Check out the tutorial videos on here too, made by our skate coach Mitch Faber.  And skaters in the park will see you learning and help u out too.
Also check out the skater progress thread, that’s where we all post our new tricks when we get them, and the experienced skaters will help you decide what to learn next and how to do it.

Get rolling Low, you won’t regret it.

ok so im at this tiny little pathetic ramp which is so small it looks like no one even bothers to ride it. However i get about halfway up and i feel like im going to eat shit so bad. Im way too scared to drop in from the top and i can only make it about half way up on my own steam. Any tips on what i should be doing?

Alright, so tell me how you are riding the ramp. Are you kick turning (lifting the front wheels to turn back down the ramp) or rolling up and coming back down backwards (fakie)?

# Riding the ramp - You should learn both kick turns and rolling to fakie, because u will be using both later in skating. Also it’s good to do both just to mix it up, so you’re not doing the same one thing over and over and getting bored.

# Getting higher in the ramp - Simply take it slow, once you are comfortable at a certain height, aim an inch or 2 above that. Just keep working your way up slowly.

# Dropping in - Check all your local parks for the SMALLEST quarter pipe you can find and don’t drop in unless you can kick turn at the top of that ramp.
Before you try dropping in, get used to rolling in on flat banks.
Once you can do that, you can try dropping in on the flat bank. It’s a nice safe step to take before trying to drop in on a quarter pipe.
Check out the tutorial vids in red “SKATE” button section. It has a detailed tutorial on dropping in.

Tell us how you go man   shaka

unfortunately shortly after I posted it started to rain so I got out of there.
but I gave it a few goes kick turning and riding fakie. i think the fakie was working better for me, because I was starting the get the feeling of the pump action, bending my knees and sort of pushing my weight into the ramp.

I feel I should probably invest in some pads/helmet because im definitely gonna eat shit sooner or later.