The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Jumping back in the deep end…literally i guess

Cheers guys, going from working outside, running around,climbing on houses/ladders/fences etc to sitting at a desk getting next to no exercise makes you realise how much fitness you get just from actually walking around/working outdoors!

@TJSWISH haha as is my arm tonight unfortunately. but im still going the gym at 530am to sweat out the booze!

T-Spec - 06 July 2011 06:34 AM
Mizu Kuma - 30 June 2011 11:10 PM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 June 2011 05:51 AM

Ive been training hard for the Shred. Different sort of training though billy

Hahahahahaa!!!!! Yeah, my drinkin arm is buff also!!!!!! I’ve had that in trainin for years now!!!!!

What else happens with that drinking arm O.o

I also use it to Punch Dance my rage out T-Spec!!!!! Why, what else would YOU use it for???  cool hmm

Mizu Kuma - 06 July 2011 09:43 AM
T-Spec - 06 July 2011 06:34 AM
Mizu Kuma - 30 June 2011 11:10 PM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 June 2011 05:51 AM

Ive been training hard for the Shred. Different sort of training though billy

Hahahahahaa!!!!! Yeah, my drinkin arm is buff also!!!!!! I’ve had that in trainin for years now!!!!!

What else happens with that drinking arm O.o

I also use it to Punch Dance my rage out T-Spec!!!!! Why, what else would YOU use it for???  cool hmm

HAHAHAHA!!!!

umm going back to the physio next week and hopefully get my boot off…but am leaving for NZ in two weeks so I’m taking it with me there to wear when I’m not riding. Not sure when I’ll be able to run/play soccer again. hopefully soon!

well started back seriously at the gym again (went to the snow 2 weeks ago so didnt go the few days leading up to it so i wasnt sore on the slopes and then took a few days to get back into it after i got home) and maaaaan am i sore.

Was just running and swimming but i saw the weights room and i couldnt hepl myself so im goign to be doing weights mainly with some running/swimming on my off days. Ordered some protein and BCAA’s last night which should hopefully be here today or tomorrow. Im actually going to log my progress this time(when i first started the gym years ago i said i would log it but never did), found a pretty cool app in the android marketplace with heaps of different excercises/spreadsheets to log any growth/gains.

unlike my first few years at the gym im not aiming to get as big as i can, thats way too much effort in terms of strict diet, hundreds of dollars a month in supplements etc. but to mainly A)get fit B)build up muscular endurance to assist with snowboarding and C)look cut as for the ladies…ok thats a lie wink  just to feel and look healthy and fit.

Strangely i miss this feeling of muscle soreness, it lets you know that you have actually worked your body. and it gives me an excuse to get the missus to massage me…

Good stuff Deano, been on that wagon for about 2 months now.  When I left Melb in August last year I weighed 100kgs flat, was very fit from training for and playing AFL as well as 3 weights sessions a week and surfing.  I got home to Sydney and promptly dissolved into a period of 9 months of drinking and eating like shit.  I think I was massively burned out from all the training and managed to put on 20kgs, none of it muscle!

Finally cracked it a bit less than 2 moths ago, started hitting the weights and walking in the morning and night.  So far have come down to around 115kgs which doesn’t sound like much but I have shaved a lot of fat but added muscle again.  I’m going to step it up again over the next month to get to under 110kgs before I go to NZ.  One of my big motivators is looking at old pics of myself where I was lean and fit.

same! i saw a photo of me at summafieldayze up on the goldy about 4 years ago and, not to toot my own horn, i was ripped with good size. now im kinda…meh haha

at the moment im doing pilates in the morning with my missus in our lounge room then gym in the arvo. I convinced the missus to come also, i got like 10 7-day passes to the gym when i signed up so i gave them to her. she runs on the treadmill/rowing machine etc. and i pump weights and occasionally swim laps.

if i can consistantly keep up the training i should be well on my way to my first goal* in a month or so

*what that is i dont know yet, going to sit down tonight, take some measurements and work out what it is i want

I’m starting back at yoga next week. Looking forward to it as I’ve been feeling like a lazy bum lately.

Well done, NBG and Deano. Sounds like you’re both on the right track.

Yeah slowly but surely, I have cleaned up my diet a fair bit, for me thats 80% of the whole thing, when thats right it all works so much quicker.  Over the next month I’m going to go back to my old ways of eating 1kg of tuna throughout the day straight from the tin, washing it down with a protein shake and chicken breast and vegies for dinner.  It’s monotonous and not exactly a taste sensation but fark it gets results.

Well actually maybe not that hardcore again its so hard, probably stick to no carbs and fats together, carbs and protein in the morning then protein and vegies for the rest of the day with a couple of protein shakes.

yeh im in the process of cleaning the diet up. chicken and basmati rice with olive oil. mmm haha

at one point when i was training i was literally surviving on chicken, rice, tuna, protein shakes, l-luecine, creatine and the occasional steak.

started a new diet today.

took me about 2 hours in the kitchen last night to cook my meals for a few days haha

a whole lot of chicken/steak/tuna/broccoli/sweet potatoe/brown rice and some other supplements

going to be a fun 12 weeks…

on the bright side, sweet potatoe’s and broccoli arent as abd as i thought!

Hi Deano, getting back in to shape is hard work. If you think it’s hard in your 30’s try doing it on your late 40’s with bad knees. I mainly started to get fit so I could enjoy riding. My regimen has been:

50 minutes on a strider at home every second day (with Polar heart rate monitor)
30 minutes at gym (legs only) other days
90 minutes other training two nights a week

It’s tough fitting it all in with two young kids and work commitments. I have to say though I was in good shape for my last week down to the snow week of 8-12 August. Riding was heaps more fun than last year and traversing, which I avoided like the plague last year, wasn’t too bad. Biggest benefit was increased leg strength and flexibility all round…also losing 6 kilos helped a lot.

The thing I’m struggling with is a run of bad coughs - flu’s etc. The trouble is the kiddies bring them home from school etc and pass them on to dear old dad. I’ve had four days of work this week already and of course my training has stopped completely. Lucky for me my wife is fit and she hardly ever gets sick. Maybe its because she’s 10 years younger than me.

I’m feeling very old this week.

MU

haha sometimes its difficult but you gotta do what you got to do! oh and im not in my thirties yet, still 24 at this stage!

now that i work till 530 it kinds sucks going to the gym that late as i used to go at 3-3:30pm but what can you do…

but my one question would be why only legs?

it would be far more beneficial to work your entire body at the gym then just legs?

deanobruce - 21 August 2011 08:45 AM

haha sometimes its difficult but you gotta do what you got to do! oh and im not in my thirties yet, still 24 at this stage!

now that i work till 530 it kinds sucks going to the gym that late as i used to go at 3-3:30pm but what can you do…

but my one question would be why only legs?

it would be far more beneficial to work your entire body at the gym then just legs?

Ha 24 you is a whipper snapper.

I only have 30 minutes at lunch 3 times a week, so at the moment I’m concentrating on the legs. I pad a partial dislocation I’m working on and also I’ve noticed a big benefit from stretching before and after working calves, quads and hammy’s. You’re right I will definitely expand the workout to include some of the larger upper body muscle groups. Probably after the season is over and I’ll have a little more time.

MU