The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Getting lessons

Poll: Did you have lessons to learn to snowboard?
Total Votes: 35
Yes
No

Id always suggest to a beginner to get a first timer ticket.
Thredbo has them, its lift and a lesson for the same price. So you get the lesson free.
It just gives you a good starting point, and if im with someone who hasnt ridden before, it gives me a chance to go off and do some quick runs smile

EvanL - 03 August 2009 04:57 AM

Id always suggest to a beginner to get a first timer ticket.
Thredbo has them, its lift and a lesson for the same price. So you get the lesson free.
It just gives you a good starting point, and if im with someone who hasnt ridden before, it gives me a chance to go off and do some quick runs smile

I did this with my brother the first time I went. He got me a lift and lesson pass then just took me to new runs every couple of hours while he went somewhere else.

The results from this poll would be the complete opposite in the US.
Is it just a cultural difference? that Aussies would be more willing to take a lesson when doing something new rather than just going out and wrecking themselves learning?!

snowslider - 03 August 2009 03:32 PM

The results from this poll would be the complete opposite in the US.
Is it just a cultural difference? that Aussies would be more willing to take a lesson when doing something new rather than just going out and wrecking themselves learning?!

Maybe it’s relative to amount of mountains and snow or just general contacts who have snowboards when you start out.

A real painful experience for me, but no i did not get lessons.
I highly advise it because i’d bet that it would save the pain

Hmm reading this makes me think maybe I shouldn’t have shown my mate how to do it his first time up.  Not knowing how my own technique is going I might have taught him a few bad habits ha ha but the main thing is he was getting down the mountain and linking his turns pretty quickly!  I’m kinda thinking I might benefit from lessons soonish as I’m trying new things a bit now.  I did start with lessons in the beginning but that was over 10 years ago.  Went up for the first time in 10 years last year and strapped and waited to see what happened.  Didn’t remember a thing about what I was told in the lessons but my body remembered how it all worked like riding a bike I guess and it all came back to me pretty quick.

The first run of my season is always very daunting too.
Amazing how we can remember stuff like that after a year but when it comes to other things…..

I had snowschool when I first started, was the best thing I could have done, I progressed so much quicker than I would have otherwise. I generally have at least one lesson a season, usually more, it always helps especially after some time off and your a bit rusty, I suppose it helps that I’ve had some amazing instructors. I don’t think I’ll stop having lessons of at least some sort, another persons perspective is always so helpful in sorting out the bad habits you’ve gotten in to

Its very tempting to think that once you can turn and throw down a bit in the park that your pretty much done with lessons.  On one hand if your having fun and really enjoy figuring things out for yourself then maybe you’d be right.  On the other hand bare in mind that the people giving you lessons go to training a lot to be coached on their riding.  From my experience most peoples riding including fellow instructors (and of course myself!) has quite a bit of room for improvement.  And if park is your thing then its all about good technique and having someone look at you with an experienced eye is such a quicker way to learn then trying to work it out for yourself believe me i’ve tried!  Anyway sorry for ranting!