The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Limited number of days on the hill, how to improve?

That’s me, in a nutshell. I saw a precipitous drop in my number of days on the hill this past season, and am getting this less-than-satisfying feeling that I’m getting worse, instead of getting better, or even staying the same.

Technique going downhill, not willing / too tired to try new stuff, what am I to do?

Don’t get me wrong, I am not riding terribly by any means, just not getting better. And unfortunately, my budget, schedule, and location don’t allow me to get on the slopes every weekend, or much more often than I can.

Help!

ride smart dude.

to me theres all sorts of different mindsets to ride in… lazy, competative, playful, etc etc.. lazy means not hitting that extra side hit, competative means one upping your buddy no matter what the cost on it, playful meaning trying that new grab everytime with a smile

riding smart would be seriously thinking about your movements approaching that side hit, during your air, on your landing, then seriously considering how you performed those movements everytime. On the chair, instead of falling half asleep or having that extra conversation about the night last night, talk about each part of the run with your friends.

second part- your friends. i love riding with my friends, comradery is a big part of why i ride and a huge part of what makes it fun. howedver, nobody ever got better while they were teaching their friends all day. (well… not alot better anyway).  what i mean is ; ride with people better than you. and im not talking about your buddy who can spin that extra 1 off a jump, always one upping you. ride a couple of dasys with people WAY better than you, itll stoke you out and they can usually coach you.

anyway i have to go to work now, more on this later ,still have fun riding and only take it as serious as you want, but the more thought and effort you put into making your experience worthwhile, the more youll improve.

or just go take some lessons from a previously unemployed coach.. help us, we’re poor…

As we progress, there are times when our riding will plateau. It happens more often as we become better riders. I honestly believe this happens to everyone. Sometimes it takes something special, something to click, before we can reach that next level of riding. I have definately been there myself, and it can be very frustrating. This is the way I look at it…

Snowboarding should always be fun; that’s why we do it. If you reach a plateau, go back to something that makes riding fun. Work on previously acquired skills to make them even stronger. Ride switch all day, work on your carving, or even try something new and fun. Keep working on your skills, and when you least expect it… click! Something happens and everything you’ve been working on comes together perfectly.

If you really want to pust your progression… pick a particular skill and work on it hard. Really think about what you are doing. Think about how it works, think about what your body needs to do, think about how it should feel. Is there anything in particular you would like to work on? Tell us where you’re at with your riding and we will help you.

Great folow up posts, guys!
I agree with Jeremy, I think this happens to a lot of us, we plateau.
When learning we progress so quickly, that first time we leave th hill and dont feel that sense of satisfaction from not having learned 3 new things or more, er tend to get bummed. Dont let that get to you.
there is always more to try.
flat land all 4 180s (FS, BS and switch FS and BS)
dial in more switch turns.
play with pressuring different areas of the board in different parts of the turn… there’s always something experiment with.
Go riding with someone you know rides, but you’ve not rode with before.
Take a different line down the mountain.

We all start to slow down out progress.
Here’s an idea. If you’re out on the mountain befriend a learner and give them a tip or two, watch them progress their riding skills, it’s very rewarding - sharing something about this sport you’re so in love with.

it’s kind of like a relationship when you think about it.

its good to read all the posts on this one, i totally know what you guys are talking about.  I find that day to day i don’t know how i’m going to ride, some days its on, some days you just ride like a big pile of it.  still usually there is some reason, maybe the conditions have changed and you haven’t accounted for it…
Anyways over the last few seasons i’ve changed my approach to warming up and getting my day going.  I used to just go at it, and a lot of my friends still do this and it seems to work alright for them….but for me i’ve found that the first few runs of a day are important in setting the tone for the day.
The first run i take i try and do lots of turns, so terrain wise nothing too steep as its over too quick.  When i’m doing my turns i’m really thinking it through.  I’m thinking about pressuring the front of the board as i start the turn, really trying to use my ankle to develop some edge as the turn progresses and feeling my weight go onto both legs equally then slightly to the back leg as i finnish the turn.  The individual bits don’t matter, they’re just my personal choice of what to work on, the idea is the important bit, really focusing on what i’m doing, really trying to feel my board and how it reacts to the snow and of course getting a bit of blood flowing in my muscles.  To start the run i usually deny myself side hits and jib opportunities but after a while of really trying to work my board through my turns i just find myself having jibbed something almost by accident, when i’m warmed up its like my body is like come on aidy your ready now, lets jib….and of course its right!

Lots of good points here.. I think another very important point is your physical conditioning! If your only getting a few days on the hill throughout the season your level of progression you expect may be out of reach if you dont prepare physically. I say its best to be strong from head to toe cause every bit of strength and balance will help you reach that next level of riding. Also it helps alot with the fear of falling when your feeling jacked and tanned. Nothing can stop you!

Some great comments and insights here!!

Im also in the boat of not getting many days a year (5-7). Im still not that crash hot but get down blue runs all day with usually only a couple of stacks. One thing Im always thinking about and wanting to improve is the technique and smoothness of my turns, particularly my heels which I see as my weakness. I tend to use my heel turns to slow myself more, theres often more snowplowing than carving and I cant help but lean forward from the waist up to get the balance right for the turn. If I try to keep my back more upright and maybe even bend my knees more my balance is out and I will slide out and land on my arse. In contrast my toeside turns feel more relaxed and easier. I notice a lot of riders have this same style but I dont reckon it looks that great. Any one else notice themselves doing this or any suggestions?? Cheers

Dan83 - 30 June 2009 02:14 AM

Some great comments and insights here!!

Im also in the boat of not getting many days a year (5-7). Im still not that crash hot but get down blue runs all day with usually only a couple of stacks. One thing Im always thinking about and wanting to improve is the technique and smoothness of my turns, particularly my heels which I see as my weakness. I tend to use my heel turns to slow myself more, theres often more snowplowing than carving and I cant help but lean forward from the waist up to get the balance right for the turn. If I try to keep my back more upright and maybe even bend my knees more my balance is out and I will slide out and land on my arse. In contrast my toeside turns feel more relaxed and easier. I notice a lot of riders have this same style but I dont reckon it looks that great. Any one else notice themselves doing this or any suggestions?? Cheers

Dan, You’re off to a good start by recognizing what you are doing, and being about to put it into words.
The interesting thing is that many who want to improve, dont know what they are doing, and are too proud to admit that they may be able to improve the skill level of their turns. First point GOOD JOB!

There’s not a problem with using one edge more than another to slow your speed down, but since you notice yourself doing it, switch it up. of course when you need to slow down fast, you’ll do what is most comfortable (heel edge( but when just riding comfortably, work that toe edge.
Do you feel the same when riding switch? that it is your heel edge which is more comfortable, or does it them become your toe edge?
I suggest this, because if your heel edge is still the most comfortable to turn to when riding switch, then it is simply that - you like the heel edge. but if your toe edge is easier and more comfortable when switch… then possibly this all has to do with upper body alignment. see turning to your toes from switch, is the same spinning direction as turning to your heels from your normal stance. so if your toe edge is more comfortable to turn to when riding switch, then the problem isnt so much an edge issue, but it becomes a rotation issue. I would assume you may ride pre-rotated in that direction.
Just a thought.

Also think about this when riding.
how do your knees bend when you make a turn?
Think about it in your heel edge turns, as most bend the knees more when turning heel side, because you can sit down in the turn a bit.
Do your knees bend and your body sink into the turn, or do your knees straighten and you extend your legs into the turn… try out both ways and see what feels more comfortable. Does it feel different or change at higher speeds vs lower speeds?

How about how much your body leans over when you turn? This can be referred to how dynamic your turn is? it may seem easier to learn over more when going at a higher speed, but if you are progressing from a skidded turn into a carved turn this lean may be advantageous. the lean is contributing to a higher edge angle on the snow, and tilting your board more… are there other ways that your body can move to increase the edge angle of the board on the snow rather than leaning so far over?
yes.
ride ride ride and take some of these things into thought when riding..
Let us know when you get to try them out, we’d love to hear some feedback!

)

Lots of good advice on this thread. I will try and add my perspective as a more holistic approach. From the Snowboard Addiction program that I’ve developed over the years, the most overlooked part of rider progression is the mental aspect. Like mentioned in a few posts above, it is CRITICAL to improve your riding by understanding exactly what your body is doing when you are riding and specifically when you are trying something new. To approach your riding this way can itself push you through some of those blocks and plateaus that you encounter along the way. This is super important for those of you who only get out a few days on the hill, because you can spend heaps of time mentally preparing while not riding and that way make the most of each session on the mountain and have a blast every time not worrying about ‘what is my body doing?’

The trick is visualization and preparation. When you picture yourself doing some trick or just riding freestyle, think about your body position, your back straight, your knees bent, your head in the direction of travel, etc. Actually imagine your body outside of yourself and what it looks like. When you do this, your mind begins to make the connection between what your body is doing and what your mind wants it to do. This is the ‘secret’ to riding with correct body position and with time will take you to a place where as soon as you think of your body in a certain position, your body makes it happen instantaneously! Trust me you will be surprised that your progression will explode once you achieve this and it applies to every rider at any stage.

Thanks Snowslider and Nev for your comments (and Nev I have your freestyle program, which is wicked!!)

Snowslider, many interesting comments. I will be going to NZ in 4 weeks so will definitely get to play around with some different things. Regarding riding switch, I can’t remember whether I have a preffered turn, probably as I don’t ride it much. I will check it out next time I ride. But I do know when initiating the heel turn (riding regular) my shoulders and arms tend to lead which is then followed by my back leg and my upper body will tend to lean over the board. I find when I’m going slow its not really necessary to lean over with my upper body for a heel turn, however the faster I am going and the more force I turn with, the more I need to lean over the board for balance. One thing I thought is maybe I need to bend my knees more and apply more weight to my front leg. However when trying this I do not feel as stable, as if my centre of balance is not over the board (hence slipping out) and my upper body naturally wants to lean over to provide the balance. This is probably not helped with my leading knee being a bit weak. As I mentioned, on my toes my turn feels more natural and my knees bend better i.e. they a more flexible, not as rigid, which helps if going over a bump to absorb the impact. I will try and work on the two different methods you mentioned for turning, particularly for heel turns. In a general sense is it bad to lean over the board with your upper body, as I said a lot of people seem to do it. It’s just that when you see someone hammering down the hill with style their upper body posture appears much straighter and it looks more natural.

Thnaks for you advice.

You can try something like Wakeboarding or Skateboarding, Even longboarding (may be better) to help keep you balance until you hit the snow again.

Its also good for your fitness, and the “Spin” tricks are somewhat the same sort of techniques etc. Its not exactly like snowboarding but it does help. Thats just how I keep fit and maintain my balance during the summer untill winter hits.

But one of the biggest factors in fast improvement is definitely getting some sort of lessons while you can on the hill. You will find you progress much faster.

So many things that are shared in this topic intermingle with the things said in the topic about visualization.

So many ways to learn more about snowboarding when you are not actively on the snow snowboarding. Be sure to read that topic as well, when thinking about way sto progress even though you may have little time on the snow.

Carpet boarding rocks… just strapping in on the carpet at home and feeling your equipment, tweaking your binding angles or adjusting your bindings different ways, lacing your boots looser or tighter. preparing for the big day when you do get out on the snow…

...and dont be afraid to admit that when at home you tried on all your gear from first layer to goggles and helmet and strapped in at home. rocked around on the edges and tips, tested the flex of the board even hopped a 180 or 360 and tried a tail block grab or two.
We all have.
I’ve even jibbed the coffee table a couple times, and at one friend’s house we took it down about 5-6 stairs into the living room!
(We eventually broke the closet door off it’s hinges, but we had a great time!)