The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

help me for my japan trip please

There are a lot of problems with shopping at Sierra. I only hear negative things.
I think wht bothers most is that they have no commitment to snowboarding. Most would rather pay more and support a local shop, or a resort even… so you know the profit that they make on your purchase is directed back into the sport.
Much like supporting Nike.. why do it?

If you like the product, and you feel that you get a superior product, fine, btu when there are alternatives that are the same if not better, then support someone that gives back.

Because:

boardaddict504 - 24 August 2009 04:11 AM

either way, whatever gear i end up with, im sure ill have heaps of fun, and its not really about the gear but the people and the snow.
cheers

Super Dad - 28 August 2009 03:30 PM

because they tell you to just do it. Well seriously, i’ve had 2 friends use sierra, one is very happy, the other is like “meh” and actually said he should’ve gone down to the store and bought his stuff there.

golfpunklegend - 28 August 2009 04:18 PM

because they tell you to just do it. Well seriously, i’ve had 2 friends use sierra, one is very happy, the other is like “meh” and actually said he should’ve gone down to the store and bought his stuff there.

Cheap or not, I’d rather go to a local shop and support them.
I’d rather buy on ebay if I only wanted something cheap.

boardaddict504 - 28 August 2009 04:05 AM

im going to niseko. not sure which lodge yet. i’ve heard Hakuba Valley is better but i think i need the tourist benefits of niseko just for ease of travel. i’ve decided to get some quality boots and goggles in aus - so there’s a solid $400-450 going back into the aussie market for you rider26. but its too expensive to buy all my gear from aus - i have done a lot of searching! ill either rent here or buy from the US. i would just rent but i want to get the maximum benefits of the lush, un-slush jap powder.

orrrr

alternately ill wait till right before i go and look for some second hand good condish boards

my dad just got back from skiing in NZ and from the pictures i think that will be a destination for next season for sure - the hills are huge!

are you going through sapporo or tokyo at all? i mean like for a stopover? we saw heaps of shops with mad deals in tokyo and sapporo on both our trips….a new burton custom with cartel bindings was around 600aud…so you could try to pick up a bargain over there!

Banger - 28 August 2009 08:11 PM

are you going through sapporo or tokyo at all? i mean like for a stopover? we saw heaps of shops with mad deals in tokyo and sapporo on both our trips….a new burton custom with cartel bindings was around 600aud…so you could try to pick up a bargain over there!

I assume you don’t mean the season just gone (08/09). The AUD was pretty weak against the YEN ($1 to 55-60 YEN).......

snowslider is….Super Dad - 28 August 2009 07:26 PM
golfpunklegend - 28 August 2009 04:18 PM

Cheap or not, I’d rather go to a local shop and support them.
I’d rather buy on ebay if I only wanted something cheap.

Its also that if you buy it online i.e. ebay, the boots you buy may not fit although it is that size you are after. and also, no returns on your goods.

I personally bought my snowboard and bindings from Sierra..
I was very happy with their customer service and I saved $800 on my board and bindings - getting it all for a total $550 AUD including shipping..
Ride Nrc bindings retail for $550 here :S

If you’re on a tight budget, I’d recommend Sierra. I’m not sure which brands they can’t send, because some of the brands they have listed they are actually able to send, just ask them. I had a Ride board and Ride bindings shipped, even though they say they can’t..

At the end of the day, I’ve probably spent twice that amount at my local board store… Boots and other peripheries are worth buying here as you want the fit pretty close.

im definately buying boots in aus. you just cant go the internet option with them

in terms of board and bindings i would rather buy in aus if it meets my price point.

the catch is, that if i am already going to spend $800 on board, boots and bindings i want to get the best possible deal for the price.

that way im supporting the aus industry through boots at least. ill try to find some local shops in Japan for deals

coming from riding BMX i understand big companies like Danscomp who leech off the industry - it always happens. but it all comes down to what you can get for your buck.

like i said - i will buy aus if i can get what i want for the price.

As much as id like to support the Australian ‘snowboard’ industy ..like burton,ride and all those ‘Australian’ brands
why would i do that when i have to pay double? I dont believe that they have to sell for that much more then the yankes to make a profit. and to really suppot the Australian industy wouldnt i have to buy Australian brands?
no ones given me a convincing argument yet, but im all ears….....

Im with you Crackers. Im 17, so my income isnt really up there with the big boys so im not going to try and convince you otherwise. However, i believe that australian brands arent really making you pay double. They are surviving because of their ability to provide quality and to some extent, value as well.

Please correct me if im wrong but the supply-demand rule applies and because Australia’s snow industry is not by any chance rivalling in size compared to that of America’s, it is very hard to provide consumers the lower prices that the yank’s get.

In order to support the Aus. industry, as you have said, you would have to buy australian brands. When i shop for my stuff, i dont just think about which australian brands sell it, i look at the bigger picture and when it comes to decision making, being an australian brand does help me make my decision but is not greatly influential on it. This means i dont buy a pair of 100 dollar gloves made by an aus. firm even if i know its gonna die off in a day.

You know another thing that is cool about local shops that these ‘discount stores’ cant and wont do….
Let you make small payments on your new gear, and hold your item until it is paid off, then it is all yours.
A great way to even begin saving for an upcoming season… agree with the shop on the item you want and make payments every month or so and get receipts every time to keep up with how much you drop off, and eventually you pay it off and BAM done! you got a nice set up and diddnt have to drop a huge amount of $ all at once.

The stores are such an important part of the Australian snow industry. It’s not just the Australian brands, but the Australian stores as well. Just remember it’s not the stores that set the prices, and they usually do whatever they can to sell them to customers at the best prices possible. I understand that sometimes products can be found for cheaper online, and it’s not an easy problem to solve. I think some brands need to make a stronger effort to get the prices down in Oz. Stores in Australia pride themselves on customer service and ongoing relationships with customers. Many brands now bring their products into Australia before the Northern Hemisphere. Hopefully this trend continues. I understand both sides of the story, but I always encourage people to buy local, and that’s my opinion. Just weigh up all the facts and make the best decision for yourself.