The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Camber or Rocker

Hey Guys,

i just had a look at the new Burton site.. and absolutely loved it
so the question here is…. are you a Rocker or a Camber???

lol ill stick with Camber

Personally I agree with Burton. The reason they are doing the whole rocker vs camber thing is because they don’t want to pigeon hole themselves into one or the other. Both camber and rocker have their merits. I have now tested many different rocker / reverse camber boards. No doubt they have advantages over camer for certain things. The first thing you will notice about rocker boards is how easy they are to turn. They turn so quickly! The board is very loose between the feet which is great for freestyle. For presses, butters, spins, rails, and also powder… the boards are so easy and fun to play around on. In certain condidtions I thoroughly enjoy them.

However the freerider in me prefers camber for most riding. I like to ride fast and aggressively (most the time). For freeriding I will take a camber board over rocker. Camber gives you more pop, not only for ollies/jumps, but pop out of turns. Camber allows you to ride more aggressively and hold a harder edge.

I love this discussion though… I’m interested to hear more opinions.

I thought rocker would be more for park riding would it?

Yeah you would see it being used more for park and jibbing, although they work very well in powder also. Generally speaking they work very well for freestyle.

My Banana 156 -
turns suuuper quick
doesnt catch on boxes and rails
holds edge just as good as a reg. camber in my opinion due to magna trac.
butters like a dream but still pops… what i mean is,  feel as though i can press into lips of jumps and still snap my spin off the lip.. .love it.

the reg. camber boards ive ridden, no matter how soft, stiff, what have you, have never felt like im skating on snow WITH edge hold. magna + banana gives you that.

Shredlife - 20 August 2009 08:41 AM

My Banana 156 -
turns suuuper quick
doesnt catch on boxes and rails
holds edge just as good as a reg. camber in my opinion due to magna trac.
butters like a dream but still pops… what i mean is,  feel as though i can press into lips of jumps and still snap my spin off the lip.. .love it.

the reg. camber boards ive ridden, no matter how soft, stiff, what have you, have never felt like im skating on snow WITH edge hold. magna + banana gives you that.

when are you going to ask that thing out?
you’re so good at describing your ride that could allmost advertise for skate bananas