The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Building Kickers

As the title suggests, how do you guys go about doing this?  I have tried few times and it always ended up being a really hard slog with less than perfect results.  I’m not trying to build a TRice style mega gap but I would like a better idea on how to get it right.  So far I have only ever built really small shitty things about 1/2 a metre wide and about the same height.  Had a bit of search on the net and didn’t come up with much.

One thing I have noticed in vids is that the pro’s seem to make snow bricks and pile them up, anyone got any foolproof ways of making something that doesn’t get smaller with every jump?  When I go to NZ this year I want to have a bit of a hike and build something around 4ft wide and about the same height.

I’m not great at building booters but this is what I’ve learnt from others…

Take a long knife or saw, so you can cut blocks of snow. Even better, some backcountry shovels come with built-in saws in the handle (i.e. saw pulls out of the shovel cylinder). Being able to cut blocks of snow makes a big difference!

For best results you want to leave the booter overnight to harden. This way you’re not spending all your energy building the booter before hitting it anyway. Doesn’t hurt to sprinkle salt over it either (causes a bit of melt then freezes hard over night). You can then re-shape and groom the next morning to get it 100% ready.

Honestly, that’s about all I’ve got for you, but hopefully it helps.

Don’t forget to take photos!  cool smirk

Also when ya watch the Booter bein built, they fill the gaps around the blocks with snow, after each “layer”, kinda like mortar in between the bricks!!!!

And they pack/smooth down each layer along the way as well!!!!!

the hardest part is coming back hoping its still there in one piece