The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! - Board Size Help

I have chose my next board - The Lib Tech TRS!!!!! (Note that I am in no way a Total Ripper)

So here’s my dilemma!!!!!

Is it to be the 159 or the 162????

I am 88KG’s 182CM’s and stick my hoofs into a Vans BFB US10 Boot!!!! Then bolt them to Large Stiff FLUX Super Diamond Bindings

I can’t ride switch for shit, hence me chosin the TRS so as to progress my downfall!!!!! Along with the fact that I like to ride the groomers as well!!!!

I currently ride a DC HKD 160 and its STIFF, Directional, and Cambered!!!!!

Note that I do like the stiffness of the HKD hence the reason behind me chosin it in the first place, and that is why I am undecided with the size choice in the TRS 159 (6 Stiffness) 162 (7 Stiffness)!!!!

I know it’s not a great difference, but will the extra Stiffness hinder the switch progression????

Rockered boards are meant to be ridden shorter than Cambered right???? Reasons????

I do like All Mountain but wish to give the park a little hit every now and then!!!!

I also wish to return to Japan and it’s amazin POW!!!!

So give me ya reasons for and against the two sizes!!!! Tell me like it is!!!!

id go with the 159.  currently have a 159 gnu carbon(which has been replaced with a 156 yes typo which i am yet to use)  and i am about 175cms and 80kg’s and it rides perfect, i, like you, cant ride switch for shit which is my fault cause i rarely try, mostly do BC, groomers,tree runs with the fairly occasional hitout in the park. i rode a mates 162 one day and gave it back to him after 2 runs, felt like a boat to me! BUT that would also have to do with the design of his board, not just the length.

i cant recall where i have seen it but yeh from the information i have seen rockered boards can be ridden shorter that what you would usually use without any noticeable performance loss. if you want to hit park every now and then the 159 would be a better choice(in my opnion, other ppl may not think so)

i have had mates hit up japan and one is around your size and rode a 158-ish rome something and said it handled the pow awesome as well as groomed runs/park.

thats all the bullshit i could come up in support of the 159! enjoy

Not BS at all deano!!!!! This is the sort of feedback that I am after!!!!!

I’m not the best guy at giving advice since I don’t have a ton of experience; but in my opinion at your weight I think you should go with the 162, especially since you’re not doing much park. I also don’t believe that rockered board should ridden shorter because the effective edge is already shorter. I think the whole ride rocker board shorter is for pow, in that you can ride a shorter board while still having the float of a longer cambered board (so in turn better maneuverability in trees, etc.). Btw, you should try the T.Rice, it’s a super awesome board smile haha.

I think the 162 would be best for you. Either one would be alright if you’re the type to stick with a board and learn to get used to it. You could ride a 156 in pow and if you were used to it you’d be fine, right?
When I first jumped on C2 coming from a stiff cambered board (custom x) I felt like the only place I noticed the rocker was in pow and on cattracks. I rode a 161.5 T.rice and it felt short. I think all boards with some sort of rocker in them ride short since they have a shorter effective edge. So basically, since you’re on a 160 stiff camber board and liking it, going to a 162 c2 would be perfect.
Unless you get a heavily tapered board like a fish, learning to ride switch is sort of a moot point when choosing a board. If you’re hitting the park and doing loads of switch riding then get a twin…wait, is the trs a twin? it says twin geometries. You don’t actually NEED a twin though.
Actually, looking at the board specs, I see it has a TNT base..<cough, cough> extruded <cough,cough>
This is something that I personally consider as total BS. Lib is the only company putting cheaper extruded bases on their top of the line boards and still charging top of the line prices.
Note: the extruded base is still fast but in my experience didn’t take impacts with unyielding objects very well

Hmmmm!!!!!

I didn’t even realize that the base was extruded!!!!! I just took it for granted that bein a top of the line stick that it would have had a sintered base!!!!

That’s thrown a spanner into the works!!!!!

Maybe stockstandard can give us the reasons why Lib has done this????

I’m fairly sure the 2012 model has a sintered base. I have emailed stockstandard to find out for sure.

Rockered boards are meant to be ridden shorter than Cambered right???? Reasons????

Rockered boards aren’t necessarily meant to be ridden shorter in the context you’re talking about. They ‘ride’ shorter, meaning a rockered 162 board feels/rides smaller than a 162 cambered board. They feel shorter because the rocker profile makes the board ‘looser’ or easier to turn. The only time you can really downsize because of rocker is if you’re using it as a powder board.

In regards to size, you could go either way. Important question: are you keeping the DC board in your quiver?

that makes alot more sense than the shit i was reading about being able to ride them shorter…

good explanation Rider

So technically ya can ride a longer board with Rocker, than ya would normally ride in a Cambered???? Is this the same case with the C2????

Yeah, I’m keepin the DC!!!!

I am lookin at a well priced 2011 TRS as well!!!!! Aussie Dealer!!!!!

I am 179cm and 85kg and I ride a 154 flat-kick Capita board fine in powder… Just shows what you are used 2.

My 155 Rockered Forum Scallywag does ride a lot shorter though due to the RC and feels more like a 150-152 cambered board.

I jumped on a 157 Jamie Lyn before and it felt like a boat to me even though it is more standard to my size.

Unless maybe the rocker board is a Burton Nug, then I think you should stick with your regular size. I think C2 has a longer effective edge than a normal banana or a CamRock style rocker if you look at the spec sheet.

I’m the same as TJ
I’m 179cm, 84kg and riding a 157 2010 Jamie Lynn

Same stiffness as the TRS (I think..at least the 2010 model…) and it rides fine on the groomers and in some of the softer bits in Victoria..
Stiffness gives you plenty of pop off the kickers too (well.. that’s what my mate said before I stacked the landing raspberry)

Just an update on the bases…

The TNT base on the 2011 model is extruded with additives. From what stockstandard has told me from testing and also what I’ve read on other reviews on the internet, the TNT base is hard and fast. Apparently one of the fastest bases on the market without wax.

We still need confirmation on the 2012 model but we believe it has a sintered base. stockstandard is seeing the 2012 boards in person tomorrow and he will let us know for sure.

Mizu Kuma - 04 May 2011 02:35 AM

So technically ya can ride a longer board with Rocker, than ya would normally ride in a Cambered???? Is this the same case with the C2????

Yeah, I’m keepin the DC!!!!

I am lookin at a well priced 2011 TRS as well!!!!! Aussie Dealer!!!!!

Technically, yes. It’s not so much that you should ride a bigger board because it’s rockered, but a bigger rockered board will ride/feel like a smaller cambered board in regards to maneuverability.

Yes, this would apply to the C2 camber profile too. Anything with rocker between the feet will make the board more maneuverable and easier to turn.

Given you are keeping your stiff cambered 160, I would personally lean towards getting the 159. To be honest I initially thought the 162 would be the better all round option, but the 159 will give you something different to your DC board, and that’s what you want when building a quiver. The 159 will be noticeably more playful and easier to ride (making switch easier) than your DC board. It will also give you more confidence in the park when learning new skills. It is still going to work very well in the powder. If you need more float, just set your stance back an inch or two and you’ll be surfing the powder.

I hope that helps you make a decision somewhat.  cool smile

I’m not as up to date on the latest board tech as many people on this thread but I have been ridden quite a lot of different boards of varying lengths.  My general view is; if in doubt go shorter.  Reasons: It’s more fun, allows more dynamic riding and is generally good for improving your riding.  Rocker boards are sweet for jibbing and jibbing is sweet so why not go for the 159 and get more into jibbing too.  N.B. jibbing doesn’t equal park, for me it means making the most out of all the little features the hill has to offer.  Anyways just my coupla cents…