The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Need some advice on buying a digital camera. Please help.

AJ91 - 22 June 2009 10:33 AM

I ended up getting a Pentax Optio P70…Check it out http://www.pentax.com.au/pentax/index.cfm?pageID=2&modelID=62&

Thanks for all your help!!!

i like the look of that camera….how much was it?

How’s that camera working for you?  If you’re just out to grab some fun decent looking footage, you don’t necessarily want to be weighed down worried about all sorts of expensive gear.  It’s pretty amazing what they have put into pocket sized cameras.  If you’re not in need of a massive zoom and just want to be able to record some decent looking footage as well as taking pictures, then it looks like you made a good choice. A model to keep an eye on is the Olympus EP-1.  It’s an incredible little machine. 

http://www.creativepro.com/article/still-camera-hd-video-stereo-audio-olympus-e-p1

Digital slr quality, hd video, interchangeable lenses, and it’s tiny!  If you’re looking to take some serious riding pics, with a camera you can expand on, and can ride with in your pocket, save for this guy!

It cost me $295 from JBHIFI. I thought it was a bargain at that price.
Cheers,

I can’t believe the number of people in here recommending Olympus. IME they are junk for any kind of action shooting. The only good thing that I can say about them is that they have decent macro settings, not something that you use very often snowboarding. Sure the shockproof and waterproof looks enticing, but it won’t capture the moment you press the button. (neither will most compact cameras, but most are faster than the Olympus’)

If you don’t want spend the money and get a DSLR (and haul it round in a bag all day) I think you need something with a good lens, fast start up and decent sensor.

A 12mp camera might be nice to have, but in reality, how big do you really need your photo to be? I would focus first on the things I mentioned above, and then look at the size of the sensor.

The best snowboarding camera I have had has just recently been retired after tripping around the world from -40deg in Canada to 40+ in Africa. 5mp, no moving parts to freeze or get stuck in the cold, fast on-to-shoot, multishot (good for stitching) Carl Zeiss lens. I am really goin to miss my Sony T3.

foxpuppet - 18 June 2009 09:53 PM

what kind of plympus was it?

Shockproof waterproof. i started with the sw725 and was given sw1050 on warranty, then that filled with water first time i put it under

cmat - 18 June 2009 01:30 PM

i guess this is similar topic but what is best option for an entry level DSLR? ive been told nikon do a good entry level dslr but yeah just wondering if anyone has any advice….i havent owned a dslr camera before and wanted to ‘step up’

With Nikon youd probably be looking at something like the Nikon D60
In Canon 1000D (entry model) or the 450D (one step up)
Actually i think the 450D has just been superseeded by the 500D.
You might be able to get a good deal on a 450D then. I think the main difference is the 500 has a few more megapixles and can record clips also.

I bought the 450D a few months back with the twin lens kit. It might be worthwhile to get the IS lens kit. Thats what i did, i think they sell both as a package. (IS or non IS)
IS stands for image stabiliser, i can notice the difference when it is turned on and off, you get a lot more shake through the lens when its off. Just gives you a better chance at clearer pictures.
You can see a couple of my pics of my brother and i going through the Thredbo park in the photo competition forum. Those were taken with the Canon 450D.

EDIT: Duh, i see now you’ve already bought a new camera. Oh well, i’ll leave my post up for anyone else whos looking at new cameras

AJ91 - 17 June 2009 03:08 AM

Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a new digial camera between the price range AUD$300-400. Do you have any suggestions on what brand/version I should get, as I wouldn’t have a clue what is good or not.

Regards,
AJ91.

I took my brothers Canon Powershot SX110 to Japan at the start of the year.
I can really recommend it.

Great pics and lots of settings to play with if you want to.
I think its about $350 so within your price rance.
Not as compact as some others, i think thats due to the 10x optical zoom. But the zoom always comes in handy.
Here are some pics i took with it in Japan.

Yeah I’m still looking around for a camera to purchase around August time, any new models coming out then?

Need a decent camera that works well in the snow and cold conditions, waterproof to I’m thinking for my trip to New Zealand at that time.

i bought the panasonic ft1.. which is the waterproof shockproof one.. 12mp 4.6 opt zoom.. leica lens.. and HD movie recording
ill be trying it out from the 19th ill post pix up afta my trip to perisher

i’m keen to see the results from that camera….it has some pretty great features.

Banger - 10 July 2009 10:25 AM

i’m keen to see the results from that camera….it has some pretty great features.

same, i would like to know how it goes on a overcast day on the hill…
the video mode is hd, it looks pretty sweet

I have a Panasonic FT1. I was using it today in the fog. Im happy with the shots im getting with it. Its no DSLR but being waterproof its great for up here. The video is not too bad, actually its pretty good considering the size of the camera. If you want me to post up some pics & vid i can do it at the end of the week, over adsl limit right now shaped to crap!

these pix are taken with panasonic ft1 full res..whilst in a moving car… what you guys think ?

and a non snow pic lol >.<