The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Daily snow video’s

As part of promoting my web site and hire business I get on the mountain early and video the conditions.

Because I’m boarding each day you’ll also notice a progression in my confidence and ability.

I invite comments and suggestions on:

My boarding
Camera position
Footage
Editing
Places you want me to go/do
or whatever..

Lets get some interaction happening so that you have a say in how the video’s looks etc..

You can check out the daily videos here: http://www.snocam.com.au

We will also be featuring the videos in the Snow and Weather section of the website.

This is a really good free service spaz is providing, and personally I’m stoked about it. No more biased reports, or snowcams that show no detail.

spaz, I really like how you are mounting the cam for snowboarding. I did also like how you were picking up the snow and showing it in previous videos. Anything you can do to show what the snow is really like is beneficial. I think the camera position is really good, I would maybe experiment with it mounted slightly higher to give a better angle of looking down on the snow (this is purely from a snow conditions perspective).

Nice 180 at the bottom smile

Check todays,
I’ve started mounting a second cam on the back of my hand, I can shoot down at the board as I ride to show how the snow is reacting to the edge. Almost exactly as you describe. I tried it with the bootCam but missed to much scenery, it’s such a cool angle especially when other sliders are in shot, and any air has a sweet silence.

I don’t know what distracted me from picking up the snow it must be the lack of fresh pow to finger.

I’ve started taking depth readings around the resort, when I have larger variations I’ll get some averages - so far I can’t get anywhere near the 52cm @ Spencers Creek.

Are you talking about ‘Glove Cam’ from today?

Did I see you on the out of bounds catrack from the bottom of Merrits to High Noon? Haha

yeah, GloveCam and no out of bounds yet, there is too little open and too few people about, I’d be spotted for sure and don’t want to be a target for the patrollers with the whole season ahead.

Plus I hit enough stones today on the groomed, I would have to be on my rock hopper to venture any further until it snows again. My tape measure says there’s only 16 cm of natural up high, that catrack has a lot of skidoo’s ripping it to pieces, there would be plenty of gravel exposed. It is a nice under the ropes/in the resort track but patroll will almost definatly take my pass for doing it, they’d know I wasn’t lost or there by accident it’s not like Stanley’s where they’re happy to patrol.

Which cat track are you on when the sled is behind you? Looked like the ‘sled only’ track from the bottom of Merrits. I guess I was wrong… it was the sled behind you that got me.

I like Glove Cam. It kind of loses the stability of the boot cam, but the angle was good. Depth readings and picking up the snow so we can see the quality is a good idea. Even bad snow can look ok on camera when it is freshly groomed in the morning.

It’s The Traverse - Squatters Run (Merritts) to Gunbarrel top, the track you mostly have to skate but before the snow gets soft you can go into it fast and make it to the lift, thin cover though I’ve got a repair to do, not too deep but 30cm long!

I may not get a vid done today my gilfriend is really sick and I might have to take her to Cooma Hospital.

spaz - 18 June 2009 12:57 AM

I may not get a vid done today my gilfriend is really sick and I might have to take her to Cooma Hospital.

Oh no I hope she will be ok

Best wishes for your girl Spaz..

She’s up and able to refill her own drink bottle now, seems we won’t need to go to Cooma. But the rugrat will hang with me the rest of the day.

Thanks for the concern.

That’s good to hear spaz. I hope she recovers quickly. Best wishes!

Generally speaking, how are the current condition?

spaz - 18 June 2009 02:54 AM

She’s up and able to refill her own drink bottle now, seems we won’t need to go to Cooma. But the rugrat will hang with me the rest of the day.

Thanks for the concern.

Glad to hear she’s feeling better and doesn’t need to go to the hospital, no one ever wants to go unless it’s necessary.

Wow, I actually got my vid up on my site before midday today which is even more impressive because I spent longer on the hill this morning.

I really like the video from today spaz. I think I’ve decided boot cam works really well. It’s even more effective with someone riding infront of you (I realise you can’t do that every day). The conditions around Merrits looks pretty decent. Good to see you getting in some switch turns. We should definately catch up for a morning shred when I get to Thredbo.

You know we will!

I’m still waiting for my snow legs to kick in, I’m used to riding till lunch time non stop, (except for a schnapps) this whole doing a run or 2 is torture - no leg burn, I’m doing warm up runs every day! Tomorrow ST opens from SlowGums.

Today was the first time there was anyone waiting for the lift to open and the first time to ride with someone other than my 5yo. I do like the BoardCam it will probably be a perminant feature, I only did 2 runs with Stu so wasn’t 100% on his riding, you can be so close with that lens - like on top of each other.

spaz - 19 June 2009 11:21 AM

You know we will!

I’m still waiting for my snow legs to kick in, I’m used to riding till lunch time non stop, (except for a schnapps) this whole doing a run or 2 is torture - no leg burn, I’m doing warm up runs every day! Tomorrow ST opens from SlowGums.

Today was the first time there was anyone waiting for the lift to open and the first time to ride with someone other than my 5yo. I do like the BoardCam it will probably be a perminant feature, I only did 2 runs with Stu so wasn’t 100% on his riding, you can be so close with that lens - like on top of each other.

spaz that footage was sick!!! loved that perspective…and the closeness of the riding.
so that the vio 1.5 in action right? with which mount? is that you tube as good as the real quality, im guessing the real thing is better, in which case i am SO getting one of these off you.
keep up the footy…it’s wetting my appetite for sure.