The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Need some advice on buying a digital camera. Please help.

Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a new digial camera between the price range AUD$300-400. Do you have any suggestions on what brand/version I should get, as I wouldn’t have a clue what is good or not.

Regards,
AJ91.

There;s actually a new room for photo and filming type questions…
Perhaps a MOD for this room can move the topic to another location for you.
It’s good to see this being a topic of conversation.

As for your question, sorry I got no idea.
I am sure someone will.

spaz - is this your area of expertise?

I bought the 10 metre waterproof and shockproof Olympus camera. The model is u1030SW (they may have a better one out now). They also make a cheaper 3 metre version. I can honestly say I have been very happy with this camera. I can use if in the surf, on the snow, throw it around etc… They are 2 metres drop-proof so very durable. They take good photos, and also have a paroramic mode which s really cool. I think it would retail around the $400 mark now. Definately one to look at.

Yeah it is. The one I have is only 10 mp.

rider26 - 17 June 2009 03:26 AM

I bought the 10 metre waterproof and shockproof Olympus camera. The model is u1030SW (they may have a better one out now). They also make a cheaper 3 metre version. I can honestly say I have been very happy with this camera. I can use if in the surf, on the snow, throw it around etc… They are 2 metres drop-proof so very durable. They take good photos, and also have a paroramic mode which s really cool. I think it would retail around the $400 mark now. Definately one to look at.

I 2nd the purchase of this camera- brought if for the gf for christmas and it is great- we take it surfing and wakeboarding, haven’t tried it in the snow yet.  It also works well just for taking regular non extreme pics haha.

AJ91 - 17 June 2009 03:08 AM

Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a new digial camera between the price range AUD$300-400. Do you have any suggestions on what brand/version I should get, as I wouldn’t have a clue what is good or not.

Regards,
AJ91.

it depends what you want it for and the abilities of the camera…but the olympus is not a bad choice especially for snow sports. however there is also a new panasonic lumix that is water/shock/dust proof and the video is like 720p HD not sure of price.
my folks have the same version Olympus as rider26 and they loved it. Only downsides i see to the olympus cameras is a non standard cable to usb connection and only olympus memory cards work/fit in them.

personally i have a ricoh R-7 P&S with 28-200 zoom and 1cm macro. it’s pretty rad but not as durable i have broken 2 now (really not for snow sports or shuttle buses) lacks total manual control of the ricoh g series cameras but still has a lot of modes to get you by.

other than that i use a fuji s2 DSLR…but it’s a little big for carrying around all the time.

macro with r-7

Harajuku district with r-7

Cool photos man. I really like the 2nd photo.

cabseven - 17 June 2009 08:28 AM

Cool photos man. I really like the 2nd photo.

thanks…the house of sausage’s on cat street is a great establishment

How much is the Fuji S2 I’m sure it’s above $400.
Do canon still make the 1XUS, I’ve heard many good things about that camera.

Personally we have 2 Olympus P&S camera’s, because I wont let +1 touch my Nikon DSLR, they are; 850SW which is pink and in the hands of my 5yo most of the time and the 1050SW wich has higher MP and full metal casing. From memory the 850 was $300.

i guess this is similar topic but what is best option for an entry level DSLR? ive been told nikon do a good entry level dslr but yeah just wondering if anyone has any advice….i havent owned a dslr camera before and wanted to ‘step up’

My olympis broke for the 4th time. Should i upgrade to a video camera or stick to a digital?

what kind of plympus was it?

spaz - 17 June 2009 09:33 AM

How much is the Fuji S2 I’m sure it’s above $400.
Do canon still make the 1XUS, I’ve heard many good things about that camera.

Personally we have 2 Olympus P&S camera’s, because I wont let +1 touch my Nikon DSLR, they are; 850SW which is pink and in the hands of my 5yo most of the time and the 1050SW wich has higher MP and full metal casing. From memory the 850 was $300.

yeah the fuji s2 was about $2500 body only, which is why i picked mine up 2nd hand from wedding photographer for about $700…not a huge amount of acctuations on it which was good, but i think i have a few issues with pixels on the ccd.

if i had the money i would buy totally new, but i only use it when i get into serious photog mode. otherwise i carry a point and shoot, or the vid cam.
i would love the new S5 but i want to go to japan…it’s either one or the other.

in my opinion the best point and shoot camera bang for buck, quality and durability is the new Canon ELPH series w/ HD. http://personafile.com/Canon-Powershot-Digital-ELPH-SD1100IS.html.

This cam has been dropped onthe pavement, pulled through deep powder follow cam style and shoots HD. Whats the point in spending 1200-1500+ on a HD camcorder body+lenses+batteries etc when this thing does all that for like 400 CAD. We shot a buncha quick fun edits with this throughout the year and the quality is top notch.

I ended up getting a Pentax Optio P70…Check it out http://www.pentax.com.au/pentax/index.cfm?pageID=2&modelID=62&

Thanks for all your help!!!