The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Helmets..Yes or No?

CRACKERS - 11 July 2009 08:25 AM

I very rarely go without a helmet. After having a brother in a coma for 3wks with a head injury it wasnt really even something that i had to think about…... (should i look like a ‘mushroom head’ or should i risk being a mushroom head? ).

I always laugh about how much Australians worry about what they look like on the slopes….95% of us are kooks anyway and having a cool beanie on isnt going to make your riding look any better.
The typical senario goes something along the lines of .....new guests enter lodge where im working, first day morning getting ready to go out them: ” oh haha you wear a helmet?  me: yeah you should to   them : ‘ooh nah they look funny and i dont need one’
then later you see them on the slopes and they are busting huge ‘straight airs’ and catching edges….ill never quite get the reasoning.

Fair call crackers, you have called me out on this one…:)

I think if I detatch from the looks point of view, and look at it like a seatbelt - to do its job properly it has to fit right, and when it is fitting right (and therefore doing its job), you rarely notice that it’s there…

that’s what I want from a helmet, and if it fits right and doesn’t feel like it’s even there, then by logic it should look in proportion and fine…

bangabain - 13 July 2009 01:28 PM
CRACKERS - 11 July 2009 08:25 AM

I very rarely go without a helmet. After having a brother in a coma for 3wks with a head injury it wasnt really even something that i had to think about…... (should i look like a ‘mushroom head’ or should i risk being a mushroom head? ).

Fair call crackers, you have called me out on this one…:)

I think if I detatch from the looks point of view, and look at it like a seatbelt - to do its job properly it has to fit right, and when it is fitting right (and therefore doing its job), you rarely notice that it’s there…

that’s what I want from a helmet, and if it fits right and doesn’t feel like it’s even there, then by logic it should look in proportion and fine…

bangabain - you make a very good point. The helmet does have to fit you just right. If my helmet was moving all over my head, it would certainly put me off. The only suggestion I could make is for you to try on a number of different brands and models - everyone has a different shape/sized head - the helmet that is perfect for my head may not not be for yours grin

Like you said, once it fits you right, it should be in proportion so you don’t look like a special ed kid. The majority of the ppl I ride with wear helmets - and none of their helmets make them look like coneheads, retards, etc - because the helmets fit them nice and snugly grin

Your haircut at the time can alter the fit.
A lot of helmets come with some thin padding that can be placed, or removed to change the fit - they seem very thin, but that is all it takes.
Truly, I wear a thin hat (BEANIE) under my helmet, it helps with fit, and I find it more comfortable. It’s actually odd for me to wear the helmet without the beanie, even in summer.
It is just what I find comfortable.

A beanie can help the fit.
I think it may be better to err on the side of a little loose rather than tight, because you can add a thin beanie / toque or padding when too loose, but if its too tight, you just cant shave off part of your head to enhance the fit… smile

snowslider - 14 July 2009 12:18 AM

but if its too tight, you just cant shave off part of your head to enhance the fit… smile

You can…It`s just not recommended

I wear a helmet and have done since I started boarding. I chose to wear one since I was trying something new and thought it was for the best. There has been times when I have not worn it, like taking photos tongue laugh but thats about it.

It really saved me last year, was at the back of mount piper and it was terrible. Death marbles. Caught a back edge down I went, broke and fractured my wrist and smacked my head massively. There is a little I don’t remember of the fall, but I was never knocked out. Hate to think what would have happened had I not had a helmet on confused

Dave99 - 14 July 2009 12:35 AM
snowslider - 14 July 2009 12:18 AM

but if its too tight, you just cant shave off part of your head to enhance the fit… smile

You can…It`s just not recommended

and this is why I’m glad you’re back, Dave - you were gone for too long.

I am all for the helmet. First few seasons I never wore one and never thought about it, but then my friends wore some and i thought about getting one. One weekend after drunkenly falling (actually superman jumping) of a balcony at a party i gave my head a nasty knock and concussion. A few days later on the hill i hit my head in exactly the same way on some hard ice and i got all dizy again. This convinced me to get a helmet. I always push my limits to improve, which in turn leads to the occasionaly stack. Once i started wearing one i never looked back. Confidence increased, my head was warmer than a beanie, it keeps my head drier when the weather turns crappy and wet, I got my Giro with TuneUps so I can cruise to music and I have that extra peace of mind for the safety of my skull! It has definately saved my head many many times. I actually feel naked with out it, and as much as i love riding with beanies, I now find I cant ride without wearing my helmet.
Now I’ve just gotta stop jumping off things and landing with my head when I’m drinking wink or i could just look extra cool and wear my helmet out haha have my own tunes pumpin and my own party under my helmet

Helmets in public are the awesomeness!

I must be Awesome then grin

Speaking of helmets in public, I have photos of a mate wearing his on a plane.
I think that confused a few of the other passengers.

well if its carry-on you might as well give it a try grin dunno if it will save u in a plane crash though!

Skiing makes me Board - 16 July 2009 05:24 AM

Speaking of helmets in public, I have photos of a mate wearing his on a plane.
I think that confused a few of the other passengers.

That sounds hilarious!
Please share!
scan and post!

I do for a pretty simple reason: a helmet save my life a few years back - Canadian trees are HARD. Knocked me out cold, but it would have been worse if it weren’t for my Burton HiFi. I still have it but only as a reminder - now I rock a Protec Vigilante.