The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboards for Girls

Hi Girls,

I’m interested in buying a snowboard and some new outerwear this season - last season I had to use hand-me-downs from my boyfriend and his friends (to prove that I was serious about learning - I passed the test!) so this year I’d like to get some stuff of my own. I already have Burton Sables so I’d like to add some more style (and obviously practicality) to my collection! Any recommendations ?

Thanks girls!

Lys.

Okie Dokie..

There are so many great choices but first we will need to know a couple of things. Firstly what would you like to add to your collection? Board, Bindings, Jacket & Pants? For buying a board we will need to know what riding style you like, and what level rider you are. Im guessing your at the beginner - intermediate standard? Once we know that we will need to factor in your height and roughly what weight. If you plan and buying bindings, we will need to know what size sable boots (good choice by the way) you have, to get the correct size bindings. In my head i have already decided a good intermediate set up, but let me know colour’s for outerwear and a rough price range, and I’ll list everything.

So get back to me (and all the other chicks reading this) and we will go from there.

LB..

Cool, thanks Lauren.

In answer to your questions:

- I’m after a board, bindings jacket, pants and goggles
- Riding style - My riding style at the moment is getting down the mountain ! But as I progress I’d like to learn a few tricks.
- Beginner to intermediate standard is right - I feel like a I picked it up pretty quickly
- My height is around 160cm and I weight around 50kg.
- Boots are a size 7
- Outerwear colours I’m open to suggestions - my boots are white and I like fairly nuetral colours (I don’t want to be attracting too much attention to myself !). I’m pretty girly though so something a little bit ‘feminine’ would be nice so I still feel good dressed up in all that gear !
- Price range for the board is $600-$1000.

Thanks !

If I were you, Lys_Renae and buying my first set up, (which I did a year and a half ago), I’d head to your local board store, or look online for beginner package deals, of at least a board & bindings together, if not everything. I got my first set up (a pretty good Rossignol Zena board & excellent Ride Vxn bindings) for $490 together. I then found some super comfy boots that fitted well and basic outerwear from the previous year on sale & then had myself all set up for under 1000 bucks.
If you buy things separately, the cost can tend to add up. I personally didn’t think it was worthwhile spending heaps on beginner things, when I wouldn’t notice the difference between them anyway…not until I had more riding experience & knew more about how boards worked etc that it was worth refining my gear.

Most beginner packages will come with a decent beginner, all mountain board, which is what I’d recommend. Size of the board, I’m not so sure cos you’re pretty light, but I’d guess somewhere around 145ish? I’m sure L.B. can fill you in on that one.

Good luck!

Thanks for stepping in there Cords are giving some good advice.

Ok, so I’m going to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Boards - There are 2 intermediate boards I’m going to talk about.

1. BURTON Blender is my first choice and what i thought of straight away. This board has had some amazing feedback from all the girls who tested and now who ride it. It has been described as a freestyle board which mixes the latest park tech with soft-flex and true twin that makes learning new tricks fast and easy (with practice). Fun board to ride especially if you would like to start getting into the park. It has the NEW scoop nose and tail shape, which gives more point of contact on the snow for smoother take-offs and butters (oh so much fun). Comes in sizes 141, 145, 148, 151, 154. Being 160 i would recommend a 141, 145. With a soft flex, it makes it so much more fun to muck around on and for learning park. My first pic.

2. BURTON troop is my second choice of board. A big favourite in my books, seeing as it was the first board i ever owned. (Thanks Shane). It has been described as an All-mountain Freestyle board with a more stable shape, softer flex, directional shape and latest tech to maximize the fun. There is more side cut on this board, so locks and hold the edges amazingly when turning and is ridden by the top female pipe riders (eg. Elena Hight) for these reasons. Comes in sizes 141, 146, 151, 154. Being 160 i would 146, 151. The reason i would give more height with this board is because it is more of an All-mountain board, so more carving.

If you would like some advice on other board Brands let me know.

Bindings - There only 1 binding I’m going to talk about. Great start out binding, mid-range price and great for intermediate / freestyle binding. And the first bindings i every owned. (Thanks Shane, again)

BURTON Lexa. The Lexa is a great intermediate / freestyle binding with a response rating of 4. With the calf-hugging hi-backs and NEW slimmed down ultra capstrap, there is no wonder it rides with great response. This is a big pic for most girls buying there bindings for the first time, also because it is the first binding most shop staff would recommend out of the BURTON range.

There is a binding below it in the range called the Stiletto (beginner) binding and the Escapade (Advanced) binding which is above.

In the Lexa range there is 4 types this season:

1. Lexa (which is the standard binding)
2. Lexa EST which goes with the EST set up on the board (I would recommend if buying a whole set up)
3. Lexa GMP (the GREEN version)
4. Lexa Speed Zone (for lazy people out there who think it takes too long to strap you there bindings)

This binding OR any in the BURTON range would go great with the BURTON board and your BURTON sable boots.

If you would like some advice on the other Binding Brands OR more details about the other BURTON Bindings, just let me know.

Outerwear - Where am i going to start.

The main thing to think about with Outerwear is the Waterproof rating, and Breathability rating. 5,000 - 10,000 - 20,000.

5,000 - cheapest price range

10,000 - medium range (does the job well)

20,000 - top range (good overseas jacket)

Every brand has a different way to rate there Outerwear, but this will always give you a good starting point. I would always recommend a 10,000 minimum.

I would recommend ANAKIE, BURTON, BONFIRE, BILLABONG, NIKITA, DC.

I’m a big supporter of ANAKIE. To read more on the company and owner, keep an eye out for the Industry Profile section of ‘Girls Only’ coming soon. Girl company and Australian.

Let me know if you want more details about any of the above. I know the Outerwear range in more detail, but thought i would just give you a good start.

L.B.

If anyone else has any questions, just fire them my way.