The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

gloves

hey guys, need some descent gloves badly, which are the best?
cheers

If you want the best don’t look at anything other than Gore-tex. A lot of brands use Gore-tex, and it’s hard to say one is better than the other. It really depends what you are looking for… over-the-jacket or low profile? warm or very warm?

The Gore-tex membrane will keep you dry (Gore-tex is the most waterproof and breathable membrane on the market (other than Gore-tex XCR)). The other choices come down to which brand, style, colour, bulk/warmth, budget etc…

A few Gore-text suggestions…

Best value:

Dakine Bronco GT
Burton Superpipe glove
Burton Gore glove

Best gloves in my opinion:

Burton AK Clutch glove (that would be my recommendation. Awesome glove!)
Burton AK Guide glove
Burton AK Throttle glove

You will however pay a premium price for these technical gloves.

thanks heaps mate, do you know how much the burton ak gloves retail for?

From the top of my head I think the AK Clutch glove retails for about $150. The guide glove and Throttle glove will get progressively more expensive.

The value Gore-tex gloves I suggested all retail around the $100 - $110 mark.

The only input I can say is don’t buy grenade. Mine fell apart after literally 4 days riding. I contacted Grenade about this as I spent $130 on the gloves and they never replied to my email. I have a pair of Burton gloves with goretex(cant find the model name) and they’ve lasted me about 2 season now smile

I was riding with a pair of Dakine’s but I am interested in going leather this year.

Anyone have any nay/yay experiences with leather? Had alook at ESS the other day and saw some POW gloves that looked pretty sweet, around the $120 mark.

I had a pair of Burton RPM leather gloves… they were awesome! You do need to maintain the leather once in a while with Nikwax to keep the leather water resistant. For comfort and dexterity leather is the shiz. Just make sure you check out what insert they have (i.e. the waterproof insert that you can’t see under the leather). The waterproofing will only be as good as the insert.

Ahh very nice to know cheers for that.

Am quite interested in the POW Stealth model, those look quiet nice and seem to have a decent amount of protection.

I have a pair of Burton Approach, not to fancy but hell they do their job smile.

To me a good pair of gloves are just a pair that keep your hands warm, aren’t to constraining, and are easy to grab in. Most Burton gloves provide those aspects.

antt321 - 05 July 2009 09:25 AM

are easy to grab in.

That’s one of my biggest gripes with the pair of Dakine I have at the moment, feels like I’m constantly snatching at thin air!

I have the Burton AK 3L Hover Mitts - nice and toasty warm - although they are mitts. I certainly don’t loss much dexterity when strapping in, etc.

I don’t think they are super cheap but you get what pay for…..

stay away from all dakine mitts that have a stiching from either gortex to suede or different materials in the thumb (where you ratchet your binding) I have had multiple Bronco GT gloves rip to shreds from my Binders. I’m not on Dakine Cobra GTs(all leather, no stiching in thumb) and they have taken abuse with glee from my binders.

We have contacted the BC Dakine team manager about this issue and he says an inside wrap to prevent from this thumb tear is in the works. AK gloves ar egreat but jus ta little pricey for me….

go high end dakine or mid range AK… as jer says , only gortex.

I’m a freak for gloves.
I hate to say this, but finding one pair of gloves that does it all is not an easy thing to find…
I’m sure the same can be said for jackets, but it’s much more costly.

I think it is nice to use your gloves, like you do yout upper body and layer.
Some high end super cold weather gloves you can purchase, like the Burton AK gloves, of course are GORE, btu have a polyester liner, and a fleece liner and also a shell.
All of these layers can be switched to use with another glove.

the Burton power-stretch liner is a great thin ‘first layer’ glove.
You can get a similar thin glove for a first layer almost anywhere, just make sure it is polyester, not cotton…. just like all other first layer stuff you want it to be polyester, because cotton holds the moisture in, polyester doesnt hold it in. (it wicks it away) after the cotton layer is close to your skin ans wet and then gets cold again——you’re cold. polyester wont do that to you. So stick with poylester.

So, first layer for your gloves, allows you some versatility in your glove set up, and the liners can easily be removed, and stuffed into any jacket pocket without a problem.

treynolds - 05 July 2009 08:03 AM

I was riding with a pair of Dakine’s but I am interested in going leather this year.

Anyone have any nay/yay experiences with leather? Had alook at ESS the other day and saw some POW gloves that looked pretty sweet, around the $120 mark.

I have a pair of Dakines. Not sure of the model name, they are about 3 seasons old now though.
They have a leather underside to the palm, fingers and thumb and a gore-tex top side.
Awesome gloves, keep my hands nice and warm and i just give them a top up of nik-wax at the start of each season.
I ride about 15-20 days a season and they are still in great condition.
I’ll definitely be going leather again. They seem to be a lot tougher than any other material.
I have a mate who bought some Burton gloves last season with a synthetic palm, and after 7 days riding the thumbs are all torn up already.

Do treat the leather so it repels water.
Old leather or untreated leather will absorb water, get heavy and freeze later in the day as the temperatures get colder.

has any one used burton impact gloves? the ones that have built in wrist protection?