The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo Top to Bottom Race

Has anyone entered in this before?

I am thinking about entering this year… just want to know what it’s like.

I’m curious…

I imagine it to be faaaaast!!!

Something your good at J wink

It’s worth it just to get lift access in the dark, clear goggles are a good idea and a helmet and registration is necessary. It’s kinda GS gates with officials so if you miss a gate your disqualified, you get at least 2 course inspections, more if it’s not from Karells. Last full t2b was 2002 all the others have been from Black Salee’s.

It’s competitive! The run is knarly it’s a la monde start. So that means you have to run up a hill first, carrying your gear and the strap in or kick in, people hold your jacket, push you over while you strap in, grab and pull for extra speed etc.. Flow binding, click in and hard boots have an advantage here.
Being early in the morning it’s usually icy and fast although the gates and other competitors slow you down a bit (see the how fast thread). And it is a leg burner - after a 50-100m run then bomb’n the course.

But the worst part is as a border your the last of 5 divisions, meaning we stand in the cold waiting, by then the course is trashed, and it gets cold waiting on the highest lifted point in Australia for around to 45min at 6am.

oops, posted in the wrong place.

Thanks for the info spaz. Are you entering this year?

Hell yeah!
It will make for a great video; with my 3 camera’s, I have a skier that’s wearing a HeadCam and 2 cameramen on the course with hand held HD 3chip video camera’s. I like the competition and will give it my all.

Previous placings by me:
2002 - 5th
2006-  9th
2007- 19th

Wow, that’s pretty good. Do you know how much prize money goes to the snowboarders? I know it’s $18,000 overall, but wondering how it’s split.

i went in it in 01…. i think.  My boss at the time took us down and I entered with a friends, real last minute.  I had so much fun, i was definately that punter that had no idea…...standard for me.  I think it must have been a good year as it wasn’t too cold or icy and i loved being up there early for the sunrise.  From my experience i would definately do it again, it was funny watching everyone scurry up the hill taking each other out and struggle with their bindings cos if you don’t get away quick…..game over.  The run down was quick and a different experience having such a long run for the oz hills. .....DO IT.

What board would you recommend spaz? And when is it? I could get my hands on a mates 160 custom x with my p1s or his co2’s maybe we could have a boardworld team and all defend the strongest rider ala tour de france. Spaz you might be slowed a bit by your cables and what not;)

Date is August 8th. That sounds like a great idea Banger!! haha wink Would be so good if we could organise a pit crew, a few sprinters to run up faster than anyone and get the snowboard ready, one crew for each strap, then they run down the hill pushing to get a good start like they do in the bobsled.

events like this may call for an extra board with a fresh wax to switch into every few runs.

I think of this like the Snowshoe, WV 24 hour race.
The record the number of laps down the mountain, in a 24 hour period of time.
The rope off a part of the mountain where there’s one lift, and 2 runs to choose from.
different age groups for ski and for boards.
Nice fun - all night long.

A pit crew is used in this set up, for those super serious.
A couple extra boards are ready to go and waiting with a fresh wax and tune.
winner takes a few thousand home.
There is individual and team results. You either enter as an individual or with a group to tag-team the event.

Is this event similar to that?

Good idea with the extra board slider! pity I only have one set of bindings.

Not the board your riding now Banger! I watched the footage from my TailCam looked like someone pulled you back up Sunbrowner (Sundowner) wink
Other years I used a borrowed 162, I often ask around the village too see who has a big board they don’t ride and borrow that for the week. But I’m pretty happy with the Zeppelin unless a nice 64 comes along, hard boot would be good but the run would suck.

I think I can sort out the cables with a different set up just for the race, we will have a few HD camera’s on course and produce a video of the event. I’ll get a great view from Boot and TailCam, HeadCam will be backup footage and a perspective of the run. I’ll need to put some cams on competitors in other divisions as well.

spaz - 07 July 2009 02:08 PM

Good idea with the extra board slider! pity I only have one set of bindings.

All you need is a friend that will let you borrow theirs!