The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

January 2017…Where to go???

Just wondering where everyone reckons the snow’s going to be in January?

My options are Niseko, Utah, Colorado, Tahoe or Canada?

Where do you reckon my best bet for powder is, based on the La Nina forecasts?

If anyone has any lines on cheap flights that would be awesome too! I think I missed all of the specials :(

Quick update…Tahoe, Colorado and Park City are probably preffered as I already have lift passes (epic pass). Are these looking good?

GG66 - 28 September 2016 08:29 PM

Just wondering where everyone reckons the snow’s going to be in January?

My options are Niseko, Utah, Colorado, Tahoe or Canada?

Where do you reckon my best bet for powder is, based on the La Nina forecasts?

If anyone has any lines on cheap flights that would be awesome too! I think I missed all of the specials :(

Have you been to any of the above before?
You want powder so I’m assuming BC?
Why limited to those options?

Thanks for the reply LMB. I have been to Canada (whistler) and Japan. Though I’ve only been on Honshu in Japan and haven’t yet ventured north to Hokkaido.

I’ve limited it to those spots because a) they’re top of the list at the moment and b) I have lift passes to Colorado, Utah and Tahoe. I am definitely open to suggestions though.

Not so much Back country riding. Maybe a little side country but mostly just hoping for freshies and riding trees in bounds though if the opportunity presents itself I’m not going to say no!

@GG66
I am yet to visit North America/Canada for snow so I can’t give you any tips or suggestions related to them.

But Niseko I’ve been visiting for 11 years.

I chose NOT to go this January for one main reason.  The crappy Honshu season last year.  I heard over and over ‘so disappointed, we will go to Hokkaido next time’ - it was very clear to me that Dec/Jan peak school holiday time in Niseko was going to be at and beyond capacity.

It’s busy enough there during January, but with that added, and more accomodation being built.  We rented our apartment out!

Don’t take that the wrong way - I’ll be there the following Jan (doing the whole season) and you can still find powder a little hike away from the gates even days after a snowfall if you want to.  But you will often hear lamenting by first time visitors that there were too many Aussies and it was ‘tracked out’ by 10am.  Yep, peak January all the easy access spots will be tracked out fast.  Doesn’t mean that you can’t still have an awesome time riding through soft chopped up POW.  Or that you can’t find any clean lines if you’re prepared for a little hike.

What they say about the light dry powder in Hokkaido is true.  It’s insane when it comes.  But it’s weather - could be awesome, could be shite.  The longer you stay the higher your chances of a jackpot.

As far as forecasts go, looks like it might start early in Niseko.  Which is awesome.  If it come early I might even duck over for a few weeks pre-Christmas when it’s generally pretty quiet.

You certainly can’t complain about the abundance of pretty safe tree skiing in Niseko!  It’s pretty awesome.

Bear in mind the NOAA have just downgraded the La NiƱa forecast to below 40%.

Either way, Utah and Colorado seem to do pretty well whereas Tahoe can struggle depending on the season - Mamoth does ok due to elevation though if you’re open to it as a California option.

A friend of mine did Park City in Utah recently and said it was epic!

Thanks Hughman666. Bummer about the downgrade! Park city is currently topping my list. Just gotta see if I can make it happen now.

Yeah it is a bit of a downer but it’s not all bad - the fact that it’s changed so quickly means it can just as quickly change back (although it looks less likely).  Either way, they’re now calling for a neutral winter which isn’t a bad thing.  Even more reason to stick to the safe bets such as Colorado, Utah and Wyoming.  I’m doing BC (Whistler & Sun Peaks) in Jan for the same reason - safe bet.  I was thinking of doing Heavenly but maybe next year, along with Jackson and Park City!

if it were me, i’d be looking at Wyoming and Montana as well as Northern Colorado

Neutral is definitely not a bad thing. After the last couple seasons here in WA/BC I’m considering it a good thing.
Outlook for now is a stormy early winter for the PNW. How that affects weather for CO I’m not sure.

Mod: fixed the vid for you - use edit to see what i did. Oz
Edit: Cheers!

.....aaaaand the NOAA has changed their forecast again.  Apparently La Nina (a weak one) is a 70% chance of happening now.