The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Super soft board for outside of the park?

Hullo,

I’m looking at a new board for this season, after demoing a few different boards in previous seasons. I have tried a Burton Custom, an Amplid Pocket Knife, and a Never Summer Proto HD. In definitely liked the Proto the most, it was nice and soft and easy to manipulate.

As for where my riding is headed, I could describe it as simply all-mountain goofing off. I’m never going fast (not really my thing), so I haven’t really noticed any chatter or handling issues on the softer boards. When I’m carving I’m doing it super slowmo cruise speed and just enjoying being on a rail. I like hitting natural features and drops, but never going for massive air or speed. I sometimes like to hit the small/medium jumps in the park (nothing big) and small rails, and I love buttering around everywhere. I love soft snow and anything natural I can find off the groomers (Stuff like Sun Valley Mt Perisher, North Perisher Tbar, Thredbo Cannonball, etc etc).

Whenever I tell people that I want to goof around outside of the park, they immediately point me to a medium stiffness all mountain board, but given my slow/moderate speeds and easy goofing off, wouldn’t I be better off on a softer board even outside of the park? Surely I only need something stiffer if I was to be charging a little harder on big jumps or going faster down the groomers?

Boards I really want to demo this season before I buy anything include the Never Summer Warlock and Funslinger, and maybe the Burton Process? Anything else I should add to the list that I can demo out of Perisher or Jindy?

Someone I met in Japan rode a Funslinger around the resort doing what you describe, looked like a really fun board. Maybe try a Slash Happy Place, I love mine. Flexy in the tip and tail but torsionally it’s a bit stiffer so you aren’t on a total noodle, probably from the carbon in cross bits in the core. A friend bought a Nitro Afterlife which looks really fun too.

YES Basic!!!!!

That is all I have to say!!!!!

Board flex is personal preference. Dantheman here rode his ultrafear everywhere in Whistler.

I rode a new Salomon Assassin for the majority of the past season in Whistler and found it a fun, do anything, soft and playful board. Despite being a mid-flex, I found it super easy to butter and play around on (much more so compared to the Ride Machete GT and Stepchild Sucks that I also tried). Hybrid camber profile too so still carves quite nicely.

I also spent a bit of time on a Stepchild Latchkey but found it quite noodle-y and not a whole lot of fun outside the park.

Look no further than an Arbor Draft…that is the exact board you are describing. I’m on my 2nd one and I adore it!

Mizu Kuma - 16 May 2016 11:10 PM

YES Basic!!!!!

That is all I have to say!!!!!

I agree with this one. Definitely try the YES Basic if you get the chance. Super playful and versatile, and it also has a rockered nose and tail (camber between the feet) making it great for butters and the type of riding you’ve mentioned. Another board in the line worth trying would be the YES Public.

The Rome Gangplank is worth looking at as well. Flat between the feet and rocker nose and tail, with a soft/medium flex. It’s a really fun board!

Welcome to Boardworld, @Zarb! shaka