The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Bataleon Magic Carpet - Anyone ridden it?

Hey guys, just wanting to see if I could get any personal reviews on this board. Heading to Japan again next year, and I’m really keen to try get stuck into a proper powder board this time round.

I’ve just been running my Fyve Mayhem hybrid camber for the last 2 trips I did there which did me well as an all round board, but looking to change things up. Aiming to go more of a freeride board this time round - something that is still a general all mountain board, but works best in the powder. From a bit of research, it seems this could be the board for me - but hoping for some extra convincing!

The other option I had was the Capita Powder Pill (although it’s super pricy).

Hey Blind Kid, by the sound of what you are after and what you have been riding the Bataleon does not look to much different. I would be looking at a YES 420, YES Optimistic or a Jones Storm Chaser and take your Fyve as your second board, these boards will give you great performance in Powder the YES420 is such a versatile board and rides trees better than any of the three, the Optimistic I think will be a real surprise package and the Storm Chaser will really allow you to draw out your powder turns.
I’ve taken the YES420, YES2020 and Gentemstick Big fish as my Japan quiver over the past 4 years.
This coming year I have mixed things up and sold the YES boards and I have a purchased a Powder Pill as I am doing a road tip around the middle of Hokkaido, so thought I would get a different board to compliment the Gentem due to more open and steeper terrain.

Hey Nigel, thanks for the info! I had a look at those boards, and think they might be a little too far on the pow side for what I’m after for this trip. That Yes 420 looks like a crap load of fun, but I actually don’t really have the option of taking over two boards this year, thus the choice of all mountain (but powder orientated) board that I’m after.  This year I’ll be taking the fiance along with me, so her board will be stuffed in my bag as well. So really, I need a board thats going to look after me the entire trip, as I won’t be able to take a sparey.

However, please let me know how that Powder Pill goes! I love the look and shape of it, looks like so much fun. If I spent a whole season in Japan it would definitely be something I’d buy. I actually stumbled across your youtube videos when I looked into those board haha. Looks like you scored some deep stuff on your tester vid trips.

Anyways! After a lot of research this week, and actually think I’ve found the perfect whip - the K2 Ultra Dream. It’s one of those boards that no one has a bad thing to say about. I’ve never actually looked into K2 much, but after seeing some of the feedback on their boards and specifically this one, I’m completely sold. It’s a directional board (but only slightly), with a nice and high rockered out nose, which will keep in happy in the deep stuff - but apparently is an absolute blast all over the mountain as well. It’s on the slightly softer side of the powder board flex’s which I actually prefer as it will be a little more forgiving. Considering I only really ride Japan these days, and often takes me 2 years to save up for my trip - I think it will be nice to be able to still ease into the riding a little as my legs will always be a little shaky this first day or two.

The old Fyve board did me pretty well on the last two trips I did in Niseko, and considering the fact that board had more of a camber hybrid shape, I think the K2 should be a nice-but-not-over-the-top powder board upgrade. The great thing as well is that the Ultra Dream also has a wide option in a 159 which will be perfect for me. I’m 6’3”, but only 73kgs (maybe 77-78 once all my gear is on) and I wear a size 12 boot. I like to skate around in the powder, rather than doing massive big surfy turns - so shorter is better and the wide will allow me to keep it short. Only problem is a may need to get a bigger board bag now as my old 158 was on the verge on exploding already, so this board is probably going to be just over haha.

My name is Brandon by the way smile

Cheers!

Thanks The Blind Kid I think you are on the correct board looks nice and wide for an all mountain ride and will probably give you everything that will suit you for your Japan one board quiver without being a powder specific board .It will definitely do better than my Burton Barron that I rode back in the day. Hit me up if you are riding Perisher this year as I will get you walking/spitting to some nice fresh lines. BTW that shot in Japan in the previous photo is the shit we walk to in my videos which are “fresh lines” every day. This year I took a crew of 7 up there “i am not a guide” so that is why the there were a few more people enjoining the ride especially a 60 year old boarder who changed his life after starting snowboard at 55 let the frozen wave live on.

@Nigel Neubauer

Ended up getting hands on this puppy mate - Capita x Spring Break Powder Pill 158 - Can’t wait to try her out in Niseko and Rusutsu next year! Decided I’m just going to take 2 boards too haha. Prepared for anything!

Nice one hope you got a good deal on the Powder Pill can’t wait to ride mine as well I am sure it will rip, good choice on taking two boards hopefully it will be deep and you won’t need to bring out the 2nd board. I am sure there won’t be many crew riding these boards up there this year.
By the way there is some guy selling one of these for $580 on Gumtree probably get it for less http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lidcombe/snow-sports/brand-new-capita-spring-break-158cm-snowboard/1116493922

@Nigel Neubauer

Yeh mate I actually got it off of him. I have a feeling he’s forgotten to remove the ad haha as he only had one Powder Pill. Great price considering I could only find them in the states, and they were roughly the same price in USD. Only charged me $20 shipping too which was great, and next day delivery. Super impressed.

I’ve been stalking the Powder Pill hashtag on instagram and hitting other guys up who have ridden the board. Not one person has had anything bad to say. Majority said it was the most fun board they’ve ever ridden, so I’m feeling confident that it’s going to slay in Japan.