The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

YES. The Greats 2016 - Insert Issue

Hey,

Firstly, I’ve been pretty keen on the Yes the Greats for a while especially the 2016 model and I was about to get one when I heard that all of the 2016 156 and 158 boards were defective. Apparently they have drilled the inserts into the wrong place!

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this and knew if this is correct?

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone had any experience on the 2015 model? I have managed to find a brand new 2015 greats but I was just wondering if anyone knew how that board performed? I believe that the 2016 had a lot more pop and a softer flex and I am particularly interested in something with a lot of pop so that’s quite important to me. Any info on how the 2015 board rides would be great though.

Hey @GG66,

I will let @amine give you an official response regarding the apparent defect. To be honest, this is the first I have heard of it.

2015 vs 2016… they are completely different boards. The 2016 model was retooled from scratch, and built in the new SWF factory which is where all their boards are made now. The 2016 model is a serious upgrade on the 2015 model. The board was reshaped and refined.

rider26 - 15 April 2016 02:20 PM

Hey @GG66,

I will let @amine give you an official response regarding the apparent defect. To be honest, this is the first I have heard of it.

2015 vs 2016… they are completely different boards. The 2016 model was retooled from scratch, and built in the new SWF factory which is where all their boards are made now. The 2016 model is a serious upgrade on the 2015 model. The board was reshaped and refined.

Thanks rider26. Yeah I’ve come across quite a few things on line about the defect and I’ve actually spoken to a few people in board stores about it who have heard about the problem but couldn’t give me any details.
A lot of people have heard about it but no-one has been able to confirm it 100% yet and I just want to make sure before I spend a bunch on a board that might have problems. I even emailed yes to try find out more but had no response.

Also, I am aware of all of the changes in the greats from 2015 to 2016. I really just wanted to know how the 2015 rides. Although they’re different boards the 2015 still has the camber and shape I’m after. Still the right kind of board if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info though.

Hello All. 
And thanks for looping me in here @rider26
And to @GG66 your decision to buy a YES. Greats is a very good one.  That board is an amazing all mountain FS inspired board.  Perfect for the guy who likes to push a TWIN all over the mountain.  I can certainly guarantee that it has tonnes of pop, but it is on the more solid side flex wise!  But worth noting is that the ASYM sidecut makes it very user friendly.

As you may or may not know, I distribute YES. in aus & nz, and with regards to the reported insert placement defect, this is certainly news to me!  Now, that is not to say it isn’t true, but we certainly got through our 2016 board deliveries (which we did for Winter2015) without this issue being brought to my attention once! 

So for due diligence, I will reach out to both the Factory & YES International to get some info on this topic.  Stay Tuned for the official word!

AND Thanks Again for supporting YES.

amine - 15 April 2016 04:47 PM

Hello All. 
And thanks for looping me in here @rider26
And to @GG66 your decision to buy a YES. Greats is a very good one.  That board is an amazing all mountain FS inspired board.  Perfect for the guy who likes to push a TWIN all over the mountain.  I can certainly guarantee that it has tonnes of pop, but it is on the more solid side flex wise!  But worth noting is that the ASYM sidecut makes it very user friendly.

As you may or may not know, I distribute YES. in aus & nz, and with regards to the reported insert placement defect, this is certainly news to me!  Now, that is not to say it isn’t true, but we certainly got through our 2016 board deliveries (which we did for Winter2015) without this issue being brought to my attention once! 

So for due diligence, I will reach out to both the Factory & YES International to get some info on this topic.  Stay Tuned for the official word!

AND Thanks Again for supporting YES.

Wow thanks for the super quick response @amine and I hope I haven’t kicked up a big fuss over nothing!

I look forward to getting a definitive answer though and I really hope what I’ve heard is wrong cause I’d love to buy that board…looks amazing!

Pretty sure there was a batch that had the inserts set back!!!!!

I think they were only in one batch that slipped through to the US!!!!!

Pretty easy to measure and confirm if all is good with one!!!!!

Hey Guys - I just heard back from YES. about this, and yes there were issues with some of the 156 (Noah Salasnek) & 158 (Shaun Palmer) 2015/16 GREATS boards. 

The issue relates to where the left foot stance inserts were placed (I say ‘left foot’ as the GREATS is an ASYM twin - so there is a TOE EDGE and a HEEL EDGE).  In the effected cases, the inserts for the left foot were placed 20mm back of where they should have been placed - so it would be fairly easy to measure and see if this issue has effected a specific board. 

....The saddest part about this is that YES. will not be reprinting either of these graphics (in honour of Noah Salasnek and Shaun Palmer) with the corrected stance positions!!!  But obviously the stance can still be centred on both lengths, but just not at the full range of stance widths. 

I hope this hasn’t caused too much inconvenience to anyone, and if you have any more questions / issues / concerns, then please let me know!

And again. MANY THANKS FOR SUPPORTING YES.!!

Just to add to what @amine has already said…

Only the 156 and 158 models were affected.

Basically, the front inserts are back one set of inserts from where they should be. You can still easily centre your stance on the board. There is nothing “wrong” with the board and it is still super easy to centre your stance. The only time it would be an issue is if you were trying to max out the stance and still be centred.

For the 156 you can have a centred stance at the following original stance widths:

20.6”
22.2”
23.7”

The only stance width you can’t be centred on, which is super wide, is 25.4”

For the 158 you can have a centred stance at the following original stance widths:

21.1”
22.7”
24.2”

The only stance width you can’t be centred on is 25.4”

So unless you’re riding a max stance width of 54.4” this issue will not have any effect on your options.

All YES. boards are backed by a lifetime warranty including for the issue mentioned here if it is an issue for you. YES. always has your back with this sort of stuff which is awesome. They are truly a rider owned and operated company that takes care of their customers. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or reply to this thread.

Hit me up at jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au if you need anything.

Personally I’d wait it out for the 2017 Models, the UnInc graphics are wicked and they’ve added a carbon strip down the heel side edge which should make the asym ride even more dialed in.

I’ve been riding the 2017 Greats for the past two days… it’s seriously incredible! The asym flex is genius!

So stoked… I went shredding with DCP yesterday (we were both on the Greats).

Now you know you’re going to have to write up a review for us after a few more days riding!

I thought I’ve got my quiver pretty well dialed for the coming season (Flight Attendant, Endeavor Cobain, Funslinger) but the new Greats is just so damn tempting!

Hey @Phedder,

Absolutely, I will write a review soon. We even went one better. Yesterday, we filmed a complete video review of the board with DCP. He’s been riding the board all season so it’s awesome that we got him to do this for us!

Stay tuned… DCP’s video review and my review will be coming soon.

That’s @Dantheman on the camera! ? ?

I was jealous enough that you simply get to ride right now, riding with DCP pushes that into unknown territory haha. You must be stoked! Looking forward to both the video and your review!

If I say that your review shits all over DCP’s review, will you buy me one for xmas????? @rider26 ?

If I say yes, will you believe me? @Mizu Kuma  LOL

Man, i am seriously considering buying a Greats this season even though i bought a Typo last season and absolutely loved it. I am so torn now with what to do haha. I’ll have to sell my left kidney but i am sure that can be arranged.