The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board width and toe drag

So i bought a Yes Typo in a 156W and just put my bindings and strapped my boots in to get the overhang equal. Im a little concerned about the overhang. I have attached pictures. I measured my Park Pickle and where i put my bindings in (widest point) it is a full 10mm wider than the Typo. I’m 6 foot 5 and a wear a size 13 boot. Andy, if you read this have you experienced it before, being almost exactly the same build as me. Im just worried about toe drag.

Do this test:

Strap both your boots in and tip the board on its side to see how much angle you can get before the boots hit the ground. It’s probably a lot more angle than you think. 259mm waist and size 13 boots should be OK. But let me know how you go.

Gave it a crack, i get about a 60% angle on the toe and 45% on the heel

I use size 12 boots and a 265 waist but I have used 13s and narrower in the past and been okay.

Some things you can do to help it is move the gas pedal on your bindings back a bit so it’s not overhanging the edge. The boots are higher off the ground so they can overhang but not your bindings.
Also if you want less boot overhang you can make your stance wider so your bindings are on a wider part of your board.
You can also turn your angles out a bit to give u less overhang.

Also I should tell you the toe and heel overhang shouldn’t be even for people with big boots (or maybe anyone?)
You’ll find if it’s even and you tilt the board, your toes will touch way sooner.  So give yourself a little more heel overhang and you will be able to tilt the board even amounts. Of course, this is different for each boot and binding, but just play around with it until you can tilt even amounts on both sides.

Happy tuning!

Thanks Andy, i remember speaking with you in Whis about getting some Burton size 12’s. That was when i had those shocking hire boots that were giving me toe drag because the Adidas ones i bought removed both my toenails haha. My boots now are just my old ones but they are pretty good and well worn in. I have the bindings on the widest and running 15/12. No overhang on the bindings. Ive moved the bindings towards the heel edge a bit more and will see how it goes on Sunday.

Thanks for the help guys, eased my mind, i think it will be fine

So i just rode the board for the last 4 days at Perisher and it was an absolute dream. First two days were in the POW and i was super surprised at how well it did. It was great to drop features and have it stiff enough to not flex out on the landings. I still can’t believe how good and how much fun it was. It seems to be the perfect point of playful but still stable enough to go fast. It’s certainly not really flexible but its still easy to butter you just have to think about technique a lot more. Also on spins it is super forgiving. I threw a front 3 and landed badly with a counter rotation and i thought i was gone, it gave me just that split second i needed to get back on the right edge. Really glad i got the 156 as well, feels much easier to throw around. I also got to do a few fast laps of front valley when no one was there late on tuesday night. I straight lined to the bottom and it felt surprisingly stable and when carving on Zalis it held an edge great and didnt flex out too bad when applying a lot of downforce at speed.

As you can tell by the stoke of my post i absolutely love the board. I feel like i’ve progressed in my riding a lot, just in the last 4 days. I’m by no means an experienced or good rider, but this board is seriously fun.

That’s great to hear, Jake. I’m really stoked you’re enjoying your new board. grin