The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thoughts on Netflix vs Stan vs Presto

Poll: Do you use streaming video services?
Total Votes: 10
Yes - Netflix
Yes - Stan
Yes - Presto
Yes - combination of these
Yes - Other
No

I’ve had a free trial month on Netflix and have just started a free 3 month trial (thanks, employer) with Stan.  Have not looked at Presto yet.  At home we have a Samsung smart TV (recent model), “dumb TV” with a Chromecast, iPads, iPhones, PCs, Macs and an Android phone and tablet.  Observations so far:

Netflix
+ nice easy sign-up and pay-as-you-go month-by-month billing
+ choice of 4K if you want it, cheaper pricing for SD
- limited number of streams depending on which plan you choose
- selection of content didn’t impress me so much
+ there’s a Netflix app for Samsung TV
+ easy set-up of profiles per person
- kids’ profiles are not locked to kids’ content

Stan
+ seems to be a little more content than Netflix
+ I don’t think the number of streams is limited
- slightly more hassle to set-up profiles, but really not that hard
+ profiles can be set with restrictions including kids’ content
- no Samsung TV app
- stupid name raspberry
+ browsing categories seem clearer

anyone else tried these out?

I have been using the 30 day free trial of Stan to watch Better Call Saul, and I gotta say..
I wont be continuing after the free trial is over.
im not really impressed with the quality.

Got Netflix and won’t bother with anything else! It will get more and more content as TV show licenses with foxtel expire.

Oh and random fact, while traveling international my Netflix still worked, it just picked up what was available in that country. For instance we had Modern Family available when we were in the Netherlands!

LowGuido - 16 June 2015 08:57 PM

I have been using the 30 day free trial of Stan to watch Better Call Saul, and I gotta say..
I wont be continuing after the free trial is over.
im not really impressed with the quality.

Do you mean the video quality or quality of content?

The internet is too crappy in Falls Creek staff accom for me to have any lol.

TJswish - 17 June 2015 09:09 AM

The internet is too crappy in Falls Creek staff accom for me to have any lol.

Yeah, as much as I like the idea of streaming services (not just video), the reality doesn’t quite match the dream yet.

Signed up for Netflix on opening weekend because my apartment in Thredbo doesn’t have a TV.
LOVING IT!!

Looked into getting a wireless set up for my laptop but soon found out Netflix burns through almost 1GB of data an hour (wireless internet is abou $10/GB).
Then I discovered I could run my iphone through my projector with a $80 cable (I have unlimited data/calls/text for $2/day).

I have been slamming Netflix with Optus 3G connection no problem and it looks fantastic projected onto my wall. The screen size is about 3m wide X 2m tall.

But unless we get some snow I’ll have watch everything on there by the end of winter.  lol