The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Zealand 2014

Hello from Coronet Peak!

Trying to upload a photo - if you can’t see a photo it didn’t work! LOL

It worked!

But dammit I forgot it doesn’t like Portrait!

Haha when in NZ do as the locals and eat Japanese!

I’d happily swap places with you could go another round in QT/Wanaka!

Off to remarks tomorrow if we can get a run to the bus stop in the morning. So fingers crossed this storm holds off a bit :D

I am at Cardrona this morning. And I am stoked it is currently snowing!

Anyone know if you can buy a ticket on the bus to remarks in the morning or does it have to be from in town?

DIARIES DOWNUNDER — EPISODE 4: EXPLORING THE SOUTHERN ALPS

Is anyone thinking of doing a season In NZ this year, keeping my options open if my luck runs out in Aus ( already been turn down by Hotham) 
What’s the low down on housing do I just head over being booked into a hostel then go on the house hunt or is it possible to line something up while i’m still at home? Is anyone heading over this season and looking for a house mate? If so let me know :D
As far as interviews go for liftie do they want you to come over or will they do a Skype interview?
What’s peoples choice of mountain to work at and why?
I’ve been to Queenstown so I know it’s an awesome place and would be pretty sweet to do a season there.
Let me know your thoughts people cheese

leasha101 - 28 March 2015 07:02 PM

Is anyone thinking of doing a season In NZ this year, keeping my options open if my luck runs out in Aus ( already been turn down by Hotham) 
What’s the low down on housing do I just head over being booked into a hostel then go on the house hunt or is it possible to line something up while i’m still at home? Is anyone heading over this season and looking for a house mate? If so let me know :D
As far as interviews go for liftie do they want you to come over or will they do a Skype interview?
What’s peoples choice of mountain to work at and why?
I’ve been to Queenstown so I know it’s an awesome place and would be pretty sweet to do a season there.
Let me know your thoughts people cheese

First post, just stumbled across this site.

You’d need to be applying now. I work on Roundhill in Tekapo, we already have most of our staff for the season. I did my interview via skype for last years season but basically already had the job thanks to contacts I had already working there. We get staff accomodation provided, this year I’ve been asked to live in the managers old house with 3 others returning as they’ve now built in the township itself. So I’ll be living right on the lake about 15km along gravel road from the township, quite isolated and idyllic, can’t wait! I know all of the smaller fields provide accommodation, unsure of the bigger ones surrounding Queenstown and Wanaka.I can pretty much guarantee you won’t save any money at all working and living in Queenstown, but if you’re happy just getting by then go for it.

Roundhill has a shorter season, I’ll be shredding Remarks, Coronet and Mt Hutt for 2 weeks before we open, and another 2-3 weeks after we close until all fields end their season. Super stoked for that! Where’s everyone here planning on spending the majority of their time?

Hi Phedder,

Welcome to boardworld!

Thanks for sharing the above info. We don’t have too many works from NZ posting on the forums!

Hope you stick around! Introduce yourself to everyone here
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/5/P1620

That’s sick Phedder.

How many staff do they have around Roundhill? do you get overly annoyed with seeing the same small crew everyday? and did you get over the smaller resort by the end of the season?

Sun Peaks was massive and on some days I was a bit over the resort and wanted something more.

Thanks for the welcome guys, will have to chuck up an intro and a pic in the quiver thread at some point!

TJ, I think we’d have around 35ish, and I don’t get annoyed at all. Honestly the crew is the main reason I’m going back for a second season rather than a bigger resort with more terrain. Such an awesome vibe, got along great with everyone and 99% of customers were awesome. It’s a commercial field with a club field vibe. It was my first full season, so the terrain did me well enough for honing my skills. We had a poor snow year and never managed to get our rope tow open, but if we do it’s the longest and steepest tow in the world which opens up our terrain immensely, 700m+ of vertical. No chance I’ll ever be bored when it’s open! Plus the shorter season should help, giving me lots of time off at the start and end of the season to hit the bigger fields, and Ohau and Dobson are both close enough and cheap enough for days off when I want a change of scenery.

Here’s the best video I know of for it, apologies for the majority of footage being skiers but it shows just how awesome it can be.