The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Washing outerwear. What ‘normal’ detergents are safe?

My outerwear is pretty new so doesn’t really need to be revived with nikwax or techwash, but it’s got some grease and crud on it so it could definately use a wash.

I’ve seen conflicting advice regarding what detergents are safe for outwear fabrics. Some say don’t use liquid detergents, some say don’t use powdered detergents..

What home washing detergents have you used to get rid of crud without compromising the functionality of your gear?

Am I just being overly cautious?

I generally use Nikwax Tech Wash whenever I wash my outerwear. It’s definitely the best option if you’ve got high quality outerwear and you don’t mind paying the additional cost.

That said, I’ve used gentle liquid detergent before, and it’s fine to do so. Don’t use powdered detergent.

This is straight off the Gore-Tex website:

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions

Cool, thanks Jez.

Tech Wash it is. I can’t be sure whats in all the liquid detergents so I guess it’s best to stay on the safe side.

For regular non goretex outerwear, make sure you put it straight into the dryer on low after washing. It revitalizes the DWR on it making it last longer.

P.S. I use tech wash but from McNett.

If you have DWR it also pays to use the Nikwax (or equivalent) repellent rinse. (you do not have to rinse this when used, you just wash with this like it was detergent, and then spin before going straight into the dryer.)

I always use a regular liquid detergent (Tide), the standard one. No problem whatsoever.

I just took my stuff to the dry cleaners… Yeah it cost a bit of money but it all came back perfect and no effort on my behalf lol.

I wash mine with Lux Soap flakes.

These are hand for various cleaning of items (not just clothes) where as Tech Wash isn’t

ozgirl - 05 January 2015 12:28 PM

I wash mine with Lux Soap flakes.

These are hand for various cleaning of items (not just clothes) where as Tech Wash isn’t

And judging by the box it’s like a big cuddle from mum for your outerwear LOL

LOL

Its works who cares!

Like Jez I’ve always used Nikwax tech wash. It’s only a few dollars a bottle if you chuck it in with other stuff in a US order. Think it’s something like $20 from Kathmandu in which case it would be more economical to wash it with angels tears.

Yeah I got a bottle on special from Katmandu for like $16. Quick wash and a blst in the spin dryer and they are good to go. Unfortunately the Tech wash didn’t get out any of the stains on my pants, but meh… what ya gonna do. As long as they keep me warm I don’t really care smile

Sunlight soap on the stains?

I have a white jacket - Lux soap gets all the stains out tongue laugh

Ahh it’s all good. Probably replace these pants after the next trip anyway ^_^

Don’t wash it, stay as a snow rat