The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboards you want to know more about…

hey amine, what can you tell me about the greats Jeremy as told me a fair bit just some more info would be great.
many thanks

Hey Damo - yup for sure.
The GREATS is a (top end) all mountain FS weapon, and ever since it’s inception into the range, its been on of AUS’s favorite boards in the YES. line up.  Its loaded with tech, making it a super responsive ride, but its also a board that’s very easy to ride as well.  “Performance meets Fun” is how I describe THE GREATS.

My favourite part of this board is the Asym Sidecut - where we put a tighter sidecut radius on the heelside (versus) the toeside, which makes the ride of this board feel very ‘balanced’, even when you run a wide FS orientated stance (which can make it harder to really drive a heelside turn).

And then there is the creative story behind this board, which I am pretty into as well.  SO - the owners of YES (Romain DeMarchi, DCP, JP Solberg) have been very influential in shaping ‘modern day snowboarding’ on almost every level!  And this board is there way of paying homage to the riders who have influenced them.  I guess in some ways it’s a history lesson for some of the younger guys in the sport who dont really know too much about the sports forefathers (like MIKE RANQUET - check this link of his speech for when he was inducted into TWS’s Hall Of Fame at the riders poll awards a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXtfI6HgM9o  ) and for others, its a great excuse to have some of the sports most iconic photographs on the topsheet of your epic all mountain board!!!

If you need any more info juts let me know!

amine - 28 July 2014 09:47 AM

My favourite part of this board is the Asym Sidecut - where we put a tighter sidecut radius on the heelside (versus) the toeside,

Forgive me if this is a super dumb question and I am about to embarrass myself, but doesn’t this mean that there should be goofy and regular versions of this board? Or am I missing something really simple and obvious?
I’m a goofy and my husband is a regular - If we were to ride the same board, my heel side is his toe side.

thank you!!! I currently ride a bataleon golaith which I love but have decided to give the greats ago, im pretty excited about it just hope it doesn’t disappoint

cords - 28 July 2014 07:31 PM
amine - 28 July 2014 09:47 AM

My favourite part of this board is the Asym Sidecut - where we put a tighter sidecut radius on the heelside (versus) the toeside,

Forgive me if this is a super dumb question and I am about to embarrass myself, but doesn’t this mean that there should be goofy and regular versions of this board? Or am I missing something really simple and obvious?
I’m a goofy and my husband is a regular - If we were to ride the same board, my heel side is his toe side.

Yes, there’s a simple solution. The board is a true twin. There is no nose and tail. There is only a heel edge and toe edge. They actually label the heel edge and toe edge, so you just set it up accordingly. Your nose would be Freddy’s tail and vice versa, but the board would ride the exact same. Does that make sense?

yep it does and I thought about it being a twin and that being possible. Maybe its just me but I dislike the idea of having to ride a board with the graphic ‘upside down’.

Maybe I have undiagnosed OCD or something but the idea of that is somewhat of a turn-off for me. Of course I am not having a go at YES and am well aware of my freedom not to buy that particular product, as well as the impracticality and impossibility of them putting out regular and goofy editions of the board. It was just that sentence from Amine that made me think about it smile

Anyone can explain how Burton’s freeride geometry really works? I know what it does which is tapered board that ride like a twin on hard pack. I’ve tried it on the Burton Flight Attendant and I must say it does work even though it doesn’t feel 100% like a true twin.

cords - 28 July 2014 10:08 PM

yep it does and I thought about it being a twin and that being possible. Maybe its just me but I dislike the idea of having to ride a board with the graphic ‘upside down’.

Maybe I have undiagnosed OCD or something but the idea of that is somewhat of a turn-off for me. Of course I am not having a go at YES and am well aware of my freedom not to buy that particular product, as well as the impracticality and impossibility of them putting out regular and goofy editions of the board. It was just that sentence from Amine that made me think about it smile

The graphics on their Asymetrical Boards are all Mirror Image for that reason!!!!!

^^ Yep. What Mizu said. There is no “upside down”. grin

skip11 - 29 July 2014 03:41 AM

Anyone can explain how Burton’s freeride geometry really works? I know what it does which is tapered board that ride like a twin on hard pack. I’ve tried it on the Burton Flight Attendant and I must say it does work even though it doesn’t feel 100% like a true twin.

Answer from Shane Carter, Burton Australia Brand Manager:

“Basically due to the board’s bend and shape when sitting flat on snow board that is engaged with snow is almost twin in shape and ride also when put on edge it will never feel exactly like a twin due to taper and elongated contact points but is super quick turning and edging that you would expect from a directional deck.

The boards with freeride geometry have setback camber and a sidecut that is centered on your stance to create a twin freestyle feel when riding flat base.

Boards for 15 with this include
Flight attendant, landlord, landlord split and anti social”

Mizu Kuma - 29 July 2014 06:08 AM
cords - 28 July 2014 10:08 PM

The graphics on their Asymetrical Boards are all Mirror Image for that reason!!!!!

ahhhhh! Fancy!

Amine, how come YES discontinued the 156 size for the PYL?

Hey Skip - excellent question!  This size was not getting enough support in global sales so they decided to retire it temporarily.  Which is a bummer as it was fairly well supported in the AUS market (we ride short boards!!). 

BUT THE GOOD NEWS…...is that it has been included back in the 1516 line again, which I think is great news.  (I wish I could tell you more about this, but its all very “classified” at this stage, but what I can say is that there are some very exciting things happening in this area for the YES. 1516 line).  STAY TUNED!

Why does Lib Tech changes the core for most of their board? Is this something that we can actually feel or is it better for people maybe to buy last season’s board at a discounted price?

Curious…
Burton Progression.
Is it a board specifically made for hire?

I was edumacating a couple newbie converts this week - both on progressions.
I had a look at them and they looked like flat camber to me, but a google search reckons they are rocker (really?).
But on the Burton site I couldn’t even find them which made me wonder if they are a ‘made for the beginner hire market’ only board.