The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboards you want to know more about…

LMB - 09 August 2014 11:10 AM

Curious…
Burton Progression.
Is it a board specifically made for hire?

I was edumacating a couple newbie converts this week - both on progressions.
I had a look at them and they looked like flat camber to me, but a google search reckons they are rocker (really?).
But on the Burton site I couldn’t even find them which made me wonder if they are a ‘made for the beginner hire market’ only board.

Hey LMB,

Yes, I believe they are rentals for beginners only. I can ask Burton to confirm but I am fairly sure that’s the case.

They are definitely rockered in the nose and tail, but it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a flat section between the feet for a bit of stability.

I’ll find out to confirm.

skip11 - 09 August 2014 10:52 AM

Why does Lib Tech changes the core for most of their board? Is this something that we can actually feel or is it better for people maybe to buy last season’s board at a discounted price?

No one knows anything about this?

^^ I’ll ask them and get back to you.

Hey LMB,

I spoke to Burton and I was able to confirm the following:

The Burton Progression snowboard is part of their Experience LTR program, made specifically for resorts and rental stores it is not available for sale. This board features their V Rocker profile—which is full rocker.

They have another snowboard—the basic LTR snowboard—which is what they put beginners on. This board has rocker in nose and tail, and flat between the feet for stability.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Thanks Jez smile

Official response:

Mervin Manufacturing being Lib Tech, GNU and Roxy Snowboards are constantly on the lookout for new materials, and new concepts to make snowboarding easier and better for everyone. They are never going to rest on past achievements.

Because they have found/developed new woods and cores, Columbian Gold (which was the best wood they had in past years) has been trickled down to base models such as the Carbon Credit. New woods include Aspen XL, Power A, Polonia and lightweight end grain Balsa in the new “Firepower” cores. The boards are markedly lighter and have more pop than ever.

rider26 - 11 August 2014 11:32 AM

Hey LMB,

I spoke to Burton and I was able to confirm the following:

The Burton Progression snowboard is part of their Experience LTR program, made specifically for resorts and rental stores it is not available for sale. This board features their V Rocker profile—which is full rocker.

They have another snowboard—the basic LTR snowboard—which is what they put beginners on. This board has rocker in nose and tail, and flat between the feet for stability.

I hope that helps clear things up.

ahh good to know.  I thought as much but the lads were asking for board info and recommendations for purchase and it helps to know what exactly they were riding.
I’m surprised they were v rocker - they looked awfully flat to me! LOL
One of them started on the LTR, but had issues with the bindings so they switched him to the Progression.

Good to know the hire boards are targeted to aid development rather than the full camber stiff things I learned on! smile

Can anyone shed some info on never summer snowboards? I’ve come across them when searching for a new snowboard but cannot find any reviews that are current.

danho - 11 August 2014 09:15 PM

Can anyone shed some info on never summer snowboards? I’ve come across them when searching for a new snowboard but cannot find any reviews that are current.

My offspring have NS Evo, Raptor and two Cobras between them.
Awesome boards.

The Cobra and Raptor better in powder, but they demoed them at Thredbo last season and were sold on the performance.
The Evo is outstanding all rounder.

Thanks Jeremy :D. I was wondering why the Columbian Gold is now used for the base models. I wish they offer more details on the cores though, like what exactly is Power A. So ambigious haha.

I’ve written a review for the Never Summer Proto HD somewhere in this forum.

Hey guys,

I’m after a bit more info on the Yes Ghost Tadashi Fuse.

Currently I ride a Carbon Credit, and am after something a fair bit different - something I can charge, carve, and hit the bigger jumps with, whilst still being playful/flexible at times. Having the option for good pow riding would be good too. I’m about 65kg, and ride a 153 atm, so looking for something around that.

Trying to decide between the TDF, Basic, and Greats - have heard great reviews on the latter two, but haven’t heard much about the first one.

Any info would be great!

Each of those boards is different in their own way, TDF/ghost is a full camber board so will ride differently to the others which are CamRock and won’t be quite as forgiving/playful as the Asym/Basic which is something you stated you wanted. Going by what you want out of the board I’d suggest the Basic - it’s a great all mountain board that will do it all and it’s a little cheaper than the asym/greats so you can put that money into your next trip instead.

The only thing is deciding if you want the 152 or 154 which will come down to how tall you are and where you’re going to be doing the majority of your riding as your weight will be fine with either option I believe.

I’d also be keepin an eye out for YES’s new Standard!!!!!

While I haven’t ridden one yet, and there’s no reviews out there, I reckon the Standard is the board that fit ya description of what ya want!!!!!

Maybe Amine could help with more info in regards to this?????

I want to know lots of info on the Arbor Shreddy Kreuger!!!!!

Pretty please!!!!!

Hey Wizey.  Stoked you are considering the GHOST (which is the new name for the TDF - Inspired by Tadashi’s mind blowing solo film projects last year) as its such an amazing board, but it often gets hidden in the shadow of the GREATS!!!!

All 3 of the boards you have mentioned will certainly fit the description of what you are after. And they can certainly all charge if needed, you will have no issues there!! The best way to briefly profile their differences is,
- The BASIC will be the most ‘playful’ out of the 3
- The GREATS will be the most solid/stiff out of the 3
- The GHOST will be the most reactive / responsive out of the 3 (this due to the full camber) - and I would certainly say its more of a solid MID FLEX board, so still ok for park riding, but as you know camber generally rides longer than CAMrock, so it will be more suited to a rider who is more aggressive (or has higher ambitions to be more aggressive) with his riding.

Please bear in mind that CAMBER is the prevalent characteristic of all these boards - so stability at speed is no issue with any f the options. But as the BASIC / GREATS have rocker in the tip/tail (CAMrock), they will generally be considered more manoeuvrable.

Hope this info helps!!! 
(Sorry for the delay I am NZ - looks like some pow is on the way).