The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What to wear on the hill!

So obviously a jacket and pants, but what about under that?

Under your jacket do you prefer a loose tee, compression gear, thermals? What about under your pants, thermals, skins, shorts?!

I tend to favour compression shirts and shorts. If it is cold, I will go with thermals.

Honestly i only wear airblaster merino ninja suit its the best shit out there, and it keeps you worm and try,

this is what i wear usually

1) Airlbaster ninja suit
2)burton ak jacket gortex (if its hot just fyve hoodie)
3) special bland gortex pants

and i was never cold….

Bottom;
3/4 skins under pants if really cold maybe thermals as well.

Top;
Some form of singlet/sports top with built in ‘protection’.
Thermal top
Either vest or soft shell if really cold
Jacket

I wear skins most days, on even warm days (like today) I wear thermals still as it helps wick away moisture and therefore keep you cooler.

When really cold (japan) I wear thermals over skins.

I then usually wear thermal a tee a light jumper and 3 way jacket.

I am a cold frog and prefer to be too hot than cold!!

ozgirl - 01 September 2013 09:59 PM

I wear skins most days, on even warm days (like today) I wear thermals still as it helps wick away moisture and therefore keep you cooler.

When really cold (japan) I wear thermals over skins.

I then usually wear thermal a tee a light jumper and 3 way jacket.

I am a cold frog and prefer to be too hot than cold!!

Reptile wink

I am extremely warm-blooded.

I have an insulated jacket though and under that I wear a t-shirt and a singlet.

Singlet is tucked into either bike pants or long thermal pants, depending how cold it is and that is about it!

Just thermals for me… Have often thought about buying skins/icebreakers etc but always spend my money on beer wink

Depends on the weather with how many layers though!

I have thought of trying skins, never got there though. What do you think they do for you personally??

I wear Icebreaker thermals and shell pants / jackets. If its snowing, I wear a light polar fleece top and tracky dacks. Not so much for warm, but to slow the water hitting my skin. I find I get wet when sitting on the lift as the snow falls on me, then melts.

Never had this problem overseas smile

Compression garments for me are the bomb they are a two in one garment.

A couple of years ago when in the middle of my training I could barely walk when I would stop for petrol on the drive home, I would also get leg cramps whilst driving and I even had one night where I couldn’t sleep due to the cramping.

I started wearing then all day & then the drive home as well. Particularly heavy training days and I would go to bed with them still on.

They are great for overseas for the fatigue that comes from riding powder!

So to sum up, I wear them to combat leg fatigue and as thermals they certainly do no harm! And at about the same price as ice breakers what have you got to lose!

I’ve always just worn regular leggings under my pants, and then a t-shirt or singlet and an old hoodie. I warm up really quick when i exercise so never really needed thermal stuff.

I get very hot very quickly and easy. Cannot do layers I get too sweaty! (in Australia that is)

Normal days I just have pants, tshirt and jacket and beanie. On cold windy days I just add a face mask.
Hot days (like yesterday) I just wear pants, tee, cap and hoody

I have never worn compression leggings, only shorts. Will have to give the leggings a go!

I wear a pair of tights (Kmart ones usually) under my pants, then if its windy but sunny, a long sleeve shirt, and singlet under my hoodie, if its just sunny, a tshirt and singlet under my hoodie, and on cold days, I just put my jacket ontop of this, but rarely zip it up… I find I over heat alot, even on cold days, lol

blizzard_22 - 02 September 2013 10:44 AM

I have never worn compression leggings, only shorts. Will have to give the leggings a go!

I think it really is a personal preference!

If you are happy with the shorts then stick with them!

h0z - 02 September 2013 10:51 AM

I wear a pair of tights

Footless tights?

Wearing tights with feet and then socks are really not good as it cause your feet to move around in your boot and also cause friction!

Here is an example of what NOT to wear!

Dude at mid station at Perisher.

Collared shirt, blazer, man purse, jeans! And ski boots!