The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

First time rider

Hey

in the next school holidays im heading over to Mt Hotham in Victoria with my school and we are hitting up the slopes, as i have never snowboarded before i would be very thankful if anyone was willing to give me a few tips before i hit the snow for the first time.

and also does it help that i skateboard at a reasonable level??

Hey Daniel, welcome to BW. You’ll probably be doing a lesson if you’re going with your school. If not, start there. It will get you on the right track.

Being able to skate definitely helps. Everyone I know that started snowboarding and used to skate picked it up a lot quicker than those who had never skated. However, snowboarding and skating technique are still pretty different though.

Hey Daniel, welcome to Boardworld. cool smile

You’ve come to the right place and you’ve got the right attitude. The more you can understand now, the easier your progression will be when you hit the slopes for the first time.

Firstly, I strongly recommend you take lessons when you get there. Some people opt not to take lessons, and being honest, this really slows down their progression. Secondly, broken wrists are the most common injury amongst novice snowboarders. You can pick up snowboarding-specific wrist guards at any leading snowboard store for around $35. These wrist guards are low profile, comfy, and are worn under your gloves, so people won’t even see them. It could be the best investment you make (no one wants to be in a cast for six weeks).

OK, on to the fun stuff. I would highly recommend you read through this thread I put together: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2596/

The link above covers everything you will learn in “basic snowboarding”. I have broken it down, lesson by lesson, skill by skill, so you can understand exactly what you will be learning and exactly how to do it. I know it’s a bit dry, but these skills are absolutely essential to progressing as a snowboarder. Read through and watch the videos. Even having a small understanding of how it all works will help you progress a lot quicker.

Of course, if you have any questions, please ask us. Either myself or one of the other instructors will be happy to help you. Welcome to the community. shaka

Yeww have fun bro you will froth!!

Mcgoo - 26 June 2013 01:04 PM

allllll day! good luck out there!

Mcgoo - 26 June 2013 01:04 PM

THIS ^^^

Yeah get into it once you go you get hooked!

thanks guys! thats a great help, i have already got the wrist protectors after my school gave me a whole speech about it, i have also got the basic equipment all ready. I really appreciate all your advice   grin

Daniel.tolz - 25 June 2013 11:16 PM

and also does it help that i skateboard at a reasonable level??

It sure does. From my experience, those with another boardsport under their belt pick up snowboarding pretty quick. You’ll probably be able to figure it out just by watching others.

I’m predicting turns within the hour, a grab off a small jump by the end of day one - let us know how you go.

As for falls / wrist guards (there will be many falls!), the best thing you can is keep a clenched fist and don’t put your hands out. Easier said than done…

Good luck!

Bend your knees!

Get a lesson as the first day is the hardest unless your a natural. You will fall and fall and fall and fall…but keep smile having fun as it gets easier.

Be prepared to now be addicted to spending all your money on snowboarding and planning your life around the mountains. It’s a great thing to be involved in.

you have to be cocky to be good. So talk yourself up like your Travis Rice! And for the love of god don’t fall over on your first lift!

I had skied before and boarded one day when I was a lot younger. On my first day I went with a mate who basically gave me one run down bourke street and then just took off. I don’t know if surfing and skateboarding helped but after a little bit of “falling leaf” by lunch I was keeping up and pushing. (with plenty of great stacks)

For me this was the best because it pushed me but if you have the time a lesson is defiantly worth it!

What bkrtron said is 100% true, my life revolves around snowboarding and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Can’t wait to get up there soon!

Honestly bro just watch Rick and Jill, from watching there step by step videos , you will be shredding the mountain in no time

I’m going to give a thumbs up to knee pads and impact shorts, saved me a lot of bruises smile

DigitalReaver - 27 June 2013 10:17 PM

I’m going to give a thumbs up to knee pads and impact shorts, saved me a lot of bruises smile

Probably would have been awesome when I was learning… These days I don’t end up with too many bruises etc so the extra bulk doesn’t suit.

Wrist guards are pretty important when learning since you’ll fall on your arms a lot…

Butt protector is a given with a learner. You will be grateful. Hell its still useful for non beginners. Landing on your tailbone is painful as f**k

deanobruce - 29 June 2013 08:42 AM

Landing on your tailbone is painful as f**k

It sure f#(ken is!! too many times have a been that butt hurt i cant even talk and im just gasping for air big surprise

Bought these pants for $40 half way through last season, not bulky or anything, i dont even notice they are on, they are an absolute ass saver when you land your butt on ice, hard snow, trees, rails or anything else, i dont ride a day without them

ill have to look out for the “butt protector”

cheers for that