The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

10% snowboard, 90% rider - here’s the proof

The saying goes that if you’re a good snowboarder, you can ride anything. Well here’s the proof. Colton Maddy went a whole season shredding his plastic K-mart snowboard. I think he did pretty well considering.

Well folks, here it is. The long awaited Kmart board edit from Colton Maddy. We had fun making this one!

Filmed and edited by Mike Rapaich

Additional filming by Travis Doyle and Cody Paulson

A good reminder for all riders. Myself definitely included.
Talk about locking into a rail! hahaha

If u need any more reminding that all the skill is in the rider. Just watch Scotty Lago and Anti Autti riding for flow. They’re bindings are just awful. But it doesn’t slow them down much.

Way to steal my post and make a thread about it Jez raspberry

A lot of the stacks look like they’re down to the “bindings”.

Mudhoney - 22 May 2013 05:03 PM

A lot of the stacks look like they’re down to the “bindings”.

Bindings?? What bindings?? I didn’t see any bindings!! Haha!  LOL

He had straps lol

TJswish - 22 May 2013 05:03 PM

Way to steal my post and make a thread about it Jez raspberry

I guess it’s a bit late to blame Box Head for this? LOL

Sorry mate, didn’t see your post. red face

Haha!

No way he would have wasted a whole season using that, surely! Pretty amazing though!

It’s a really cool edit, and he’s an awesome rider - but it’s not at all surprising he was never shown bombing black runs, carving trenches or slashing deep pow. All of a sudden the “90% rider” equation would start to crumble.

Perhaps what this really indicates is that riding rails isn’t ‘real’ snowboarding?

chucky - 22 May 2013 08:49 PM

It’s a really cool edit, and he’s an awesome rider - but it’s not at all surprising he was never shown bombing black runs, carving trenches or slashing deep pow. All of a sudden the “90% rider” equation would start to crumble.

Perhaps what this really indicates is that riding rails isn’t ‘real’ snowboarding?

Trolling by any chance?

Nah, serious.

Well,“serious” in that I’m putting the question out there to promote discussion.

Let’s face it, that board handled rails FAR better than it handled snow, and there’s no way that board could have handled the ‘real’ snow conditions I listed above - you’d need an actual snowboard for that. So what does that say about rails? Perhaps rails are something you do while snowboarding, but aren’t actually ‘real’ snowboarding (because for that, you need an actual snowboard)?

Part agree with you chucky.
Just like the flying tomato wont compete in big mountain events wink

Could your attitude toward rails simply be because you don’t ride rails?
The park and rails is just as much snowboarding as flatland tricks or half pipe or bombing a the steeps or carving groomers.

Maybe the “real snowboarding” your talking about is more skiing than snowboarding. LOL

chucky - 23 May 2013 12:45 AM

Well,“serious” in that I’m putting the question out there to promote discussion.

Let’s face it, that board handled rails FAR better than it handled snow, and there’s no way that board could have handled the ‘real’ snow conditions I listed above - you’d need an actual snowboard for that. So what does that say about rails? Perhaps rails are something you do while snowboarding, but aren’t actually ‘real’ snowboarding (because for that, you need an actual snowboard)?

I have this discussion with my powder addicted mate all the time. He wouldn’t go out to ride if it wasn’t a powder day. I have tasted powder and also eaten shit in parks.

Snowboarding is snowboarding no matter how you look at it. It’s like street skateboarding to vert its all the same as long as you are out having a shred, giving it a go. RIDE ON! RIGHT ON!

This dude is clearly a great snowboard so he could be riding a 2X4 with bindings on it and be shredding. Now if he started with that board and continues to use it that’s another story.

chucky - 23 May 2013 12:45 AM

Does come into play with Signal ETT? Some of their boards (look at most recent one the pine derby) are not “real” snowboards and dont handle the snow that well, but I would still call what they do snowboarding

When I started snowboarding, there were no rails or boxes, and when these features started to appear, it was viewed by many (myself included) as simply skateboarding on snow - not ‘real’ snowboarding. The reality of the situation is that you DO need a snowboard to ride steeps and carve trenches, but you DON’T need a snowboard to ride rails and boxes - so that opinion definitely has some validity.